RCCL - All Inclusive St. John Trunk Bay Beach & Snorkel

Has anyone ever done the excursion "All Inclsuvie St. John Trunk Bay Beach & Snorkel" through RCCL? Would you recommend it? Would you recommend doing an excursion of our own through another company to St. John from St. Thomas (Docking in St. Thomas at 0800 - 530PM)

Thanks!

I haven't done this particular tour recently, but I have done the round trip to St. John's excursion and taken a cab to the National Park snorkel beach at Trunk Bay. While on the beach I've seen the RCL snorkel excursion arrive, snorkel, and leave.

The way the RCL excursion works is that you get on a small ferry boat at the pier and go to the dock by the National Park Headquarters in Cruz Bay. This boat may be shared with folks on other excursions. In Cruz Bay you get on an open air safari and take the short drive to Trunk Bay where there is a snorkel park. The snorkeling is done from the shore, not a boat.

You can do this yourself with the basic St John's excursion and possibly get more time on the beach, but it is pricier when you include the cost of the safari (last year it was $12 r/t), the park entrance fee (was $4), and the equipment rental (??)

If you are really into snorkeling, you might want to look at an independent tour that would offer snorkeling from a boat instead of from the shore.

We go to St. John almost every time we are in St. Thomas. We always do it on our own. It is very easy. Grab a taxi outside the terminal and ask to be taken to the Red Hook Ferry. The ferry leaves every hour on the hour. If you can get to Red Hook for the 9:00 ferry, you'll beat all of the crowds to St. John. Once on St. John take a taxi to Trunk Bay. There will be plenty of taxis at Trunk Bay to get you back to the ferry terminal for your return trip.

Has anyone ever done the excursion "All Inclsuvie St. John Trunk Bay Beach & Snorkel" through RCCL? Would you recommend it? Would you recommend doing an excursion of our own through another company to St. John from St. Thomas (Docking in St. Thomas at 0800 - 530PM)

Thanks!

Check out my review of this excursion.

We go to St. John almost every time we are in St. Thomas. We always do it on our own. It is very easy. Grab a taxi outside the terminal and ask to be taken to the Red Hook Ferry. The ferry leaves every hour on the hour. If you can get to Red Hook for the 9:00 ferry, you'll beat all of the crowds to St. John. Once on St. John take a taxi to Trunk Bay. There will be plenty of taxis at Trunk Bay to get you back to the ferry terminal for your return trip.

Are there any certain types of taxis we should avoid? I have read where some taxi drivers kick people out because they are tired etc? Also, is Trunk Bay the best beach? Do they have locker rentals, snorkel rentals etc?

Are there any certain types of taxis we should avoid? I have read where some taxi drivers kick people out because they are tired etc? Also, is Trunk Bay the best beach? Do they have locker rentals, snorkel rentals etc?

What ship are you on? If you're docking in Crown Bay, the ship's excursion picks up right at the pier. I'm not sure if it's the same from Havensight. It's worth the price of the excursion to avoid taking a taxi to the ferry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Awesome! Thank you so much. How long did you guys have to swim / snorkel?

Did this exact excursion last week booked through RC and left on ferry from Havensight.

45min each way apr

Few pics to wet your appetite

There is a nice dive trail with UW signage to follow

Beautiful sandy beach and well worth the money

imagejpg4_zpsc57b0726.jpg

imagejpg3_zps3eb7aa86.jpg

imagejpg9_zpsf13ef571.jpg

imagejpg10_zps392733d3.jpg

imagejpg7_zps232f1ead.jpg

imagejpg1_zps5642d943.jpg

We will be on Jewel of the Seas. Why do you say it is worth the price of the excursion not to take a taxi?

What ship are you on? If you're docking in Crown Bay, the ship's excursion picks up right at the pier. I'm not sure if it's the same from Havensight. It's worth the price of the excursion to avoid taking a taxi to the ferry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We will be on Jewel of the Seas. Why do you say it is worth the price of the excursion not to take a taxi?

Just my opinion but paying for a taxi to Red Hook and then paying to take a public ferry to St. John is not worth the savings over the cruise ship excursion that only requires stepping on a private ferry at the same pier where the ship docks. Some times those taxis get stuck in traffic.

There is only a few dollars difference. Taxi to Red Hook is about $10/pp each way plus tip. Ferry is $14 rt/pp. The excursion ferry is looking to have all it's passengers accounted for when it leaves. They tell you what time you have to leave Trunk Bay to get back to the dock and there are safari cabs waiting for you.

The real problem is the traffic congestion trying to get everyone back to Havensight in time to sail. You avoid all this if you travel by boat. Also, it is an RCL excursion and they are supposed to wait for you, particularly if you're on a ferry with a big bunch of other cruisers.

There is only a few dollars difference. Taxi to Red Hook is about $10/pp each way plus tip. Ferry is $14 rt/pp. The excursion ferry is looking to have all it's passengers accounted for when it leaves. They tell you what time you have to leave Trunk Bay to get back to the dock and there are safari cabs waiting for you.

The real problem is the traffic congestion trying to get everyone back to Havensight in time to sail. You avoid all this if you travel by boat. Also, it is an RCL excursion and they are supposed to wait for you, particularly if you're on a ferry with a big bunch of other cruisers.

We did this on our own the last time we were in St. Thomas and the traffic getting from Red Hook back to the ship was HORRIBLE in the afternoon and we were so stressed that we'd miss the ship. For that reason alone, next time we'll spend the few extra dollars and do the ship's excursion. Either way, Trunk Bay is well-worth the effort it takes to get there!

Did this exact excursion last week booked through RC and left on ferry from Havensight.

45min each way apr

Few pics to wet your appetite

There is a nice dive trail with UW signage to follow

Beautiful sandy beach and well worth the money

imagejpg4_zpsc57b0726.jpg

imagejpg3_zps3eb7aa86.jpg

imagejpg9_zpsf13ef571.jpg

imagejpg10_zps392733d3.jpg

imagejpg7_zps232f1ead.jpg

imagejpg1_zps5642d943.jpg

Could you tell me if there are any restrooms on the ferry or at Trunk Bay? Are chair rentals available if you don't want to snorkel and just chill on the beach?

Don't know if there are restrooms on the ferry (I'm sure there are some sort of "head" facilities somewhere). However Trunk Bay is full service. It's run by the US National Park Service, so there are changing rooms, bathrooms, and showers plus chair rentals, snorkel gear rentals, and food service. I paid $15 for a chair plus a refundable deposit. Food was pricey, but available. Entrance fee was $4. There is shade on the edge of the beach.

At Havensight there is a little kiosk store on the corner on the dock side just down the road beyond the US post office. They sell reasonable drinks and snacks, so you can stock up before you go. I'm hoping to do this trip again in Jan.

In my mind there are two advantages to doing this excursion on your own. The biggest difference is timing. If you book through RCI, you're required to do it at their pace. If you do it on your own, you do it at your pace. As I mentioned earlier, if you can get to Red Hook in time to catch the 9:00 ferry, you'll be ahead of all of the people that are on excursions. You'll be one of the first people to the beach so you'll be able to choose your spot. When you travel with a large group, you all arrive at the same time. You wait in line for beach chairs, snorkel gear etc. and then you have to find a spot on the beach. The next advantage is that by taking a taxi to Red Hook and back is that you get to see some of the island. You'll see homes and schools and shopping places. You'll get to see how the residents of the island live. To me, that's part of the experience of visiting different places. As for the traffic situation, I have done this trip many times and have NEVER been caught in a traffic jam. There probably are people out there that have been, but I have not.