Tendering

NH Cruisers

This question is not really specific to any cruiseline.

I see on this NCL and the other cruiselines boards how folks will talk of the differnt ports and picking certain cruises based on if they have to ride a tender into certain ports.

I must be in a minority here. While I don't always care for a long wait to get on a tender, I do enjoy the ride from and back to the ship on them. I get really good photos too.

Is is the inconvenience of not being able to just stroll off the ship or handicap issues that most folks don't care for?

I never had an issue myself.

Tendering into Belize is like a short excursion, it was fun to me.

Tendering at the Grand Caymans, what great ship photos you can get. 6 or more grand ships all on a row side by side.

Some cruiseline use their own lifeboats as tenders and other contract out.

I bring this up in part because I would like to see a cruiseship or two make a stop in Portsmouth, NH. A cruiseship, even midsize, is way to big to get to the piers. Also it is very tide dependent when they could dock. But they could tender in. It would be a 20-25 minute transit from the anchorage. Most folks feel that would be too much? I feel both a cruiseline and the city would make out with a couple yearly stops. It would be fun to stop for the day and visit my town as a cruise tourist too.

I didn't mind tendering in Belize. Like you, I thought the pictures I was able to capture were great and it was a really short ride.

The waiting or priority system used to board is a bit annoying, but I understand its necessity.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I, also, don't mind tenders. As you said it's a great photo opportunity and since I love to people watch I get to enjoy that as well.

Truth be told.....sometimes the looooonnnng walks from where you dock and have to walk i'd prefer to tender and be dropped right off! LOL

Harriet

Long waits? I've only tendered twice, once at GSC and the other in Belize. It was really no big deal. We Maybe waited 15 minutes, in Belize they seemed to be using 6 tenders with one loading and another right behind.

I see on this NCL and the other cruiselines boards how folks will talk of the differnt ports and picking certain cruises based on if they have to ride a tender into certain ports.

I must be in a minority here. While I don't always care for a long wait to get on a tender, I do enjoy the ride from and back to the ship on them. I get really good photos too.

Is is the inconvenience of not being able to just stroll off the ship or handicap issues that most folks don't care for?

I don't mind a tender, but I do care to know which ports are tendering and which aren't. My reasons are:

• At a tender port, weather is an issue. If it is too choppy they won't be able to tender and then you don't get to go to that port!
  • Tendering takes more time and I will need to plan accordingly.

While weather is of course an issue getting to ANY port, the conditions need to be a lot worse to prevent a ship from docking (at least in the Caribbean) than to prevent a ship from tendering. So to me, tender means "don't count on seeing that port".

When actually tendering, I'm with you. I like the ride and take a lot of pictures. If I'm not in a hurry it's very fun and I try HARD to make sure I'm not in a hurry.

I don't generally dislike tendering. However, I have been in situations where there is difficulty getting people safely on to the tender boat due to moving water. My senior citizen mother has challenges with sure-footing and it can be daunting to get on the tender boat at times. I've also been on jam packed tenders that sit idle waiting for something that bounce up and down. And 3rd party tender boats can sometimes have strong diesel fuel smells that fill the boat and when coupled with bouncing around in the waves, has made some people very queasy looking. But.... a undesirable tender boat ride is worth it EVERY TIME.

We were unable to tender into Yalta due to bad weather. Hated missing the port. Other tendering can be problematic, especially when the ship is anchored some distance from the port making tendering take more time.

Sometimes tending can involve hours of delay. We experienced this in Bali, Indonesia and Cairns, Australia.

If I never tendered again, I would be very happy.

I totally get it when folks have disabilities. The tenders can make it impossible to go ashore. Happily I have never had to miss a tendered port due to weather.

So many folks were complaining a year or so ago about the DAWN needing folks tendered in Bermuda. A lot said they would cancel the cruise or look into a differnt one. I don't think tendering there would bother me. As someone else said, that pier walk is long. Not as long as in Coast Maya though.

RCCL has that train looking tram go right up to their ship in Bermuda.

I totally get it when folks have disabilities. The tenders can make it impossible to go ashore. Happily I have never had to miss a tendered port due to weather.

So many folks were complaining a year or so ago about the DAWN needing folks tendered in Bermuda. A lot said they would cancel the cruise or look into a differnt one. I don't think tendering there would bother me. As someone else said, that pier walk is long. Not as long as in Coast Maya though.

RCCL has that train looking tram go right up to their ship in Bermuda.

When I was on the Breakaway in Bermuda in June of 2013 there was a tram that was shared between the Breakaway and X.

I *think* Costa Maya has guys on bikes to drive you there.....unless I'm mistaking that with another port.

Harriet

I really do not like tendering.

Waiting in line - not long, but a drag. Happens at both ends.

Then waiting for it to fill up.

Then going up and down, up and down - sometimes fumes. That does not work so well for someone than can get motion sickness.

Will not stop me from cruising, but it is just a pain.

Being in a wheelchair, tenders will not work for me, I understand it is the captains discretion if wheelchairs will be able to get on a tender. I am a big guy and I would not let anyone try and pick me up. Also if the weather gets worse you might not be able to get back to the ship. My next cruise has a stop in Tortola and from what I hear that might be a tender port which would mean another sea day, which would suck

Being in a wheelchair, tenders will not work for me, ....from what I hear that might be a tender port which would mean another sea day, which would suck

Sorry for your situation. My FIL was wheel chair bound and it was always a challenge when traveling.

As to staying onboard - lots of people love to stay onboard while everyone else is out and about. We have done that ourselves.

I have missed ports because of bad weather that made tendering impossible. One time in Waterford, Ireland, we made it ashore in choppy water with lots of big waves in the lifeboat. I loved the ride!

We took our NCL shore ex. However, when we returned there was a three hour wait, because the tendering had to stop due to the water being even choppier. Fortunately, it got a little better.

Other times, the returning lines have been very long. Because of these reasons, I like it better when we can dock.

Personally, I don't mind tendering. Our last cruise we went to Port Canaveral (no tender), Nassau Bahamas (no tender), and Great Stirrup Cay (tender). We only got off the ship at Great Stirrup Cay. The tendering was a breeze and the sea was pretty calm. The last cruise we were on were the same ports but Great Stirrup Cay tendering was quite rocky. Getting onto the tender from the ship was a bit nerve-wracking. Getting back on a little less so. It all depends on the waves, and that can change at any time. But I love Great Stirrup Cay so I choose my cruises specifically for the island.

While weather is of course an issue getting to ANY port, the conditions need to be a lot worse to prevent a ship from docking (at least in the Caribbean) than to prevent a ship from tendering. So to me, tender means "don't count on seeing that port".

The weather is my greatest concern regarding tendering. This is our first cruise so I can't say I have a reason to dislike it. It sounds like patience is the name of the game. I am just concerned about rough seas. I would rather they cancel Belize all together than to have us be out (ship sponsored) shore excursion costs because we can't take the tender (DH will NOT feel well, even with meds...).