Constellation left port everglades at noon today ?

ClassicalSax

• Just sitting here on Equinox :D and across the harbor just saw Constellation leaving empty at noon. She appears to be headed toward Freeport, Bahamas. Does she have maintenance scheduled?

Just off Connie.She is going into a three day drydock for engine maintance.

I'm ticked as I had the Penthouse booked for this 3 day period to take my brother and niece on a long weekend getaway...then they canceled it while I was on my bermuda sailing 1st week of September :-(

But they gave me $200 OBC to use on a future cruise.

Just off Connie.She is going into a three day drydock for engine maintance.

Hi Orator,

Was that a scheduded drydock ? Thought I noticed a recent hole in her schedule. Hope you had a great time on Connie, and on your next sailing. All the best to you and your DW.

Edited by Host Andy

I'm ticked as I had the Penthouse booked for this 3 day period to take my brother and niece on a long weekend getaway...then they canceled it while I was on my bermuda sailing 1st week of September :-(

But they gave me $200 OBC to use on a future cruise.

Ah, that explains it - thanks !

Saw a press release from Celebrity, can't find it now. But something engine related that didn't effect previous cruises.

http://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/engine-repair-waylays-celebrity-constellations-nov-21-cruise.html

Hi Orator,

Was that a scheduded drydock ? Thought I noticed a recent hole in her schedule. Hope you had a great time on Connie, and on your next sailing. All the best to you and your DW.

Edited by ATLfuzzy
wasn't addressed to me

My guess is the 3 day cruise wasn't selling well after the charter cancelled. Celebrity decided to use the time for maintenance rather than take the loss (or small profit).

I understand there is an engine issue.

The 3 day actually sold quite quickly, I watched it carefully. When it was canceled there were only about 30% of cabins left. All suites were gone within a week. I booked mine the day it went on sale.

I'm sailing Sillie next week, and it's still got 37% of its cabins available. Several of the december caribbean sailings on multiple ships have lots of open cabins still.

Our roll call for late Jan is hoping to hear that the repairs go well...esp since we are all in the process of making final payment.

The ship needed work but was apparently able to function OK.

Sorry for anyone disppointed by cabcellation but happy repairs will be taken care of,

I cannot find a copy of the Celebrity Press Release either... But I did find this article from here in the CC Website:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5975

Mr Sloop & I are sailing The Connie next month so we have been watching this ongoing story with some interest

The Constellation was built in 2002 with 2 Gas Turbine Engines, in 2007 she was outfitted with an additional Diesel Engine, as a cost savings measure

The Diesel Engine currently requires some work, with the replacement of a large component that can only be done in a dry dock

With the cancellation of a Short Charter... And then space coming availabile for a Dry Dock slot, Celebrity went ahead & cancelled their replacement Thanksgiving Cruise (the one that CLE-GUY was booked on)

The Constellation has been functioning well on her original Gas Turbine Engines since the mechanical problem came to light... But she will be in better shape economically when her Diesel Engine is up & running again

Here is hoping that all goes well, and the repairs are fully completed in this short timeframe.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

The 3 day actually sold quite quickly, I watched it carefully. When it was canceled there were only about 30% of cabins left. All suites were gone within a week. I booked mine the day it went on sale.

I'm sailing Sillie next week, and it's still got 37% of its cabins available. Several of the december caribbean sailings on multiple ships have lots of open cabins still.

How do you find out the percentage of unsold cabins for a particular sailing?

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone provide an update on how the engine repairs worked out?

I believe there was at least one sailing after the scheduled work in the Bahamas that may have returned...not sure.

Just curious..but what does the crew do during short dry dock periods? Hope they got a free vacation at a nice Bahamas hotel!

Can anyone provide an update on how the engine repairs worked out?

I believe there was at least one sailing after the scheduled work in the Bahamas that may have returned...not sure.

Just curious..but what does the crew do during short dry dock periods? Hope they got a free vacation at a nice Bahamas hotel!

Crew provided a free vacation at a nice hotel? HA HA HA HA HA HA :D

I bet most had some serious maintenance and cleaning assignments for little or no additional pay.

Crew provided a free vacation at a nice hotel? HA HA HA HA HA HA :D

I bet most had some serious maintenance and cleaning assignments for little or no additional pay.

Yes, I asked some of the crew if they had a break and they laughed too. They cleaned every square inch of the ship - one told me.

I did not ask specifics about the engine, but all seemed fine to me. It could not have been too bad as she made it across the Atlantic just before. The ship did seem very clean to me. I was expecting dust in our room in the hidden locations - such as on top of picture frames, etc., but I did not see any.