Which credit card do you use?

kandj05

My DH and I currently have the RCCL credit card but I am looking at others. Which one do you use and why? I have never paid a yearly fee on a card and truly do not understand when that might be the better deal. Any insight on cards is appreciated!

I use the Royal Caribbean Visa on anything having to do with Royal Caribbean. Double points and we cruise a lot. So it's nice to get OBC. I only cash it out for OBC because I feel that I get more money's worth than upgrading cabins.

But I use an airline "skymiles" card so I can get to the cruises for most other purchases.

I prefer a cash back card so we use Capital One Quick Silver. You get 1.5% cash back on every purchase plus a $100 bonus if you spend I think like $500 in the first 3 months. They also don't have any earnings limits like some cards. That way, I can either save up my cash rewards and use on a trip (like I am for our NOS cruise in March) or use anytime.

Barclaycard Arrival Plus

I just got the same card Elite. first time ever I will pay a fee after the first year.

BUT - RCCL CC has gotten so restrictive, that is it just not worth it anymore. It was fantastic when we first got it, I have saved tons of $$ on companion fares, OBC, $$ off cruises, etc. But now, you cannot combine with so many things, just not worth it.

So went with the Barclays Elite. Even with the fee, since you get 2x every purchase and since we live with our CC and pay it off each month, going to be a much better deal

Right now, I am getting my 2 Royal Cards to the right amount to cash in for OBC and then done with them.

Please help me understand why you pay for a credit card?

Because of the benefits. For someone like us, who uses their credit card for everything, and I mean everything, including a coke at 7-11, it is worth it. We charge all month and pay it off. No interest charges. But rack up a ton of points. So for this card, we will in essence have the fee paid for in one month.

Chase Sapphire Preferred. There is a $95 fee each year but the benefits exceed that so I don't mind. Points transfer to airlines and hotel loyalty programs or you can use them on their travel site, with prices similar to Expedia, Priceline, etc. Awesome customer service and no foreign transaction fees.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would NEVER, EVER pay a "fee" to uses ANY card! What a waste of money!

We have a several cards that give us travel points with no fees, no restrictions.....and yes...we pay them off as we go, so there are no finance charges! That's the key to credit cards...pay them off! They are a convenience with some perks. Do NOT pay for them , in fees, or charges!

I use three, Southwest Airlines, American Airlines Advantage and a Venture Visa card and NEVER carry a balance and pay them off EVERY month.

The miles build up pretty quick and we use them to fly to the ports, or other trips vs trying to use them on just a cruise. ;)

I use three, Southwest Airlines, American Airlines Advantage and a Venture Visa card and NEVER carry a balance and pay them off EVERY month.

The miles build up pretty quick and we use them to fly to the ports, or other trips vs trying to use them on just a cruise. ;)

We have a several cards that give us travel points with no fees, no restrictions.....and yes...we pay them off as we go, so there are no finance charges! That's the key to credit cards...pay them off! They are a convenience with some perks. Do NOT pay for them , in fees, or charges!

That is what I said also until this card came up. Rated #1 for a travel card, and like I said, we charge enough that we make up that fee in one month. Pay it off, never any interest. We don't like a lot of CC, I only use one and have one for emergencies.

Historically, I use the Cap 1 card, with double points on meals, entertainment and travel. But because we are doing the Anthem from NYC in 2016, I am using my Amex Platinum card, which costs a small fortune, but I get $200 year back on airline expenses and visits to the airline clubs and lots of points. I am trying to get a weeks worth of free hotels.... It is stupid to use a card like this, but the perks are pretty good if you have a long layover, which almost every year I have going to from Europe.

jc

Sam's Master Card to pay for cruises. 3% off all travel and restaurants. Includes cruise lines. 5% off gas and 1% off everything else. Use another card for 'everything else'.

Use my Sams buisness crd for ga most all the time

I use the Southwest card. I put most everything I can on it. Most of what I put on it is business expenses that are reimbursed. I have been averaging 4 free flights a year for the past four years. Those four free flights are well worth the $79 fee. My wife also has the Southwest card and she hit companion status one year and I flew free with her for an entire year. For us the perks are well worth the small fee.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 using Forums mobile app.

We had never paid a fee for any card and we always pay in full monthly. AA Advantage through American Airlines offered us 50,000 free miles and waved the fee the first year. We also got priority boarding and no checked baggage fee for the first piece of luggage for up to four people. We fly at least 4 or 5 times a year and the checked luggage fee for one roundtrip flight was more than the $95. per year fee. so it is pretty much a trade off as long as we do one trip. If we stop traveling or it is not to our advantage than we will just cancel the card.

When traveling overseas we use the Capitol One card (no fee) and there is no foreign transaction fee. On RCCL we use the BOA RCCL visa to get double points when paying for our cruises and sea pass card. We use those points for OBC.

I use a combination of chase freedom (rotating 5% categories), chase amazon (3% on amazon 2% at restaurants, gas stations, and office supply stores), and capital one quicksilver (1.5%) for everything else. Pay them all off each month to avoid interest. I usually get at least 50-60 bucks a month in statement credits for stuff I was going to buy anyway.

I have never paid a fee for having a credit card like a annual fee. If ever they attempt to charge me with one, I call and have them remove it our cancel my card. They have always refunded the amount.

I have never had a annual with Bank of America RCCL Visa card. I also pay off my balance every month when the statement hits and have never paid interest on the credit card. I have had foreign transaction fees when I used it in Mexico a couple of times.

I do pay for a Bank of America Alaska Airlines card.....we get a Companion Pass $120 to use for each of the 2 cards we have. So with the Companion Passes we take our grandkids to Hawaii (round trip for $120) per child. This next year they are going to Orlando once again the fare is $120 per child from Oregon! So that is one reason I pay $75 ..... The other reason is I just booked round trip Business Class seats on Dutch KLM to Europe for both my husband and myself and did this with Alaska Miles. Was able to get the exact dates I wanted and those tickets cost me a whopping $5 ($5.00).

I love that Alaska Airlines B of A card and have had it for severs, years..... It is worth every penny! JMHO

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I know this is a random question but can someone walk me through the steps of deciding which card would work best? And, so do you have your bills set up to pre pay? I just spent 10 min using a CC to pay my house mortgage. I don't want to spend that much time on the phone for all my bills. :confused: But, we do want the points to travel RCCL!!

I don't know which card is best, I have looked into the Capitol One where you get 1.5 percent back on everything. Right now I have a discover card which gives you 1 percent and 5% on different categories every three months and I think I'll cancel my royal caribbean when I get finished w/ my next trip. I do pay everything w/ my royal card., just call your insurance company, your electric company, church tithing, EVERYTHING that requires a monthly bill and tell them to charge your credit card every month. It's that easy. That way you're not worrying about calling them each month, Hope this makes sense :)

We use our RCI Visa for most purchases. We then use the points for cash off the cost of the cruise and for OBC. I know there are cards out there that pay more but we use the card to build our "Cruise Fund". We like to see the points add up knowing that they will be used toward our next cruise.

In general I agree with you , however, by paying the $90 fee (will be the first time I have done so in 20+ years) I will be getting an additional 0.5% back on all charges for the year. Given my charging pattern that will increase my "cash back" by about $300 for the year.

So in this instance I will be paying the $90 fee to get $300 back, net $200 into my pocket.