Celebrity denied me an upgrade

kborth

Hi I have booked an inside guarentee very early for a TA cruise. Is aw today that an Oceanview was the same price as my guarentee so I called my agent . She called Celebrity and they said that the ocean view was higher price than what was on the web site and said I couldn't have it. Also I mentioned that we are select with them,didn't seem to cut any ice. I booked this in June and was hoping I would get a better deal. I guess they don't care about early bookings or select members. I was just hoping for an upgrade.

For our upcoming cruise I upgraded three times. Each time the rules were different. For the last upgrade I just took it but I was charged a rate $100 more than published on sites. I did not want to risk losing out nor did I want to do the heavy monitoring required to upgrade a rare find.

It is your time or your money.

This may be controversial and I may be in a mood...but if you want an upgrade, pay for it and be happy. If you have essentially just started cruising at the select level or any other level for that matter, cruise lines don't owe us anything.

I agree the cruise lines does not owe cruisers anything except what they pay for:eek: I dont understand how people figure that a cruise line should give you an upgrade or anything else for that matter then what you have paid for. Its a bussiness not a charity,Booking one stateroom and then expecting another does not make sence to me.And it really bothers me when people throw out the I am elite or what ever so the cruise line owes me the world. Sure they owe you what they say they would give you. But it seems alot of people take this I have cruised with joe smoes cruise line Fifty thousands times so they owe me everything I want.Everyone pays their money for the kind of cruise they want if you want more pay more.And just because you have been on every cruise there is and have a hundred more booked does not in my opion make you any diffrent then anyone else on the ship. There guess I am in a mood to:rolleyes:

I don't understand the negative reactions here. If the OP booked a cruise, and the price went down BEFORE final payment then why shouldn't he or she get the better price? Since deposits are refundable before final payment, someone can cancel and re-book for a better fare. Celebrity knows this and in my experience has always honored a price drop before final payment. I feel like this one is a no brainer...

Upgrades are 'within' a category, but, excludes category 12, FV, SV, C1 and guarantee categories, The OP booked the cheapest inside GTY thru a TA. It don't work that way.

And booking thru an agent puts the OP at their mercy, since it is their group rate they received. The agent can give an upgrade to whatever is in their block of cabins, they control the booking, not the OP nor Celebrity.

From the web site:

One-Category Upgrade

One-category upgrade requests must be made at the time of booking and apply only for upgrades within the supercategory, depending on availability. Example of a supercategory upgrade in AquaClass: A2 to A1. Captain's Club one category upgrade excludes category 12, FV, SV, C1 and guarantee categories, Z, Y, X, XC, XA, W. This offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares including but not limited to travel agent and employee rates. Upgrades apply for one stateroom per cruise. Stateroom assignments only. Not valid on holiday sailings. Upgrades available from categories 11- A1 on all Celebrity ships except Celebrity Xpedition®. Offer valid for members who are Classic Level or higher at the time of booking.

Edited by wallie5446

Upgrades are 'within' a category, but, excludes category 12, FV, SV, C1 and guarantee categories, The OP booked the cheapest inside GTY thru a TA. It don't work that way.

And booking thru an agent puts the OP at their mercy, since it is their group rate they received. The agent can give an upgrade to whatever is in their block of cabins, they control the booking, not the OP nor Celebrity.

From the web site:

One-Category Upgrade

One-category upgrade requests must be made at the time of booking and apply only for upgrades within the supercategory, depending on availability. Example of a supercategory upgrade in AquaClass: A2 to A1. Captain's Club one category upgrade excludes category 12, FV, SV, C1 and guarantee categories, Z, Y, X, XC, XA, W. This offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares including but not limited to travel agent and employee rates. Upgrades apply for one stateroom per cruise. Stateroom assignments only. Not valid on holiday sailings. Upgrades available from categories 11- A1 on all Celebrity ships except Celebrity Xpedition®. Offer valid for members who are Classic Level or higher at the time of booking.

Did you even read the original post? The OP had a question about switching from and Inside Guarantee to an outside because the outside was now the same price as the inside guarantee. He/she was not questioning their ability to be upgraded by one category.

To the OP, let us know what you finally do and if you are able to cancel and rebook.

Hi I have booked an inside guarentee very early for a TA cruise. Is aw today that an Oceanview was the same price as my guarentee so I called my agent . She called Celebrity and they said that the ocean view was higher price than what was on the web site and said I couldn't have it. Also I mentioned that we are select with them,didn't seem to cut any ice. I booked this in June and was hoping I would get a better deal. I guess they don't care about early bookings or select members. I was just hoping for an upgrade.

Did you even read the original post? The OP had a question about switching from and Inside Guarantee to an outside because the outside was now the same price as the inside guarantee. He/she was not questioning their ability to be upgraded by one category.

To the OP, let us know what you finally do and if you are able to cancel and rebook.

Yes I did read the original post, they said, " I was just hoping for an upgrade" not switching, nor paying more.

Edited by wallie5446

There is no reason why the OP should be able to be upgraded. They may lose some perks, they may leave a group, there maybe reasons that make staying a better choice, but if their payment was more than another category I see no reason to not have it.

There are some new folks answering phones at X right now. If the answer you get makes no sense call again.

This type of upgrade is different than the upgrade made during original booking.

The OPs original fare may have included a promotion. The OV fare that she is trying for may include a different promotion that does not stack with her original discount. The OV upgrade can probably be had if the OP is willing to give up her original discount

Edited by josephsschmoe

The OPs original fare may have included a promotion. The OV fare that she is trying for may include a different promotion that does not stack with her original discount. The OV upgrade can probably be had if the OP is willing to give up her original discount

Or have a persistent TA (as we did). Two cabins, both upgraded from OV to veranda with no loss of the 123go promo. TA admitted that she was initially told no unless we wanted to lose the promo. Another phone call, different celebrity rep, upgrade done. Yes, after final payment.

Frankly, this is something that disturbs me about celebrity. have a policy and stick with it. Fairly apply it to everyone. Though we've benefitted, it shouldn't be just the squeeky wheels that get greased.

...... And just because you have been on every cruise there is and have a hundred more booked does not in my opion make you any diffrent then anyone else on the ship. There guess I am in a mood to:rolleyes:

Sorry but if a person has a hundred more cruises booked they are different from the rest of us - about $200,000 different to the cruise line's revenue vs. you and me. (assuming each cruise is 2X $1,000 of course.:D) It's just like when I go in to a dealership to buy my cheapo car. The guy next to me who is buying the Ferrari is different and is way more important to the dealership than I am. ;)

I don't understand the negative reactions here. If the OP booked a cruise, and the price went down BEFORE final payment then why shouldn't he or she get the better price? Since deposits are refundable before final payment, someone can cancel and re-book for a better fare. Celebrity knows this and in my experience has always honored a price drop before final payment. I feel like this one is a no brainer...

Exactly. I don't know why Celebrity would not be accommodating ( regardless of what your Captain's Club status is). A smart Celeb agent would give you the upgrade without any questions, it's easier than canceling and rebooking you again. All that wasted time. I like the money in my pocket and watch the prices very closely. I don't care if they reduce my cabin cost or give me OBC.

Marion

Exactly. I don't know why Celebrity would not be accommodating ( regardless of what your Captain's Club status is). A smart Celeb agent would give you the upgrade without any questions, it's easier than canceling and rebooking you again. All that wasted time. I like the money in my pocket and watch the prices very closely. I don't care if they reduce my cabin cost or give me OBC.

Marion

Hi I got the upgrade today!