Stay on Board at HMC?

LindaSSF

Ribs have been on the menu at the HMC BBQ each time we have been there. They are not good though - I like my own way better.

Taste, in so many things, is very subjective. :)

I used to make ribs but no longer do. I keep that as a HMC treat. :D

The last time I was on HMC, I was just recovering from a broken foot. I still had to wear a boot. Since I had two, I went in the water. A wet boot, limited mobility and I embarrasingly had to get help getting out of the water.

This time, foot is healed but I am still wary of the sand.

Hi Linda -

As a self proclaimed klutz, I feel your pain on the original HMC incident and understand the reluctance to go back.

I frequently stay on board when everyone else is frolicking on the beach and LOVE having run of the dam ship! You have your choice of deck chairs and there is no line in the Lido.

Either way - enjoy and good luck avoiding any broken bones this time!!!

Our upcoming cruise has two stops at HMC. For one we have rented a clamshell so we can lie in the shade and read. For the second stop we will just stay aboard and enjoy the crowd free pool and the general peace and quiet.

The stop in April will be different as we are part of a great group of CCers who have booked the Oasis. Now that will be fun for sure. No lineups for food and no crowds.

Count us among the people who find HMC (or any of the private islands) to be a wasted day of possible port time.

Growing up in the northeast on the sea shore and now living in Florida, neither of us have ever seen the enhancement of spending the whole day at the beach.

A swim in the ocean is something you go to the beach for about a half hour - 1 hour and then went back home.

On private island days, we wait until the stampede is over, go ashore for about a half hour to either take a fast dip or just walk the shore (water is too cold for us when the water temperature dips down into the 70's) and then back to the ship for a quiet lunch and relaxing on the empty ship.

Regardless s of the cruise line, food on board at lunch is usually better than the food at the BBQ on shore.

On a related topic, how easy or difficult is the tender boarding from the ship and dock? My mom is going to be 78 by the time we sail and I have a few concerns.

The easiest tendering you will ever do. Large tenders that are based on the island, roomy, open, lots of seats with easy access. She should be fine, enjoy your cruise :D

On a related topic, how easy or difficult is the tender boarding from the ship and dock? My mom is going to be 78 by the time we sail and I have a few concerns.

The easiest tendering you will ever do. Large tenders that are based on the island, roomy, open, lots of seats with easy access. She should be fine, enjoy your cruise :D

As mentioned, very easy. Just don't make the mistake we did, which was to be some of the first pax onto the tender, then we sat in an unshaded part of the tender. We were baked and parched by the time the tender was full. :eek: We won't make that mistake again :)

We've been to both HMC & Labadee (Royal C/Celebrity) several times. In our opinion, HAL does a much better job ... the beaches are nicer, for one thing ... the chairs/etc are in better shape ...

We haven't been to either with children, but there is probably more for kids to do at Labadee than HMC ...

The food is equally mediocre ... but on Labadee you can order a Labadoozie (or two!) Yum!!

As noted, very easy. In each direction you board the tender on one deck, and leave on the other.

There is a ramp at the aft of the tender that can be used instead of taking the stairs. The ramp is used to move the food service trollies, but there's no reason that people who need it can't use it.

Stay on the bottom level of the tender to get the shade.

Agree with you that the food is mediocre in both HMC and Labadee. We do not think either beach is up to much. Far too crowded and commercial for our liking.

There are other much more attractive and much less crowded beaches that we can visit on other stops. The only advantage to Labadee is that we do not have to tender. We stay on board at HMC and enjoy having fewer people at the pool.

My DH is fine getting on and off - and he is partially disabled.

Food aside - I think HMC is absolutely gorgeous, and not to be missed, even if just for a few hours.

As noted, very easy. In each direction you board the tender on one deck, and leave on the other.

There is a ramp at the aft of the tender that can be used instead of taking the stairs. The ramp is used to move the food service trollies, but there's no reason that people who need it can't use it.

Stay on the bottom level of the tender to get the shade.

Many thanks for all of the helpful answers, very glad to know about the ramp. Mom is ok on level areas but not so steady on stairs or climbing. Ultimately she will be the one to decide whether she stays on the ship or comes with me to the island. This will be our first time stopping a HMC so I am looking forward to my time there.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Forums mobile app