Adonia - Sorrento Restaurant

Glenndale

Attention ex-Adonia sailors.

We have booked a saver cruise on Adonia. As we cannot guarantee that we will get our preferred dining sitting, we are resigned to the fact that we will probably dine in Sorrento most nights.

How easy is it to get a booking in this restaurant, was it busy most nights?

We were on a saver fare on Adonia last month. Although the ship was full, we were able to change our allocated dining time (from late to early sitting), Did not try Sorrento but did notice it was not open every evening. Hope this helps.

Attention ex-Adonia sailors.

We have booked a saver cruise on Adonia. As we cannot guarantee that we will get our preferred dining sitting, we are resigned to the fact that we will probably dine in Sorrento most nights.

How easy is it to get a booking in this restaurant, was it busy most nights?

It shouldn't be too difficult to get a booking at Sorrento. On a recent 17 night cruise I think it was only closed for one night. Cover charge is quite small but I cannot understand why you feel you will probably need to eat there most nights. If there is a medical reason why you need to eat at a certain time if you let them know in advance they should be able to cater for your needs. If it just personal preference, it seems rather a drastic thing to do especially as the food in the MDR is so good

We were on a saver fare on Adonia last month. Although the ship was full, we were able to change our allocated dining time (from late to early sitting), Did not try Sorrento but did notice it was not open every evening. Hope this helps.

That sounds promising, we can try and change our allocated seating, maybe we won't have to. I thought that they were pretty strict about NOT allowing those of us in the cheap seats to change. :D

Sorrento looks as though it serves some nice food and for only a small surcharge, so it is a back up strategy.

It's a matter of wait and see now, will find out on the 11th, maybe we will be lucky :)

It shouldn't be too difficult to get a booking at Sorrento. On a recent 17 night cruise I think it was only closed for one night. Cover charge is quite small but I cannot understand why you feel you will probably need to eat there most nights. If there is a medical reason why you need to eat at a certain time if you let them know in advance they should be able to cater for your needs. If it just personal preference, it seems rather a drastic thing to do especially as the food in the MDR is so good

Hi, I'm pretty sure that the MDR food will be good but as a back up strategy Sorrento looks favourite.

I understand that the buffet is only open on certain nights and as I don't particularly enjoy buffets and prefer to be served that's a non starter anyway.

Fingers crossed :)

On our recent cruise people at the next table wanted to go to Sorrento, but they had to wait four days for a table. On the other hand, we walked in the evening before and were lucky. I think its a bit hit and miss.

The Sorrento menu isn't vast and I think it would get monotonous say on a 17 nighter.

I did see a notice in the MDR telling people not to request any changes as their request couldn't be granted. I don't know if this was set in stone.

Edited by indiana123

We dined in Sorrento once and enjoyed it - some of our table companions went on the spur of the moment and got a table. The food in the main dining room was amongst the best we have had on a cruise - well worth trying. We were on board in September.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I totally agree with the post raised over the lack of ability to book a restaurant or a early/late sitting when booking on the saver option. We have cruised with P and O in the past and were disappointed this time when booking a short 4 night break in March that we could not specify at least a preference over meal time/restaurant and then that we may not be able to change the allocated booking once on board.

The worst option for us is being allocated a 6.30 meal time or freedom dinning. We much prefer to have a later meal and also to get to know some new people (which we find only really works if you are on the same table with the same people for a few nights. Dining for us is such an important part of the cruise.

Therefore in "fear" of a 6.30 meal time we have booked the Sorrento for 2 nights and the Ocean Grill for the other 2 which thankfully you can do on line. This at least gives us the later meal times.

Not being able to request a meal option is certainly a retrograde step for P and O when booking with the saver option and it would make us think again before we booked a longer cruise again with P and O. Probably we would go with Holland America.

I am surprised that the restriction on booking a meal time (on the saver option) has not been raised more on this site.

Rob

I totally agree with the post raised over the lack of ability to book a restaurant or a early/late sitting when booking on the saver option. We have cruised with P and O in the past and were disappointed this time when booking a short 4 night break in March that we could not specify at least a preference over meal time/restaurant and then that we may not be able to change the allocated booking once on board.

The worst option for us is being allocated a 6.30 meal time or freedom dinning. We much prefer to have a later meal and also to get to know some new people (which we find only really works if you are on the same table with the same people for a few nights. Dining for us is such an important part of the cruise.

Therefore in "fear" of a 6.30 meal time we have booked the Sorrento for 2 nights and the Ocean Grill for the other 2 which thankfully you can do on line. This at least gives us the later meal times.

Not being able to request a meal option is certainly a retrograde step for P and O when booking with the saver option and it would make us think again before we booked a longer cruise again with P and O. Probably we would go with Holland America.

I am surprised that the restriction on booking a meal time (on the saver option) has not been raised more on this site.

Rob

Rob - I think you need to delve a bit further - this has been raised so many times it gets boring. When you book a saver fare you accept the terms and conditions - And one of those is the fact that you don't get first choice of dining time. If that's a problem, then don't book a saver fare. And if you do, then don't moan.

I don't quite understand what people don't undersatnd. You get a cheap fare and there are potential drawbacks. If you don't like them , and choice of cabin and dining time are important to you, then book a different fare (Select) and then you can select your dining time. And cabin. Or book a different cruise line as you suggest you might.

No different to booking a flight. If it is important where you sit in a plane you have to pay for the choice. If it's not, then you pay less.

NB - I am not saying I like or agree with the fare structure - but you know what the Ts & Cs are when you book. Pays your money and tales your choice.

Thanks good response however it looks to me that you are now expected to pay a premium to get something that you already had (rather than the other way round) I still think its a retrograde step for P and O which I am surprised at, if its been raised many times I apologize but its important me and I think worth raising rather than cutting off debate.

Sorry - I wasn't trying to cut off debate - but you did say you were surprised that the issue hadn't been raised more. If you look back over the last year you will find many posts and threads on the subject.

In the "old days" the only formal fare structure was that you paid whatever the fare was at the time of booking, and could express a preference for your dining choice. (The price usually went up the closer you booked.) Then there was a time when "late deals " started becoming available. However your dining choice was not actually guaranteed and tended to be based on the early bookers getting preference . I recall being allocated early dining on Arcadia back in 2006 despite asking for late sitting - always our preferred choice - and I know we paid more than some others for the same cruise. And being a bit naive then we didn't think we could change so put up with it ( and hated it!)

So I don't really think P &O have taken away something because the "saver" fares didn't exist until the last couple of years. The introduction of Freedom dining - at passenger request - has I believe has had an impact on the numbers of pax getting their first choice as this has restricted the places available for set time dining. Until such time as all dining is Freedom - which personally I don't like - then some will be disappointed. Like you we like to get to know other passengers so prefer to have the same company each evening. And so far have never had a bad table!

Whatever sitting you get, I hope you enjoy your cruise. And you can always try your luck ask to change if the worst happens!