How crowded will your ship be?

slibstorff

Is there a way to tell how booked your ship is? And how do you tell how many ships are going to be in a port on any given day?

Ships tend to sail at 100% occupancy so figure the size of the ship is how many guests will be on board. Though, some of the 3 & 4 person cabins may only have 2 guests in them, they will be in the minority.

here is a website for checking ships in port.

http://ports.cruisett.com/

Since ships generally sail fairly close to full, meaning that all the cabins may be booked but not to "capacity". We have found that the time of year will dictate the "crowding".

Over holidays and school vacation time, including summer, the ships have many more families and thus kids and sail closer to "full" capacity....meaning that cabins that can accommodate 3 or 4 pax will probably be booked to capacity (with 3-4 people). At "off" seasons/peaks (between Thanksgiving and X-Mas, mid January to early Feb, the ships are ususally not to "capacity" and thus less crowded. Hope this helps!

I can count over 90 cabins that are open on our ship that sails in 20 days

So on a ship with over 1,000 cabins, that means almost sold out. Carnival sells a couple thousand cabins A DAY fleet wide. They can definitely sell 90 cabins in 20 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

How crowded a ship is depends on the class of ship too. For instance, the Triumph and Victory have only one Lido buffet where the Conquest and later ships in that class have two.

Those two classes have stadium tiers on the Lido Deck. The Dream class eliminated those tiers and made it all one area which to us made it seem more crowded, especially on sea days.

I can't speak for the Fantasy or Spirit classes as we've never sailed on them.

Not trying to flame, but how can anyone know that every single cruise will sail at 100%? And I've heard of people having issues with their room and being moved. If they are at 100% occupancy, where are these extra rooms coming from?

The occupancy number comes from berths (beds), not cabins.

I can count over 90 cabins that are open on our ship that sails in 20 days

Those cabins do not include Guarantee Categories to be assigned and the upswell necessary to accommodate them. Sites that sell to travel industry people will get rid of the extras quickly.

not something I usually think about since it is completely out of our control, but I looked at my upcoming cruise to see if there were any open cabins. with just a few minutes on carnival.com I found over 300 open cabins out of roughly 1020 cabins. please don't attack my math or my free time, I was just curious after reading all of the people who guarantee a sold out ship. cruise is in 35 days.

not something I usually think about since it is completely out of our control, but I looked at my upcoming cruise to see if there were any open cabins. with just a few minutes on carnival.com I found over 300 open cabins out of roughly 1020 cabins. please don't attack my math or my free time, I was just curious after reading all of the people who guarantee a sold out ship. cruise is in 35 days.

Don't need to attack your math or your free time, but the flaw in your approach (as someone else already pointed out in response to another poster who did something similar) is that your numbers don't take into consideration all of the people who are booked simply as guarantees and don't as yet have cabins assigned.

Moreover, your upcoming cruise is still more than a month away; plenty of time for others to book available cabins under pack & go and other special rates. I, myself, just got off Glory yesterday and will probably book another cruise on her for sometime next month, most likely Christmas week. In fact, I was on Glory the week of October 11-18, and booked last week's cruise (Nov. 15-22) after I debarked the first one. So just because you see numerous available cabins for a cruise more than a month away, that doesn't mean those cabins won't be occupied by the time you sail.

Then how can there be empty cabins? Very simply! Ships must adhere to the Coast Guard Regulations of 'Souls On Board." It is total passengers and crew, not number of occupied cabins that dertmines if a ship is "full." So a ship can easily be "full" and have empty cabins. How? When you have 3 or 4 passengers in a cabin that can usually be sold to 2 persons. This happens frequently during holidays and summers.

As for number of ships in a given port on a given day, there are several web sites that tell you specifically which ships are in port with you.

20 days out from your sailing and cabins are available? Well, there is a special fare called an interline fare. This is for the travel industry. Additionally, cruise line employees can get a free cabin (part of their compensation package). So add together travel agent, airline personnel, cruiseline personnel, and the ship fills quickly the last few weeks.

Don't need to attack your math or your free time, but the flaw in your approach (as someone else already pointed out in response to another poster who did something similar) is that your numbers don't take into consideration all of the people who are booked simply as guarantees and don't as yet have cabins assigned.

Moreover, your upcoming cruise is still more than a month away; plenty of time for others to book available cabins under pack & go and other special rates. I, myself, just got off Glory yesterday and will probably book another cruise on her for sometime next month, most likely Christmas week. In fact, I was on Glory the week of October 11-18, and booked last week's cruise (Nov. 15-22) after I debarked the first one. So just because you see numerous available cabins for a cruise more than a month away, that doesn't mean those cabins won't be occupied by the time you sail.

I understand all of the rates, and I understand that all those cabins may be sold by the time we sail, just throwing out there that they may not all be sold by then.

I've always heard that ships always sail full but I wonder if it's really true? We just got off a B2B on the Splendor and the first week wasn't nearly as crowded as the second week. Maybe the folks on the first cruise all stayed in their room but I know there were a lot more folks moving around on the second cruise than on the first. And I mean a LOT more.