One More luggage tag question..

Trich64

Go here for the best Luggage tag printing tool and it's free!!

http://www3.zansstuff.com/luggage-tags

You can print your Name and you can also print 4 tags per page.

rearrange.png

I have used this program before and it really works well. The only problem I have with it is that I was afraid the tag would fall out of the plastic sleeve since a single sheet of paper that is not folded is very slim. I opted for printing one tag per sheet. I found the extra thickness of the folding held the tag more securely in place. I thought about taping the top but didn't.

Shak

I have used this program before and it really works well. The only problem I have with it is that I was afraid the tag would fall out of the plastic sleeve since a single sheet of paper that is not folded is very slim. I opted for printing one tag per sheet. I found the extra thickness of the folding held the tag more securely in place. I thought about taping the top but didn't.

Shak

I never had a tag fall out and I have done this at least a dozen times.

I never had a tag fall out and I have done this at least a dozen times.

That's good to know but with printing the extra sheet of paper I feel more secure. We only check two pieces of luggage.

Shak

The porters will tag your luggage for you when you arrive at port. Just show them the tag in your set sail documents and they write them on high quality airline grade luggage tags and stick them on for you. I do this every time and never had to bother with printing multiple copies, cutting, folding, taping, stapling, and all that other fun stuff.

Just another option and takes about a minute when you arrive.

What is the size of the luggage tags? Can they be printed on a 5x7 piece of paper? I have probably 100 sheets of HP 5x7 photoprint paper (gifts with ink purchase) that would be more durable than regular paper.

If you load the image into a photo editing program, you can print the tag out on any size paper and edit the image to add your name. However, remember that if you reduce the size of the tag too much, it will be hard to read.

BTW. you can print 1 tag per sheet with your name on it.

If you read post 19 from denamo you will see instructions for printing your name on your luggage tags with the PDF form from the cruise line. I tried it and it works too.

I like printing my name with the printer because it looks neat and the more ways for my luggage to find me the better.

Having a printed, legible, with the correct information luggage tag is why I don't have the porter write one out. Plus that process is hectic enough without slowing down the process.

Again I think the program you use works well but these are my reasons for not using it. If you like it I am ok with that.

Shak

Edited by Shak

Shak

First of all the paper is inserted in the end with the hole for the plastic loop. Once the plastic loop is inserted, there is no room for the tag to slide out.

Second, you have to look at the amount of friction vs. the weight of the paper inside the plastic sleeve. There is no way the paper could simply slide out.

Where do you print the luggage tags from? I just paid off my cruise and they sent my confirmation of booking, but no luggage tag was connected to that.

Sorry for the question. :D

The luggage tags usually become available at 49 days before the cruise. There will be a "Print Luggage Tag" button on the same page where you do online check-in.

First of all the paper is inserted in the end with the hole for the plastic loop. Once the plastic loop is inserted, there is no room for the tag to slide out.

Second, you have to look at the amount of friction vs. the weight of the paper inside the plastic sleeve. There is no way the paper could simply slide out.

The luggage sleeves I have from Amazon there seems to me to be enough room for the single sheet to slide out since it slides in so easily. The sleeve I have the plastic loop goes through only one side and the loop hole is 3/8" above the opening for the tag to be inserted. If it went through both side I could see your point. I could tape it but as I said earlier I feel more comfortable printing two separate labels.

As for your second point I'll have to trust your science but I am still printing my luggage tags on separate pages.

Actually since I am only printing two I am saving ink as well. With the program you are printing 4 labels.

Shak

As for your second point I'll have to trust your science ...

Shak

No you don't. Put a single sheet of paper in the luggage tag, shake it, hang it upside down, do whatever.

Come back in a week and let us know, is it in or is it out? The world wants to know. :)

Actually since I am only printing two I am saving ink as well. With the program you are printing 4 labels.

Shak

I print one tag per sleeve, just like you. However, I only use one sheet of paper per sleeve, so I am not using any more ink than you and I am using less paper than you are.

Edited by Cuizer2

No you don't. Put a single sheet of paper in the luggage tag, shake it, hang it upside down, do whatever.

Come back in a week and let us know, is it in or is it out? The world wants to know. :)

I print one tag per sleeve, just like you. However, I only use one sheet of paper per sleeve, so I am not using any more ink than you and I am using less paper than you are.

I would say that the 4 color printed labels use more ink then 2 but I will agree I use one more sheet of paper.

If you are alright with it not falling out that's all that counts but I will continue to use a whole sheet. I'll leave telling the world up to you.

Shak

I would say that the 4 color printed labels use more ink then 2 but I will agree I use one more sheet of paper.

If you are alright with it not falling out that's all that counts but I will continue to use a whole sheet. I'll leave telling the world up to you.

Shak

There is only one label per sheet. Are you saying that you cut your label in half. Because other wise, I only use two labels - not four (I print two sheets of paper). I don't want the back side of my luggage tag to be blank.

Edited by Cuizer2

There is only one label per sheet. Are you saying that you cut your label in half. Because other wise, I only use two labels - not four (I print two sheets of paper). I don't want the back side of my luggage tag to be blank.

I have been talking about the program in post 25 that prints 4 double sided labels on one sheet of paper.

Shak

I have the clear plastic sleeve tag holders I got from serendipity.com. They are wide, and I put my C&A card in the sleeve with them. The card is extra insurance against the luggage tag sliding out (which it has never done). The card weights down the tag, and it also provides a second source of id, since the C&A cards have our names on them, too.

I LOVE this tag printing program! I just tested it, and it works great!! Thanks so much.

Edited by pcur

Go here for the best Luggage tag printing tool and it's free!!

http://www3.zansstuff.com/luggage-tags

You can print your Name and you can also print 4 tags per page.

Cool program, FLACRUISER99. I downloaded it and went through the steps just to understand it since I've already printed our luggage tags for our upcoming January cruise.

Ever have any issues with the cutting process? Not sure about how neatly that would be accomplished. ;) That would be the only aspect of the process that would make me lean towards the one per page option in the cruise docs.

Thanks for sharing. Always nice to have options.

Edited by denamo

Yes, and if you print and fold your own paper tags instead, for about a third of that cost you can order a set of 8 heavy plastic luggage tag holders that are much more secure and that you can use over and over again!

Amazon Cruise Luggage Tag Holders

That's what we did and if you have Amazon Prime then the shipping is free. We got some last year for Holland America. HAL and RCCL are completely different in size, but I figured we'll go with both cruise lines again so will get multiple uses out of them. :)

Cool program, FLACRUISER99. I downloaded it and went through the steps just to understand it since I've already printed our luggage tags for our upcoming January cruise.

Ever have any issues with the cutting process? Not sure about how neatly that would be accomplished. ;) That would be the only aspect of the process that would make me lean towards the one per page option in the cruise docs.

They are real easy to cut especially if you have access to one of these. However I have used good scissors w/o a problem. http://www.amazon.com/Swingline-Trimmer-Guillotine-Capacity-ClassicCut/dp/B00006IATH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419196452&sr=8-1&keywords=Paper+Cutters

Using the handy Luggage Tag Printing Tool, I customized the tags, printed the sheet out on cardstock paper, cut the 4 strips, folded each tag in half, then using clear packing tape (a laminator would be even better), I taped each tag all the way around, then using a paper punch, I punched a hole to string a cable tie thru to attach to luggage. It's now a strong, heavy duty, waterproof tag and an easy craft project if you don't have the tag sleeves.

front and back view:

GEDC1525Medium_zps00d3ad46.jpg

Edited by muladybug

They are real easy to cut especially if you have access to one of these. However I have used good scissors w/o a problem. http://www.amazon.com/Swingline-Trimmer-Guillotine-Capacity-ClassicCut/dp/B00006IATH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419196452&sr=8-1&keywords=Paper+Cutters

Using the handy Luggage Tag Printing Tool, I customized the tags, printed the sheet out on cardstock paper, cut the 4 strips, folded each tag in half, then using clear packing tape (a laminator would be even better), I taped each tag all the way around, then using a paper punch, I punched a hole to string a cable tie thru to attach to luggage. It's now a strong, heavy duty, waterproof tag and an easy craft project if you don't have the tag sleeves.

front and back view:

GEDC1525Medium_zps00d3ad46.jpg

Thank you both for your input. Great information.

• 2 weeks later...
In your cruise documents, which everyone gets for free online, you'll see this document:

i-HzQbdVf.jpg

This is your luggage tag. It's free and you can print as many copies of this page as you need. Why buy and wait for luggage tags?

I know that they email you the cruise documents, but can you tell me how soon they will come? We are on the Brilliance at the end of Feb. We made our final payment last week. Just wondering when I can print luggage tags. We did use a TA so I am assuming it will go to her?

Oh, and I bought the luggage tag holders from Cruise Critic and paid $14.30 including shipping. Might have been on sale.

Thanks for your info!