Jewel out of Houston - Texas Liquor Laws?

albertamom

Sailed the Jewel a couple of weeks ago. Here's what I know/experienced:

Our bottle of sparkling wine and two bottles of wine, sent as gifts from friends, were not delivered by the butler to the suite until the second day.

Mini bar fridge in suite was sealed until reaching international waters (a few hours after sail away).

Only certain liquors and beer/wine were available from the bars until reaching international waters. They only serve what they've paid Texas taxes on until reaching international waters . .afterwards, the whole bar is open.

Based on reading some other CC threads on this subject I understand that Texas, due to its border with Mexico, has charged taxes on liquor and cigarettes being brought into the US several years (via people traveling through automobiles). I read that in the past couple of years they have started collecting the taxes at cruise terminals as well. However, when we disembarked and passed through customs last month, an elderly lady was barely visible and "loosely" directing people towards the Texas duty table around the corner . . so enforcement seemed to be very lax - didn't see anyone declaring anything ;-)

As an aside, our cruise previous to this was a couple of years ago. In all of my past cruises I had found that the gift shops had really good prices on Absolut vodka towards the end of the cruise (2 for ~$20). This cruise the special was 2 for $36, barely a bargain if at all. . .and if I had bought any *and* paid the Texas taxes it would definitely not be a bargain vs. what I can get the same for in Dallas.

Our bottle of sparkling wine and two bottles of wine, sent as gifts from friends, were not delivered by the butler to the suite until the second day.

Mini bar fridge in suite was sealed until reaching international waters (a few hours after sail away).

Only certain liquors and beer/wine were available from the bars until reaching international waters. They only serve what they've paid Texas taxes on until reaching international waters . .afterwards, the whole bar is open.

Based on reading some other CC threads on this subject I understand that Texas, due to its border with Mexico, has charged taxes on liquor and cigarettes being brought into the US several years (via people traveling through automobiles). I read that in the past couple of years they have started collecting the taxes at cruise terminals as well. However, when we disembarked and passed through customs last month, an elderly lady was barely visible and "loosely" directing people towards the Texas duty table around the corner . . so enforcement seemed to be very lax - didn't see anyone declaring anything ;-)

As an aside, our cruise previous to this was a couple of years ago. In all of my past cruises I had found that the gift shops had really good prices on Absolut vodka towards the end of the cruise (2 for ~$20). This cruise the special was 2 for $36, barely a bargain if at all. . .and if I had bought any *and* paid the Texas taxes it would definitely not be a bargain vs. what I can get the same for in Dallas.

All good information. Thank you!

I'm still hoping that, eventually, NCL will begin purchasing all of their Jewel alcohol in Texas, and this will become a non-issue. :)

These rules have not "always" been there. They did not exist when we sailed the Norwegian Sea in 2000. And NCL has not been in Texas for a long time.

They have always been there, just not enforced. Again, if you don't like it, go on a cruise out of Colorado!!

All good information. Thank you!

I'm still hoping that, eventually, NCL will begin purchasing all of their Jewel alcohol in Texas, and this will become a non-issue. :)

LOL - I probably doubt you do, because the taxes and duties NCL pays would cause the prices at the bar to increase :-)

LOL - I probably doubt you do, because the taxes and duties NCL pays would cause the prices at the bar to increase :-)

I actually do. It really won't make enough of a difference to matter to us, and we'll have our sparkling wine and bar set-up in our cabin upon arrival. :)

sealed minibar

I don't use the minibar but do empty it to a shelf as soon as we get into our cabin so I can put our soda in frig.

Do you think I can still do that or will "unsealing" the minibar cause a problem?

I don't use the minibar but do empty it to a shelf as soon as we get into our cabin so I can put our soda in frig.

Do you think I can still do that or will "unsealing" the minibar cause a problem?

They won't empty until the first morning as they can't break the seal.

My feelings exactly.

We've never considered carrying on wine before, but are definitely thinking about trying to purchase some of the sparkling variety when we land at IAH the night before. We shouldn't have any problem with that, should we (since it will be purchased in Texas)? :confused:

Hopefully by the time we cruise in February, this will no longer be an issue. I hope that cruisers will continue providing updates. :)

I am not sure if the rule applies to wine that you bring onboard. We typically pay the $15 corkage fee.

I am not sure if the rule applies to wine that you bring onboard. We typically pay the $15 corkage fee.

I'm not sure about this either. Hopefully someone will report back with their experience.

The only reason that I would carry on wine is to have some bubbly to toast sail-away. I would happily pay the corkage fee to do so, just like I would happily pay the additional Texas tax, if NCL would just start paying it (and upping their drink prices to cover it). If they are going to sail out of Texas, then follow the rules Texas has in place, and keep things running smoothly onboard. :)

We had no issue with taking wine aboard Princess last year so I can't imagine that it will be a problem on Norwegian.

Thanks Clay for the info.

Have you found a cheap from Houston? my DP and I are always looking for new friends. Here are some current prices for our cruise on January 17, 2015.

Inside - $269

Oceanview - $299

Balcony - $499

Mini-Suite - $749

Suite - $1,499

The Haven - $2,949

Johan

We will be taking our own wine on board ( Dec 20th sailing) its sitting in my garage waiting to be packing into the car, 2 bottles of white, 2 bottles of red and 2 bottles of procsseco ... its cheaper to pay the corkage on your own than it is to buy a bottle on board.......

They have always been there, just not enforced. Again, if you don't like it, go on a cruise out of Colorado!!

I cruise out of Colorado all the time.....only problem is getting on a plane before I get to the ship..... :)

Thanks Clay for the info.

Have you found a cheap from Houston? my DP and I are always looking for new friends. Here are some current prices for our cruise on January 17, 2015.

Inside - $269

Oceanview - $299

Balcony - $499

Mini-Suite - $749

Suite - $1,499

The Haven - $2,949

Johan

Wish we could join you but our Panama Canal cruise in April is taking three weeks of vacation so we can't take advantage of some of the great prices. I'm watching the New Years trip but it's price is still more than what I'm willing to pay:mad:

When we got off the Jewel in Oct, the only passengers being directed to the liquor tax table were those that were coming off the ship with the cardboard "travel boxes" of liquor. So my advice? If it's out of sight, you should be good to go.

We were also in a suite that came with three bottles of complimentary spirits and those were not delivered until the next morning (along with the included champagne). We aren't big drinkers so I didn't even notice that the bars had limited service upon embarkation. I do know that our mini-fridge was not sealed in any way (and, yes, it had beer and mini-wines in it) because I checked it to see if the requested lemons, etc., were in there. Maybe they are configured a different way in suites.

Edited by tarps14

We were on the Jewel in the Garden Villa for the 11/22/14 sailing out of Houston. The GV comes with 6 bottles of alcohol (choosen by the suit occupants from a short list) and a bottle of champagne. We had two passengers who were platinum and since we are also NCL shareholders and had received OBC for booking more than 9 months in advance we could not get the shareholder OBC. However, you can email a department at NCL and attach proof of stock ownership and get a dinner at "Cagneys" and a bottle of wine. We had heard that this wine may actually already in the suite, others saying no to this.We selected our alcohol at the port before boarding the ship. However, the alcohol and the champagne were not delivered until mid to late afternoon on day two of the cruise. The shareholder wine was able to be ordered off of an enhanced (a little bit pricier than house wine) at dinner later that week. Also, drinks could be ordered from any bars on embarkation day, but the selection of drinks was limited. For example, one could order a basic mojito, but could not order a specialty one. At embarkation lunch in Moderno, we were not able to order a non alcoholic beer. Later in the evening, if my memory is not failing me, full drink menus were available.

If you want to toast sail-away, I would strongly suggest you bring what you enjoy drinking onto the ship, step over to the right to the table to give your name, cabin number, and have each bottle stickered. Your room card will be charged later in the week $15 for each 750 ml bottle you bring aboard.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Forums mobile app

I forgot to add that if you have ore-ordered alcohol from NCL, it will not be delivered until day two. And it might just be mid to late afternoon. So, budget accordingly for your spending at the bars while waiting for the bottle in your room.

Hopefully NCL will be making adjustments to the current procedures, which stink, in my opinion. It was frustrating to us to be paying for drinks when we had free stuff we were waiting for. Fortunately, we brought 5 bottles of wine onboard, so I was a happy girl!

I forgot to add that if you have ore-ordered alcohol from NCL, it will not be delivered until day two. And it might just be mid to late afternoon. So, budget accordingly for your spending at the bars while waiting for the bottle in your room.

Hopefully NCL will be making adjustments to the current procedures, which stink, in my opinion. It was frustrating to us to be paying for drinks when we had free stuff we were waiting for. Fortunately, we brought 5 bottles of wine onboard, so I was a happy girl!

Thank you so much for your thorough review. I think that it stinks, too.

It seems like such common sense that if NCL wants to cruise out of Houston, then just pay the Texas taxes and run things as usual onboard.

I also think that NCL needs to be upfront about this, and publish the information on their website. At least, because of Cruise Critic, we know ahead of time, and can plan ahead to carry on our sailaway bubbly. :)

So now I get it. If the liquor has been taxed by the Texas Alcohol & Beverage Commission then they can serve it. My hubby noticed the stickers on the bottles. When you depart & pay your liquor taxes, you get stickers for your bottles to apply when you get home. 😉ImageUploadedByForums1418003572.947841.jpg.e4d99232f56cf2d55c5d8a85185fbd3c.jpg

I think I'll take the same liquor I purchased on my next cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Has anyone expereienced bringing beer on board, same charge?

DH loves his Corona and all Ive seen on these posts is Bud and Bud Light.

Anyone know if Corona is on the list?

Corona is typically on the NCL ships. There are a few pictures out here of the beers NCL carries but it has been awhile.