River Cruising for Independent Travelers?

Zoom77

Hello,

"River Cruising" sounds interesting but I am not sure if the way I imagine it actually exists.

I visited the website of Viking River Cruises and the routes seem nice. The photos from their new ships, particularly the cabins seem very nice too.

But when I read a bit more it seems that what they offer is a complete organized tour, where they take you to tours with buses, they take you to places to eat etc, which is not exactly what I am looking for.

What I would like is just a nice "flooding 5 star hotel" (or 4*) where we would arrange our day at each location ourselves and any excursions would be optional.

The other thing I would want on the ship would be breakfast, plus a few restaurants where we could order to eat what we want whenever we want (nothing too fancy required in terms of dining)

Is there such thing?

I like to think that excursions are always optional. It's your vacation and no one forces you to do anything during the time you are in port. That said, you don't get a refund for not going on an included excursion or for eating meals onshore rather than on the ship.

In reality you are paying for meals and guides/excursions whether you use them or not. I am not aware of any line that provides only transportation and hotel services while offering meals and tours on a pay as you go basis.

Thanks. For meals I wouldn't mind to pay for them as part of the package, I just want to be free to choose when and what I eat.

But paying for all those excursions brings the price much higher than it would otherwise be. I would much prefer if they were optional. Too bad no company offers this yet :(

Thanks. For meals I wouldn't mind to pay for them as part of the package, I just want to be free to choose when and what I eat.

But paying for all those excursions brings the price much higher than it would otherwise be. I would much prefer if they were optional. Too bad no company offers this yet :(

Well, there are -- but not for English speakers. Especially among cruises marketing to North Americans the trend is quite the other way, with a game of one-upmanship on who can be the most all-inclusive. And it seems to be working, so I wouldn't expect it to change.

Hello zoom77,

as your location is Cyprus you might want to have a closer look at the European lines, especially those marketing in the UK. Riviera Travel is UK-based and CroisiEurope has river cruises that are offered on the UK market. They have a slightly different policy and strategy as regards all- inclusive drinks, and optional tours can differ from those offered on the North-American/Australian market.

Arosa, a German company, has recently introduced options that accommodate English-speaking guests. Perhaps have a look at their website, too.

Have fun planning.

notamermaid

I had a brief look at CroisiEurope, and it appeared that they have some cruises where many of the excursions are optional, and others where most are included. So I suggest you have a look.

None of these boats will have a "few restaurants", most only have one I think.

The other thing is to look closely at the itinerary--many of these included excursions provide transportation to places reasonably distant from the dock--not places you could walk to. I have this dream of just being able to get off the boat and walk around some charming town or other--not sure if that's really feasible on most itineraries.

Thanks for your answers, I will into those other companies.

The other thing is to look closely at the itinerary--many of these included excursions provide transportation to places reasonably distant from the dock--not places you could walk to. I have this dream of just being able to get off the boat and walk around some charming town or other--not sure if that's really feasible on most itineraries.

That is how I imagine it also ... I don't necessarily need every stop to be a charming town, big cities are fine with me also. I just prefer if the places the ship docks are places of interest and we don't need to drive for hours to go to some other place. But generally I don't mind if that happens in a few of the stops.

What I don't like is to be taken at very specific places. Like to visit a specific museum, or even worst a specific commercial establishment where in the end they are trying to sell you things.

I had a brief look at CroisiEurope, and it appeared that they have some cruises where many of the excursions are optional, and others where most are included. So I suggest you have a look.

None of these boats will have a "few restaurants", most only have one I think.

Most itineraries stop in towns/cities walkable from the dock. Where that is not the situation many cruise lines provide shuttles from the dock to a set location in the city center.

What I don't like is to be taken at very specific places. Like to visit a specific museum, or even worst a specific commercial establishment where in the end they are trying to sell you things.

That's not what the included excursions on river cruises are like. They are almost always introductory walking tours of the city or town (in really big cities it would be a panoramic bus tour). But you are free at any time to let the guide know that you are dropping out; the guide will tell you the time and place to meet for the return ride to the ship.

The included Viking tour was usually an overview tour, lasting two or three hours. Sometimes a walking tour, sometimes a bus and walking tour. Many port stays are longer allowing for independent exploring. There are upgraded tours you can purchase as well as extra tours for a price.

We rarely do cruise ship tours but since we paid for tours in our cruise fare we participated. We upgraded a couple and did one evening activity.

Viking has a concierge if anyone needs assistance with extra touring. Or you can per plan extra things to do.

Hi, Zoom,

I just love Cyprus. You live in a very lovely place in the world. River cruising is totally different from Ocean cruising. I have been on 37 ocean cruises but my friend and I will take our first River cruise a year from this month on the Viking Var ship, on the Rhine River.

Jazzbeau is the Moderator of these "River Cruising" threads and I suggest you read his "Stickies" at the top of these threads:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2046067

Donna