Food - Regent and Oceania

Travelcat2

Jackie, I figure you have probably been there before, but St. Bart's is probably our favorite island in the Caribbean. I would go ashore just to walk around. It is very clean and safe, unlike a lot of other places in the Caribbean. And there is great window shopping even if you don't buy anything.

Today, in St. Kitts...Once we arrived in the center of town, it was packed. The central point of where NCL and RCCL were docked was the bar -- a large space in the middle of shops. The shops were packed with people and children. There was absolutely nothing there that a Regent or Oceania passenger would be interested in (nor were the crew). We went back after 15 minutes in town.

We loved St. Kitts. The first thing we did was rent a car and get out of town... the island was beautiful.

<sigh> ...and miss another beautiful place?

Grab a drop top and see the finest beaches and great vistas... ;)

8647797717_df0a689e7d_b.jpg

8647798913_b82729f8e1_b.jpg

8647796591_6633f385d1_b.jpg

You're more brave than me. I took a mini van tour of St Bart's a few years ago, sat in the front seat next to the driver, and decided that anyone who drives there is nuts. Every road is narrow and windy, driveways and side streets are all blind, and all the other drivers have their eyes closed :).

Sent from my XT1031 using Forums mobile app

TC (and Computerworks) - I have very much enjoyed seeing your collective pics and also enjoyed the focus on the food, as that's what a lot of posters in the past have stated was one of the defining difference between R and O.

TC - I also have enjoyed reading some of your observations and comparisons between the 2 different cruises lines (from the perspective of a self-described Regent cheerleader) :D. I'm not sure if I yet have enough information to make a decision for a future cruise (on O), but it was interesting to read some of your observations. I must admit that I have come to "know" Regent with my first 3 cruises (and a 4th coming up next October) and haven't yet encountered anything negative enough to make me want to "change" to another line. But there's no telling what the future might hold.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to post and document your "O cruise". Regards.

The lamb looked like it was encased in a suet crust..

Thanks for the great thread.Being across the atlantic,all you Americans tend to post in the middle of my night,so I get up each day ( sometimes 6am for work) looking forward to the posts.

Unhappy with Regent I think I may now look into Oceania.

And if I understand Gerry's comment/s correctly, she probably won't go to Toscana again (presumably, yet another "waste of space" in her view) primarily because the portion of Osso Bucco served to her at one particular meal was "too large" (is anyone actually forced to eat everything that is brought to their table) and she didn't care for the presence of an "Oil Cart" in the dining room?

Reading some of these opinions indicates to me that both Regent and Oceania are on a "fools mission" if they actually think they have any real shot at pleasing many of their passengers. Am I simply misinterpreting these comments or am I just taking them all too literally here? Regards to all.

WRONG! I do not think Toscana is a waste of space and certainly never said so. What I do think, based on my understanding of northern Italian food (gained from living less than an hour from the Italian border and very frequent trips to Tuscany) is that the food at Toscana is "heavy" and portions are very large. I agree - one is not obliged to eat everything on one's plate. But to me, a plate without lots of "white space" doesn't look very appetising. And it is not at all that I "do not care" for the presence of the "oil cart" - just that it seems very OTT to me and somewhat unnecessary.

I shall indeed make two reservations for dinner at Toscana on our April cruise. And see if things there are as I remember. Jackie's review makes me think that they are, but I want to see (taste?) for myself... If I still don't like it I will ask the butler to pass the second reservation onto someone else who does.

Reason I really DO think the Executive Lounge is a waste of space is that the few times we used it (for me to get a cup of Earl Grey right before my cooking class) we were the only ones there. And yes, as Wendy says, I could have had my tea elsewhere!

Ron - we should definitely have that drink and perhaps I can persuade you that Trivia is really lots of fun besides being good for the "grey matter".

Jackie - I didn't realise your cruise is ending! Sad for you and sad for all of us who have so enjoyed the comments and photos. (Thanks to Ron, too!!) It was really great of you to take the time to post throughout the cruise, and to get answers to pesky questions as well. Merci mille fois!

Gerry

TC2....Computerworks is correct. As I said prior, take a taxi to Nikki Beach, it is next to Eden Rock hotel on one of the most beautiful, white sand beaches. When we were there last, they had a large international sailing event and quite fun to sit at the restaurant on the beach, sipping champagne and eating lobster for lunch.

You're more brave than me. ...decided that anyone who drives there is nuts.

:p ...then, guilty as charged.

Actually, I found St.Bart's pretty easy...well marked roads, great signage.

I love driving anywhere... the more challenging, the better. If the destination is appropriate, we'll always look to renting a car or motorcycle to explore on our own.

I will say that my recent stint on the one-lane mountain roads of Eastern Sicily pushed the envelope...but still was fun, if not an adrenaline rush. Plus, I got to meet some very 'friendly' carabinieri. :eek:

computerworks -- you always seem to know exactly when to insert your photos -- love the images of St. Barts! Okay - so we are going ashore which means more mosquito spray. This is our third visit to St. Barts. It is definitely lovely.

portofinoitaly, had to laugh when you mentioned sipping champagne and eating lobster. Under normal circumstances, it would make my mouth water to think about it. On this cruise, however, I've had champagne every day and there is lobster everywhere we look. I do feel that the lobster in Waves is considerably more tasty than in the Terrace Cafe. The lobster in the lobster/caviar salad last night was extremely good (as is their lobster thermidor which we plan on having the last night).

Note to those who will be on Oceania in the future (especially if you have the alcohol package)..... be sure to ask for name brand alcohol and champagne. Regarding the alcohol package, I'd like to post a few prices that I remember so you can determine if the $60/day/person is right for you. I like the Tyler Florence Cabernet at $12.50/glass. The Montaudon Champagne I believe is $15 a glass. A martini is about $10 but they are smaller than what you would get in the U.S. if you ordered one. So, my DH has has one or two double martinis per day - one at lunch and one before dinner (either a lemon drop or espresso) and a couple of glasses of wine. I have a couple of glasses of wine at lunch -- two Kir Royale's with Montaudon Champagne before dinner and a couple of glasses of wine at dinner. When you add 18% tip to this (which is included in the package), it is an advantage for us to buy the package. Also, when you have the package and put your "World Card" on the table, they serve wine as they do on Regent - topping it up rather than waiting until you empty the glass before you order another one. There are many times when I have a glass or two of wine and just want a tiny bit more...... this doesn't really work if you do not have the package.

There are many little things that would make the Regent experience a bit better that are done on Oceania. The black vs. white napkin is one of them. Food presentation for certain items is another (although, as mentioned, as delightful as it is to have pumpkin soup served out of a pumpkin, it does make the soup cooler). We enjoy the table side preparation of Caesar salad (I believe this is all dining venues) is nice. I will post other things as I think of them.

In case I have not mentioned it yet, we definitely are recognized and may get better service with our "gold and black" room key indicating what suite we are in. This is something my DH (and Gerry ;) ) appreciate.

My DH is waiting for me to go downstairs and get ready for St. Barts. More later.

TC2..Yes, I understand about the lobster. We were on SeaDream when in St. Barths and it was not as plentiful as on O. It was a special day and memorable and a bit romantic, I must say. After our sailing trip up the coast of Maine one year I was lobstered out....did not want to see it for quite a few months. Have fun today!!

computerworks, is that real or a very well done mock-up of that deck?

The tender ride into St Barts was extremely rocky -- the first time I've felt queasy on the cruise. Almost impossible to stand in the tender without holding onto something with both hands. Also, it took a long time to tender into port and back. Not complaining -- just more difficult to get to port and back than I remembered. Also, I find the seats on Regent tenders are laid out a bit better.

Lunch was good (not great but good). Will send photo of my spaghetti and meatballs to computer works along with a photo of the "surf and turf sandwich" that I keep talking about. The water was rapidly boiling for the spaghetti and after it was transferred into the frying pan, it was handled well and was nice and hot. Unfortunately, the meatballs were sitting on the side - not near any heat source and were lukewarm at best (and was not to my taste).

Tonight is Polo again -- will take pictures of anything that we have not photographed previously.

Another thank you for a wonderful thread! And to computerworks as well.

Wishing you a lovely finish to your cruise, and a safe, easy trip home.

Can't remember when your surgery is, but wishing you well for that too. As Wes would say, "Get well soonest."

Yeah, Jackie, good luck with the surgery! And thanks for the reports, and glad you had a good time. I must say, however, that the food shots all looked very unappetizing to me, sorry. Sometimes I just think I'm "over" cruising completely--can't imagine drinking or eating that much ever again.

Lunch was good (not great but good). Will send photo of my spaghetti and meatballs to computer works along with a photo of the "surf and turf sandwich" that I keep talking about.

Good spaghetti with poor, lukewarm meatballs

IMG_20141210_110354Large.jpg

Great self-Serve coffee machine

IMG_20141210_105818Large.jpg

Great surf and turf sandwich with truffle fries (hold the bread, no turf, double surf) at Waves

IMG_20141210_111439Large.jpg

TC - DW and I simply can't seem to get enough (good) lobster in our lives :p. And finding it in Arizona is a quest "doomed to failure" from the outset. DW grew up in Massachusetts with a father who was a professional chef for 40+ years. Lobster for her and 3 siblings, was like hot dogs were for most other kids. And it's something that (so far) we've both found to be rather disappointing on Regent. It has always seemed tough, over cooked, and previously frozen (understandably), both in P7 and in CR on the past R cruises we've taken. Perhaps we've simply set "too high of a bar".

Getting "better lobster" was one of the driving forces behind us booking the Navigator New England cruise for next October. If fresh lobster wasn't available onboard, we could enjoy it in ports like New London, Boston, Bar Habor, and Nova Scotia :o.

Your picture of the "Surf 'n Surf" on O looked good. Did you find the lobster you were served onboard Riviera to be at least as good/better than what you've had in the past on R? Regards.

First, I want to thank you for the many kind posts. It feels so good to know that what I post is of interest. Also, thanks for the comments about my upcoming surgery (on New Year's Eve Day:o). I am a very active person and will have a bit of difficulty (mentally) using a walker, etc, for a couple of weeks.

Also, I cannot stress enough that this thread would be impossible without the assistance of computerworks. With his assistance, I will put Regent's food under scrutiny in April. I already know one thing that I will post. The extra "stuff" put on the plates to make them look nice (generally potato pieces and/or carrot pieces) are generally not cooked correctly and are not warm. Obviously, this is being posted based on memory of past cruises.

Tonight my DH had a bit of an upset stomach. He believes that it is from eating too much. So, he had only soup and some of a Cobb Salad. Unfortunately, once again, I forgot to take a picture. The Cobb Salad on Oceania is different, There is a hard cooked egg, roasted scallions, blue cheese, a bit of bacon (it looked like English bacon rather than American bacon) and some proscuitto (misspelled). Also forgot the photo of my meal -- surf and turf. The filet mignon was only 4 ounces -- perfect for me and the lobster was small (again - this is a good thing). Since this was our last time in Polo, I ordered the lobster mac 'n cheese as a side. Really delicious -- mostly lobster. While I did not finish my meal, it was served hot and was quite enjoyable.

I can identify with Wendy's comments about food. There is way too much food on cruises. While I tell myself that I will not order much, this is not always the case. The main area where I have cut back is breakfast where I continue to have a small bagel and coffee.

pingpong1: I read your post a few hours ago and wanted to really think about my response. Most of the lobster I have had on ships cannot touch the flavor of lobster on the east coast of the U.S. Some of the Florida lobster on board the Riviera is nice but cannot compare to what you are able to get at home. The best lobster my DH and I have had on a ship was steamed lobster on Regent. While we are not fans of steamed foods, we have had extremely good lobster twice on Regent (steamed both times). Food is so subjective that it is difficult to know what someone else considers to be excellent. This response is truly the best I can do.

The aft elevators on the Riviera remain a traffic problem. The two elevators simply cannot handle all of the passengers that want to dine in the Terrace Cafe (deck 12) or Toscana and Polo (deck 14) ...... hmmmmm on this ship I probably should have said "floor 12" and "floor 14". When the ship is not moving, it is easier to take the forward elevators and walk across the open decks.

Most of the passengers on this cruise are from the U.S. and Canada. There are quite a few Canadians that speak French rather than English so I assume they are from the western part of Canada (if this is an offensive assumption, please forgive me). I also assume that this itinerary is of particularly interest to French speaking guests because 3 of the ports were French.

Not sure what I will post on our last sea days. I'll definitely do some reflections of this cruise (compared to Regent) and may give my opinions of Regent going forward.

Going back to the suite and will wait for the rough seas that are almost certainly ahead of us:)

Edited by Travelcat2

Actually the French part of Canada is on the East coast of North America.

Yes, food is subjective and we prefer our vegetables steamed and our lobster steamed or grilled.

Also, when on our many cruises we have taken the elevator only twice (understand your knee problem) therefore we consider it part of our daily aerobic activity. :)

I really appreciate the time and effort you put into this and it has been quite enjoyable and although our we have differences, your daily updates have been most interesting and appreciated. Safe travels home :)

BTW..we lived on San Juan island in WA for a brief time..one of our many adventures and love Seattle. Sea planes and ferries.

TravelCat2,

I want to thank you for posting on this cruise and I wish you a very quick recovery for your knee surgery. We were on Voyager right after you I believe from Sydney to Singapore last Feb. and my DH had total hip replacement three days later on Monday and was back to work the following Monday part time. Orthopedic procedures are getting better all of the time. Best wishes!

TC2.

You will be up and about in no time.make sure you follow the physiotherapy exercises as instructed....! I was on Navigator with a' mechanical' knee brace after stem cell surgery to my knee ( new option instead of replacement).i came across some really lovely caring people.So thanks to anyone who met me.

Your posts have been really good and thanks to you and computer works for the info.

Look forward to any more threads onboard any Regent ( or other) ships.

Merry Christmas everyone and good health for the new year.:D