The Fantasy Class: Your Favorite & Do You Like This Class of Ships?

thecruiserofships

What is your favorite Fantasy class ship?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Fantasy class ship?

• Carnival Fantasy
    • Carnival Ecstasy
    • Carnival Sensation
    • Carnival Fascination
    • Carnival Imagination
    • Carnival Inspiration
    • Carnival Elation
    • Carnival Paradise
    • I Don't Like Fantasy Class Ships :(

The Fantasy Class cruise ships are Carnival's oldest class of ships, largest class by number of ships, and smallest (not really small) in size. I love cruising Fantasy class ships and I know many others do, but it is inevitable that some day these fine ships will be transferred or sold out of the fleet. With Royal Caribbean announcing they are getting rid of their old ship the Majesty of the Seas it got me wondering if in 2016 when the Vista is launched if Carnival will say goodbye to one of their Fantasy class ships.

Here Is A Tribute to The Fantasy Class I Made:

http://www.embarkandaway.com/general-cruise-blog/carnivals-fantasy-class-8-small-ships-still-proudly-sailing

What is your favorite Fantasy Class ship? (See The Poll)

Mine is the Carnival Ecstasy because it was the first cruise ship I ever went on in 2007. In 2007, it was known as the M/S Ecstasy because the prefix Carnival had not been added to it yet!

Edited by thecruiserofships

My favorite is a three-way tie between Paradise, Elation and Inspiration but I could only vote for one.

Except for the dreaded aft MDR the Fantasy class deck plan is easy to figure out.

The majority of our cruises have been on the Fantasy class ships. Always feels like I'm coming home.

It is inevitable that they will be rotated out if the fleet just like the holiday and other ships of the same class.

Personally, I think that day is approaching, and as noted in the current thread about the celebration, I believe carnival has currently drawn a line in the sand. Subsequent to the evolutions of fun upgrades, which were not applied equally across the fleet of fantasy class ships, they have pulled back and not implemented funship 2.0 even during convenient drydock periods. I do not believe they will.

The fantasy class cannot continue to compete versus competition indefinitely and I think that the time has come where alternate options are being considered. This is only further mitigated by the fact that the competition is rotating out their older tonnage - this makes the fantasy class even less attractive to the marketplace.

It is similar to what the airlines do - some advertise 'the youngest fleet in the sky etc' - given the option, how many would really choose the antiquated and retired 727, just because it was more 'quaint' or because you had a better chance of seeing the passengers during the 'voyage'? Not me!

I think ccl has pushed them about as far as they can, and the incredibly low prices most sail for is testament to that fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is inevitable that they will be rotated out if the fleet just like the holiday and other ships of the same class.

Personally, I think that day is approaching, and as noted in the current thread about the celebration, I believe carnival has currently drawn a line in the sand. Subsequent to the evolutions of fun upgrades, which were not applied equally across the fleet of fantasy class ships, they have pulled back and not implemented funship 2.0 even during convenient drydock periods. I do not believe they will.

The fantasy class cannot continue to compete versus competition indefinitely and I think that the time has come where alternate options are being considered. This is only further mitigated by the fact that the competition is rotating out their older tonnage - this makes the fantasy class even less attractive to the marketplace.

It is similar to what the airlines do - some advertise 'the youngest fleet in the sky etc' - given the option, how many would really choose the antiquated and retired 727, just because it was more 'quaint' or because you had a better chance of seeing the passengers during the 'voyage'? Not me!

I think ccl has pushed them about as far as they can, and the incredibly low prices most sail for is testament to that fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with everything you are saying. Cruise lines (in some ways) do operate like airlines. It is inevitable that the class will be sold off, but hopefully most of the class will still be around for another long time.

It would be great if Carnival could keep them in Carnival Corporation and start a brand new cruise line with them.

The Fantasy Class cruise ships are Carnival's oldest class of ships, largest class by number of ships, and smallest (not really small) in size. I love cruising Fantasy class ships and I know many others do, but it is inevitable that some day these fine ships will be transferred or sold out of the fleet. With Royal Caribbean announcing they are getting rid of their old ship the Majesty of the Seas it got me wondering if in 2016 when the Vista is launched if Carnival will say goodbye to one of their Fantasy class ships.

Here Is A Tribute to The Fantasy Class I Made:

http://www.embarkandaway.com/general-cruise-blog/carnivals-fantasy-class-8-small-ships-still-proudly-sailing

What is your favorite Fantasy Class ship? (See The Poll)

Mine is the Carnival Ecstasy because it was the first cruise ship I ever went on in 2007. In 2007, it was known as the M/S Ecstasy because the prefix Carnival had not been added to it yet!

Fascination is my favorite and Imagination is my least favorite.

It is true that this class of ships cannot compete with the newer ships in terms of amenities; however, for a quick getaway at a great price, you cannot beat these ships.

If Carnival had upgraded them with some of the 2.0 upgrades I think they would be more popular, but since they are outdated in terms of energy efficiency and emissions, it just doesn't make sense to sink money into them making their days numbered.

I think a lot of us will always have fond memories of the Fantasy class of ships. I have 12 Fantasy class cruises under my belt and have enjoyed them all in different ways.

I love the Fantasy class, as my very first cruise was on the Carnival Paradise at the tender age of twelve. While the Fantasy class is currently relevant as time goes on that won't be the case as relevance will decrease. This is the case with all cruise ships.

Carnival has to time the departure of the Fantasy class just right because the fact of the matter is that despite their age they are "cash cows" for the brand and millions cruise on the every year and that makes them relevant.

I think the Carnival Fantasy will stay in the fleet no later than 2018 and at that point it will be 28 years old. The Carnival Paradise the last member of the Fantasy class built in 1999 will most likely be in the fleet until 2027.

Even when these ships leave the Carnival fleet they'll still be around either in the Carnival Corporate fleet or elsewhere simply because they are solidly built ships; the Finns sure do know how to build ships.

AR-140819854.jpg&maxw=800&q=90

I love the fantasy. She is the least like her sisters in my opinion. After a remodel a few years ago. She lost a lot of her joe farcus design. Her promenade deck is very toned downed compared to other carnival ships (except maybe breeze and sunshine). The elation will always hold a place in my cruising heart. She was my first cruise.

I love the Fantasy class, as my very first cruise was on the Carnival Paradise at the tender age of twelve. While the Fantasy class is currently relevant as time goes on that won't be the case as relevance will decrease. This is the case with all cruise ships.

Carnival has to time the departure of the Fantasy class just right because the fact of the matter is that despite their age they are "cash cows" for the brand and millions cruise on the every year and that makes them relevant.

I think the Carnival Fantasy will stay in the fleet no later than 2018 and at that point it will be 28 years old. The Carnival Paradise the last member of the Fantasy class built in 1999 will most likely be in the fleet until 2027.

Even when these ships leave the Carnival fleet they'll still be around either in the Carnival Corporate fleet or elsewhere simply because they are solidly built ships; the Finns sure do know how to build ships.

I agree the ships built in Finland are pretty good. I wonder if the Fantasy would go first? The Ecstasy and Sensation are not too far behind it age wise.

I just got off Sensation and loved it. Better than Ecstasy. They'll have to keep some of them that can go under the Sunshine bridge out of Tampa.

spirit class can also go under the sunshine skyway out of tampa...

but they don't 'have' to keep some of them to do so... nothing says that they 'have' to sail out of tampa at all, especially with so many other ports in florida...

Honestly the Fantasy class ships are the ugliest ships ive seen from a major cruise line. I hate how the life boats are way up top..total eye sore. But I did cruise on the Fascination few yrs ago and will be on the Fantasy in May, only because it is the closest ship to me and I need my cruise fix. Evidently the fascination didn't scare me enough not to book this class of ship again but I really hope Carnival ships these ships out of the fleet. For every new ship they get they should get rid of 3 fantasy class ships imo lol

-David

Because my first cruise ever was on Fantasy, I will always love her. She's the one that hooked me---from my first step onto one of these "monstrous" ships! When my first sail and sign card dinged in her doorway, I could barely walk from staring at the over the top décor. All I could say was Wow, Wow, Wow!

She's the one who gently swayed me to sleep each night. I've not had that exact same feeling on my other cruises. Maybe it was simply my cabin location, but I like to think it was "her" making sure I was relaxed and enjoying myself.

Think I need to look up her schedule for next year! :)

How much will CCL Corp newest vessel VISTA cost?

Take that number and determine from those vessels that CCL has clear ownership of, determine what the weekly net is ( gross from the 5 revenue streams of paid for vessels minus operational and foodstuff costs). You can then determine which vessels are close to the Safety Of Life At Sea (SOLAS) expiration requiring updates, Investment of Capital, those Vessels will be on the Sale listing regardless of what Customers think. Capitalism Reigns supreme whether you are in Mother England or China! I know John Heald and the So called BEARDS will not acknowledge this,

By the way I'm jus a dum grit! But CCL stock is over 35# per share now!

PS the older ships require major refits! It is less expensive to build!:)

The problem is they don't upgrade to 2.0 until they are moved to the east coast. Or they are moved west before they can get the upgrades. Seems that they should upgrade the west coast dry dock facilities to handle the 2.0 adaptions. I think Miracle is getting them next year without leaving CA.

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpgI still cruise for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (with 2 sugar-free vanilla ice-creams)

The problem is they don't upgrade to 2.0 until they are moved to the east coast. Or they are moved west before they can get the upgrades. Seems that they should upgrade the west coast dry dock facilities to handle the 2.0 adaptions. I think Miracle is getting them next year without leaving CA.

realistically, the majority of the '2.0 adaptations' are really branding and minor renovations. guys burgers? the grill already had equipment to cook burgers. alchemy bar? there already was a bar there. blue iguana tequila bar and red frog rum bar? that's where the lido pool bars were, with some added 'props'. you get the point, none of these are really major renovations, at all.

the west coast dry dock facilities would be more than capable of handling such things, especially given that the majority of the work occurs on the ships themselves, not having anything to do with the drydock facilities themselves. further, they repaired the splendor on the west coast (out of necessity) after its fire, which was certainly a more major repair than the 2.0 renovations. fact of the matter is they prefer to do the work in freeport because it is less expensive, and they own a 40% stake in the grand bahamas shipyard.

It will be a sad day for us when the Fantasy clas ships start to go away. We enjoy the smaller ships (really miss the Holiday class too!) as they serve our needs just fine.

Here's to hoping that they keep Ecstacy, Fascination, Inspiration and some of the others around for a long time! :cool:

I voted for "Paradise" because I LOVE the shows aboard, and the BIG live band. Also, cruising out of Tampa is GREAT.

I also really like "Ecstasy", but last time I looked, they only offered four day cruises. Not long enough to merit driving all the way to Miami and back. "Ecstasy" is, however, an excellent ship, with outstanding crew. ;)

"SKY"