Carnival shifts Jamaica stops for Breeze to Falmouth

jimbo5544

Carnival will increase stops for the Breeze to Falmouth while still using Ocho Rios and Montego Bay for other ships. Appears that the re-do of Falmouth as a port is now a model of what they want to do with the other two ports.

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/carnival-shifts-a-number-of-jamaica-calls-to-falmouth.html

If they change it after we booked they should give us a refund if we want to change or cancel. We booked for Ocho Rios, just to go to Dunns river falls. It's one thing to change cause of bad weather, but another to change up after many people already booked based on this itinerary. I'll be keeping watch on my reservation.

Thanks for the heads up!

Edited by aeshaunua

Falmouth is on the way to Dunn's Falls. It is not that far from Ocho Rios. You are still on the same side of the island. So you do not have to travel far..

I just learned the distances recently ...

Falmouth is about 41 miles to the West of Dunn River Fall's. It is about an hour ride from the Falmouth cruise port to DRF. People do DRF from Falmouth all the time. Montego Bay is another 19 miles West of Falmouth and thus 59 miles or 1.5 hours from DRF.

What is there to do IN Falmouth?

We stopped there in March on Oasis. The fenced in area (much like the shops in Roatan) were nice. Due to someone not feeling well we did not venture out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If they change it after we booked they should give us a refund if we want to change or cancel. We booked for Ocho Rios, just to go to Dunns river falls. It's one thing to change cause of bad weather, but another to change up after many people already booked based on this itinerary. I'll be keeping watch on my reservation.

Thanks for the heads up!

You can still go to Dunns River Falls. It is about a 15 minute ride from Ocho Rios and a 70 minute ride from Falmouth. The roads are curvy and some of the drivers are questionable.

Thanks for the heads up!

This last June, I was booked on an Alaska cruise and they dropped one of our ports due to the ship malfunctioning. They offered anybody already booked their money back, applied to another cruise, or stay on the cruise with a $50 OBC and a 25% discount on our next cruise. I think Carnival does pretty good about taking care of it's paying customers.

There is NOTHING to do in Falmouth. We were there in March, got off the ship and walked around the make-believe town with the typical over-priced souvenir shops, saw Margaritaville and got back on the ship. From atop the ship, you could look out beyond the walls and gates around the fake town and see the abject poverty that is just beyond.

We were at Ocho Rios last month and really enjoyed our excursion to Mystic Mountain and Dunn's River Falls, all just minutes from the port. Would do Mystic Mountain again in a heartbeat!

There is NOTHING to do in Falmouth. We were there in March, got off the ship and walked around the make-believe town with the typical over-priced souvenir shops, saw Margaritaville and got back on the ship. From atop the ship, you could look out beyond the walls and gates around the fake town and see the abject poverty that is just beyond.

We were at Ocho Rios last month and really enjoyed our excursion to Mystic Mountain and Dunn's River Falls, all just minutes from the port. Would do Mystic Mountain again in a heartbeat!

I agree 100%

But Carnival really likes the enclosed, fenced in shopping areas of many of their ports of call. Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize, and Roatan come quickly to mind. They hype the idea that any passengers going outside the fence are inviting trouble and can get victimized. This model gets pax to stay in the Carnival area and spend their money there where it benefits Carnival and really doesn't help the local economy. When the ships leave, these areas shut down immediately. I'm surprised that Carnival doesn't have a McD's in their corrals yet.

But Carnival really likes the enclosed, fenced in shopping areas of many of their ports of call. Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize, and Roatan come quickly to mind. They hype the idea that any passengers going outside the fence are inviting trouble and can get victimized. This model gets pax to stay in the Carnival area and spend their money there where it benefits Carnival and really doesn't help the local economy. When the ships leave, these areas shut down immediately. I'm surprised that Carnival doesn't have a McD's in their corrals yet.

+1

Thanks for the heads up, Jimbo.

They do like it and are not alone. This port was originally redone specifically for Royal and the Oasis and Allure ( they can fit) so.....I guess it's just not Carnival who enjoys this. Let's remember, Disney and NCL do it as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the heads up!

If you read the fine print it will tell you Carnival has the right to change ports for any reason. All cruise lines have this rule.

I guess I am a strange one as I happen to like Falmouth far more than Ocho Rios or Montego Bay. There is none of the hassling that goes on to buy pot. It is very clean, safe and even though there isn't a lot to do in the area, we prefer it to the other cities.

I'm sure for someone who hasn't been to Jamaica before, Dunns River Falls is interesting, but we did that long ago and it's relaxing to just walk around the port, especially if the cruise is port intensive or we have plans for other ports.

If you read the fine print it will tell you Carnival has the right to change ports for any reason. All cruise lines have this rule.

Yeah for safety reasons or bad weather from what my pvp told me.

It's fine cause my cruise isn't affected by this change thank goodness. And for the record I've been to Jamaica many times, just never been to Ocho Rios.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk.

Edited by aeshaunua