What will Island Princess look like after May 2015?

m134

I booked because of the new aft suites as well. L721 in fact with my mother-in-law next door in the vista suite. Might be the same cruise. Maybe we can meet up for a martini on our draconian wrap around balconies.

Brisbane41. How many times have you sailed on the Island? Just curious.

Once back in 2007 LA round trip half Panama Canal transit.

Also been on Sapphire Princess, Diamond Princess, Golden Princess, Sun Princess, Dawn Princess, been on an enlarged Grand class with the P&O line Azura (similar to Crown, Emerald and Ruby). Been on Celebrity Solstice, Radiance of the Seas. The Radiance in particular is not unlike the Island as it is a Panama Canal designed ship. Also been on Aurora, Oriana, Arcadia. There are probably a few others I have forgotten to mention.

I booked because of the new aft suites as well. L721 in fact with my mother-in-law next door in the vista suite. Might be the same cruise. Maybe we can meet up for a martini on our draconian wrap around balconies.

I am L722 on April 23, 2016 FLL to LA... and yes.. that would be nice! :)

No there is nothing positive that can be found. No matter what spin you put on it the changes are draconian, bad for cruising, detracts from the cruise experience and insults the passengers and treats them like garbage. It is a disrespectful act to loyal passengers to do this.

If Princess does not care about what passengers think why should we care about promoting them or putting a positive spin on poor choices.

There is no way in hell I am ever going to blow sunshine up their way and make everything appear great when it is the contrary.

he said it!!!!! He said it... oh thats my new favorite word

Not, what i am saying at all......basically, boiled down......either accept the way Princess seems to be going...book your cruises and enjoy the experiance they offer....OR...find a line that is a better fit to you wants and needs.....I don't like the way princess is evolving either....and guess that in a very few years, I will stop using them altogether.....I like the Big suites with sophisticated decor...nice perk packages and fun itineraries. Princess does do some good itineraries .....but is killing off (and has been since they removed the grand suite from the last several builds in the Grand class ships) the other areas I like in a cruise

I think its a case of well seasoned travellers will not tolerate mediocrity, poor decisions and things being taken away. Please don't insult our intelligence or suggest we should be elated at what little we poor miserable undeserving human beings get. In fact we are just their customers, we don't even deserve a cabin, hell we don't even deserve to cruise. Lets just throw them our money, go back to work and not bother going on holidays. I guess that's how we ungrateful undeserving passengers should be. we are nothing but dirt that should be jumping for joy at the idea of having a simple basic cabin. besides we are just the simple fools that have made them rich. Let them take our money, let them kick us up the pants and thank them for it and beg for more.

Not, what i am saying at all......basically, boiled down......either accept the way Princess seems to be going...book your cruises and enjoy the experiance they offer....OR...find a line that is a better fit to you wants and needs.....I don't like the way princess is evolving either....and guess that in a very few years, I will stop using them altogether.....I like the Big suites with sophisticated decor...nice perk packages and fun itineraries. Princess does do some good itineraries .....but is killing off (and has been since they removed the grand suite from the last several builds in the Grand class ships) the other areas I like in a cruise

For me the solution is somewhat different. Simply blacklist the Princess ships that do not meet my standards and stick to the ships I like.

Right now Island Princess has been blacklisted for life.

I still have the Diamond Princess, Sapphire Princess, Golden Princess, Coral Princess, Star Princess.

I feel some day in the future I too will be finding another cruise line and it may be Celebrity. I may even try high end luxury lines. Until such time that my favourite ships in the Princess fleet are either destroyed like Island Princess or put out of service I will stick with them.

For me the solution is somewhat different. Simply blacklist the Princess ships that do not meet my standards and stick to the ships I like.

Right now Island Princess has been blacklisted for life.

I still have the Diamond Princess, Sapphire Princess, Golden Princess, Coral Princess, Star Princess.

I feel some day in the future I too will be finding another cruise line and it may be Celebrity. I may even try high end luxury lines. Until such time that my favourite ships in the Princess fleet are either destroyed like Island Princess or put out of service I will stick with them.

I'm sure you'll do what's best for you. While doing all this blacklisting just remember the point is to enjoy cruising.

Princess does do some good itineraries .....

The good itineraries are disappearing also as the smaller ships are being disposed of and the newer, larger ships are limited top what ports they can reach.

As an example, the Royal last summer could not go all the way to Stockholm but had to anchor a significant distance away. The magnificent scenery into/out of Stockholm was not to be viewed anymore.

Blacklisting ships seems a tad draconian to me...;)

Though I plan to skip over the cruises sailing on the Royal/Regal and Island as my personal message of displeasure to Princess, and leave room for others who are willing to try them out.

I changed my booking from the Island princess to basically the same cruise on the Coral Princess a month earlier. I decided I would be happier.

I did tell my travel agent (Costco) the reason for the change and asked them to convey the message to Princess, I do not know, however, if they did so. I am trying to decide if I want to follow up with a letter of my own. My experience with suggestions and complaints to cruise lines (most big corporations) is that they really only care about share holders, not customers. I know what your thinking the shareholders don't make money if there are no customers, however, I certain they will continue to fill their ships despite the remodel. There are plenty of people willing to stand in line are brave the crowds. (Disneyland in summer) I know myself well enough to know that I don't enjoy that a crowded atmosphere. This will be my 16th cruise, 3rd with Princess, unless I cruise between now and then on a whim, which could very well happen.

Edited by imescaping

I changed my booking from the Island princess to basically the same cruise on the Coral Princess a month earlier. I decided I would be happier.

I did tell my travel agent (Costco) the reason for the change and asked them to convey the message to Princess, I do not know, however, if they did so. I am trying to decide if I want to follow up with a letter of my own. My experience with suggestions and complaints to cruise lines (most big corporations) is that they really only care about share holders, not customers. I know what your thinking the shareholders don't make money if there are no customers, however, I certain they will continue to fill their ships despite the remodel. There are plenty of people willing to stand in line are brave the crowds. (Disneyland in summer) I know myself well enough to know that I don't enjoy that a crowded atmosphere. This will be my 16th cruise, 3rd with Princess, unless I cruise between now and then on a whim, which could very well happen.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that we canceled out Island Med/TA cruise in Nov.........

They could care less whether you or I cancel any cruise. Most sellout anyway.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that we canceled out Island Med/TA cruise in Nov.........

They could care less whether you or I cancel any cruise. Most sellout anyway.

We booked our cruise of a lifetime to the Meditterean in September on the Island Princess. A couple of months after we booked the cruise and our flights (non refundable) all the information on the changes came out. Unlike those of you who have decided to cancel your cruise on the Island Princess, we cannot because we already have the fights booked. We were so excited as this was a cruise we dreamed of taking when we finally retired this year. Reading all of the negative comments about how horrible the ship will now be with overcrowding, not enough lifeboats, no aft viewing places, no track around the promenade deck, cutting back on entertainment etc. etc. has taken all of the excitement and anticipation we were feeling looking forward to the cruise and turned it into anxiety and apprehension. :eek:

We booked our cruise of a lifetime to the Meditterean in September on the Island Princess. A couple of months after we booked the cruise and our flights (non refundable) all the information on the changes came out. Unlike those of you who have decided to cancel your cruise on the Island Princess, we cannot because we already have the fights booked. We were so excited as this was a cruise we dreamed of taking when we finally retired this year. Reading all of the negative comments about how horrible the ship will now be with overcrowding, not enough lifeboats, no aft viewing places, no track around the promenade deck, cutting back on entertainment etc. etc. has taken all of the excitement and anticipation we were feeling looking forward to the cruise and turned it into anxiety and apprehension. :eek:

For several reasons you should stop being anxious and go back to anticipating your great "cruise of a lifetime."

o You will still be going to all of the ports that you booked this cruise for. But if you are going to use Princess excursions, book them as soon as available so you will not be disappointed with them being full.

o There will be enough survival craft in case of the very remote need to abandon ship.

o There will be plenty of entertainment assuming you have the energy to enjoy it after the busy days in ports. It just will not include the shows that were specific to the Universe Lounge.

o If you have traditional dining, the number of additional passengers will not affect your dining. If you are in anytime, you may have delays being seated if many of your new best friends want their anytime to be the same as yours.

You will have a great cruise.

I also booked a med cruise on the Island and then later read this thread. While it's a little disappointing to know the ship may have been nicer before the drydock ,I won't let the attitudes of those here affect what is in effect for us a trip of a lifetime. In actual fact, with 10 out of 12 days as port days I doubt we will even get to experience half of the ship let alone miss those areas that have changed .

As a business person I understand bottom line . While some may be happy to pay more to keep a few amenities, for me personally I wouldn't be going at all if the cost was to be increased say 15% which might compensate for the additional fares .

Don't let others attitudes influence your excitement about what I'm sure will be a wonderful vacation visiting some amazing places and staying in what im sure we will still find a beautiful ship.

I also booked a med cruise on the Island and then later read this thread. While it's a little disappointing to know the ship may have been nicer before the drydock ,I won't let the attitudes of those here affect what is in effect for us a trip of a lifetime. In actual fact, with 10 out of 12 days as port days I doubt we will even get to experience half of the ship let alone miss those areas that have changed .

As a business person I understand bottom line . While some may be happy to pay more to keep a few amenities, for me personally I wouldn't be going at all if the cost was to be increased say 15% which might compensate for the additional fares .

Don't let others attitudes influence your excitement about what I'm sure will be a wonderful vacation visiting some amazing places and staying in what im sure we will still find a beautiful ship.

The Grand Med Itinerary is more about the ports than the ship. With so much to see during the day you probably won't be doing that much on the ship. I not a fan of a number of the proposed changes but that won't stop me from sailing on the Island for the right itinerary. The Island can still sail into and out of Venice through the Giudecca Canal :)

The Grand Med Itinerary is more about the ports than the ship. With so much to see during the day you probably won't be doing that much on the ship. I not a fan of a number of the proposed changes but that won't stop me from sailing on the Island for the right itinerary. The Island can still sail into and out of Venice through the Giudecca Canal :)

Absolutely!! We have done this itinerary twice and just love the ports. We did this itinerary in 2013 on the Royal Princess, right after she came out, along with stepdaughter, husband and her two little girls. There was So much negativity on these boards about the Royal and the changes, but believe me, no one was going to rain on our parade. It was the Trip of a lifetime, especially seeing the ports through theif eyes!

Enjoy doing your research on the ports and planning your Excursions, and wishing you a wonderful journey!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

I was so excited to book the Grand Med on the Island, my favorite ship along with the Coral, of course. I found out about the changes after deciding to take my brother and his wife along, booking flights, etc. Guess what? I'm still beyond excited!! I don't have to cook, I don't have to clean, I get to be on the sea again, and I get to experience all those fantastic ports again with my loved ones. If I have to wait a little for a table at dinner, I'll enjoy those minutes with a glass of wine and good conversation! It's going to be a great trip, changes or no changes.

A simplistic attitude to many, I'm sure, but whatever floats our own individual boats, so to speak.

I was so excited to book the Grand Med on the Island, my favorite ship along with the Coral, of course. I found out about the changes after deciding to take my brother and his wife along, booking flights, etc. Guess what? I'm still beyond excited!! I don't have to cook, I don't have to clean, I get to be on the sea again, and I get to experience all those fantastic ports again with my loved ones. If I have to wait a little for a table at dinner, I'll enjoy those minutes with a glass of wine and good conversation! It's going to be a great trip, changes or no changes.

A simplistic attitude to many, I'm sure, but whatever floats our own individual boats, so to speak.

Wow so glad to see all the positive attitudes come out! I guess we were letting so much negativity get to us but now have a whole new outlook on our upcoming cruise. It was a great reality check! Let's keep the positive energy flowing. Thanks everyone! :D

Wow so glad to see all the positive attitudes come out! I guess we were letting so much negativity get to us but now have a whole new outlook on our upcoming cruise. It was a great reality check! Let's keep the positive energy flowing. Thanks everyone! :D

I'm right with you on that !!

Fox, I agree with you and others posting about a positive attitude. I intend to have a wonderful time on our Mediterranean cruise on the Island Princess. Our family is excited about visiting the wonderful ports on this itinerary! Our absolute favorite ship in the Princess fleet is the Coral Princess, sister ship to the Island, but the timing didn't work out for us to be on the Coral for this particular itinerary.

My only area of concern with the new changes would be lines for the dining rooms with the extra passengers, but then we've been on a Princess cruise when "anytime" dining translated to "anytime after 8:15" dining. We'll be on vacation, we are adults, we can adjust.

I've been reading about all the changes, but I will keep an open mind and a positive attitude. I have no intention of cancelling my vacation to spite Princess.

Fox, I agree with you and others posting about a positive attitude. I intend to have a wonderful time on our Mediterranean cruise on the Island Princess. Our family is excited about visiting the wonderful ports on this itinerary! Our absolute favorite ship in the Princess fleet is the Coral Princess, sister ship to the Island, but the timing didn't work out for us to be on the Coral for this particular itinerary.

My only area of concern with the new changes would be lines for the dining rooms with the extra passengers, but then we've been on a Princess cruise when "anytime" dining translated to "anytime after 8:15" dining. We'll be on vacation, we are adults, we can adjust.

I've been reading about all the changes, but I will keep an open mind and a positive attitude. I have no intention of cancelling my vacation to spite Princess.

You might want to consider doing traditional late seating dining (I say late because of the long days in port). This way lines at Anytime won't be a concern.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal