Bermuda Wifi At Dockyard

aussie cruzer

I've been able to pick up the wifi at both Kings Wharf and Heritage Wharf (on NCL Dawn and Breakaway) last year. Sat out on a comfortable lounger on Deck 7 and spent an hour or two catching up on emails and Facebook.

Thanks. Where exactly do we buy it? Sorry if this has been covered, but I've never been there and am unsure exactly where we go.

Thanks. Where exactly do we buy it? Sorry if this has been covered, but I've never been there and am unsure exactly where we go.

In the Dockyard there's a store called Island Outfitter - just walk up to the second floor and the very nice and helpful people working there will take care of you. The best deal was the three day access - I remember it being around $15.00.

In the Dockyard there's a store called Island Outfitter - just walk up to the second floor and the very nice and helpful people working there will take care of you. The best deal was the three day access - I remember it being around $15.00.

You can buy the WiFi service at the Visitors Information Center building that is just a few steps from the ferry dock. No need to walk further or to a second floor store.

You can buy the WiFi service at the Visitors Information Center building that is just a few steps from the ferry dock. No need to walk further or to a second floor store.

Thanks to both of you! I appreciate it. Since we'll be going to the VIC to get our ferry tickets, might as well get the internet service there too.

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter bought the package right on her phone. Paid with my credit card while sitting on our balcony. I cannot for the life of me remember the website but we found it in one of those town papers that was around the dock in one of the stores, the free ones.

Unfortunately I packed our vacation memory box as we are preparing to put our house on the market but if I remember I will try to peek to find it. So there is no need for you to have to go anywhere to buy it.

I am pretty sure my daughter just looked on her phone for a wifi network and clicked on the TBi Wi-Fi Zone network and it brought her to a sign up page.

It was pretty easy,well at least for a phone literate 21 year old. LOL

• 1 month later...
Is there any place at the dockyard to get free wifi?

We're on the Grandeur in June and only in Bermuda for 24 hours.

Thanks!

Dockyard has paid WiFi coverage (daily pass sold, inexpensive) and one of the restaurant (Clocktower Mall) is said to offer WiFi for customers.

We have 3G data coverage from Digicel, local roaming partner with "Fi" network (Sprint & T-Mobile MNVO) - based on actual usage, $10 for 1 GB worth of data, same as home rates but slower (not 4G/LTE) ... which extend voice/text & data to 130 countries (it's an open "secret" available for Android devices & our iPad/tablet can tether or use cellular data directly, as add-on at the same $10 per GB of data. The frequent flyer community of business travelers are discovering and many switching or adding "Fi" as their backup or travel package ... those that cruise often might find this to be very useful in ports, the downside is that there is currently zero (no) services or coverage on cruise ships as that's over satellite.

T-Mobile has free roaming data & text coverage abroad as well - 120 countries but it is for slower 2G/Edge speed.

Typically, WiFi signal has a practical range of no more than 150' to 300' outdoors under optimal conditions, whereas cellular tower's signal can be up to several miles away - a very substantial difference. We will be cruising the NCL Breakaway in late May to Bermuda & will checkout our Fi coverage & share our findings, including WiFi calling on our Nexus devices.

Dockyard has paid WiFi coverage (daily pass sold, inexpensive) and one of the restaurant (Clocktower Mall) is said to offer WiFi for customers.

We have 3G data coverage from Digicel, local roaming partner with "Fi" network (Sprint & T-Mobile MNVO) - based on actual usage, $10 for 1 GB worth of data, same as home rates but slower (not 4G/LTE) ... which extend voice/text & data to 130 countries (it's an open "secret" available for Android devices & our iPad/tablet can tether or use cellular data directly, as add-on at the same $10 per GB of data. The frequent flyer community of business travelers are discovering and many switching or adding "Fi" as their backup or travel package ... those that cruise often might find this to be very useful in ports, the downside is that there is currently zero (no) services or coverage on cruise ships as that's over satellite.

T-Mobile has free roaming data & text coverage abroad as well - 120 countries but it is for slower 2G/Edge speed.

Typically, WiFi signal has a practical range of no more than 150' to 300' outdoors under optimal conditions, whereas cellular tower's signal can be up to several miles away - a very substantial difference. We will be cruising the NCL Breakaway in late May to Bermuda & will checkout our Fi coverage & share our findings, including WiFi calling on our Nexus devices.

Thanks for all your information! I am technically challenged and don't quite understand the "Fi". I have Verizon. I'll either buy a day pass for wifi or enjoy some "dark and stormy" at the Frog and Onion Pub!!! We're only in Bermuda overnight, but my daughter wants to be able to keep in touch with her husband.

... don't quite understand the "Fi". I have Verizon. I'll either buy a day pass for wifi or enjoy some "dark and stormy" at the Frog and Onion Pub!!! We're only in Bermuda overnight, but my daughter wants to be able to keep in touch with her husband.

Fi is DW's provider (both of us switched, former VZW with 22% corporate discount) - it's cellular services by Google, with the combined network of Sprint & T-Mobile, and roaming partners in 130 countries - for a lot less monthly. It can be an excellent choice for light users - her bill last month was just $31 with taxes/fees, getting rebated for unused data - unlimited calling & texting, half of what we paid to VZW in 2013.

To stay in touch while cruising, the best & inexpensive way is texting, as low as 20 cents or 25 cents to send, perhaps 50 cents per text roaming outside "home" area - incoming at similar rates, free with some carrier.

The 1 day WiFi pass sold was (is ?) less than $10 - reception is mixed from the ships so best way to use is on the pier.

Fi is DW's provider (both of us switched, former VZW with 22% corporate discount) - it's cellular services by Google, with the combined network of Sprint & T-Mobile, and roaming partners in 130 countries - for a lot less monthly. It can be an excellent choice for light users - her bill last month was just $31 with taxes/fees, getting rebated for unused data - unlimited calling & texting, half of what we paid to VZW in 2013.

To stay in touch while cruising, the best & inexpensive way is texting, as low as 20 cents or 25 cents to send, perhaps 50 cents per text roaming outside "home" area - incoming at similar rates, free with some carrier.

The 1 day WiFi pass sold was (is ?) less than $10 - reception is mixed from the ships so best way to use is on the pier.

You can text from the ship while cruising for only about 50 cents per text?

You can text from the ship while cruising for only about 50 cents per text?

Yes - and texting is FREE with my Sprint plan once in Bermuda. While at sea, I believe it's .50 to send a text and something like .05 cents for incoming texts. So if you're sending, make it a longer text so you don't get hit too hard with multiple short texts.

Calls in Bermuda are only .20 cents a minute. Data runs $30 Kb though, so the WiFi option at the Dockyard is good for that part.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

Yes - and texting is FREE with my Sprint plan once in Bermuda. While at sea, I believe it's .50 to send a text and something like .05 cents for incoming texts. So if you're sending, make it a longer text so you don't get hit too hard with multiple short texts.

Calls in Bermuda are only .20 cents a minute. Data runs $30 Kb though, so the WiFi option at the Dockyard is good for that part.

Thank you so much for all this information!

:)

Yes, it's free to receive unlimited incoming SMS or text messages - and free to send, with one of my line on T-Mobile's Simple Choice Plan - data is unlimited (slower 2G/Edge, "usable" for maps & checking simple email - talk is just 20 cents a minute) This is NOT a typo - talk on the islands of Bermuda (not on the cruise ship) is 20 cents (US dollars) per minute.

For other T-Mobile plans @ Bermuda - outgoing text messages or SMS is 50 cents each, incoming text msg. are deducted against the plan's allowance or free for those on unlimited texting plans. Talk is $2.39 a minute (+ taxes/fees/surcharges) and that's a lot cheaper than most cruise ship's calling rates from the staterooms.

While cruising at sea - rates for NCL ships like the Breakaway - texting 50 cents outgoing and free for incoming or deducted against allowance. Talk is $5.99 a minute and billed to the T-Mobile account. Call 611 on your device before leaving to check & make sure global or international calling features are turned ON and not blocked or disabled. But, in case of difficulties while traveling - toll free calls can be made abroad to T-Mobile's global support desk - basically 24/7 free at no charge, we did that once while in South Korea when one of the niece's iPhone had difficulties with her APN settings.

Use this linked template to check & confirm the info before sailing - http://www.t-mobile.com/optional-services/roaming.html

For AT&T postpaid plans - there is a bundled package for covered cruise lines (excluding NCL) - $30 for the plan, good for up to 30 days - texting at no extra charges and talk is $1 a minute. Otherwise, pay-per-use-fees or rates apply for other cruise ships - incoming text/msg is free, outgoing text/msg is 50 cents to send (MMS/video is $1.30 each) and Talk is $2.50 a minute.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/international/roaming.html

Verizonwireless has similar plans - text/msg is 5 cents incoming, and 50 cents to send/outgoing text/msg. Talk is $1.79 a minute (lower than AT&T, surprised) http://www.verizonwireless.com/landingpages/international-travel/

As for our Project Fi (by Google) - it's free and unlimited texting, including Bermuda and calls are 20 cents a minute; free if we can use WiFi calling - https://fi.google.com/about/faq/#international-usage-3 (In essence, while docked & sightseeing in Bermuda & even while onboard, as long as we can pickup the cellular tower's signal - we get free & unlimited texting and can call/talk for 20 cents a minute, as if we are on Sprint and T-Mobile's roaming network).

Keeping track of all the changes & best options is part of the challenge - I have a smartphone with a global roaming plan, mainly for voice & texting as backup & for emergencies, it default to AT&T's network & if not available, switch to T-Mobile, using an unlocked iPhone 5S - and do WiFi calling & Skype calling cheaply everywhere, in addition to doing Facetime audio calling, whatever's available.

Disclaimer - these rates are the best available that I managed to compile & valid as of this date, please check with your carrier & reconfirm in case of changes, just before sailing - when in doubt, call 611 from your device first - there is usually a toll-free # to call from abroad, at no charge, for customer service & help / tech support.

[ P.S. we will be in Bermuda on NCL's Breakaway during the 3rd. week of May, our 4th. visit to the islands and will update our experience afterward on using Fi's network partner ("Digicel") - going to see if we can make use of our iPad Mini's cellular data option - was on Sprint's network but unlocked & on T-Mobile's free-for-life, domestic mobile data plan, and will use the add-on Fi data only Sim, as $10 per GB of 3G data is dirt cheap ]