Just Back Westerdam 11/29-12/6 Dancing w/ the Stars WOW!!!

Deval

1st time on Holland America . . . had a fantastic time! Rough seas pretty much the whole week (we missed Grand Turk Monday due to strong winds) and I'm still feeling the "motion of the ocean" sitting here now!!

Made up for the miss by getting into San Juan early for a longer day (8am - 8pm). Weather was windy but a great day, took ferry to Bacardi then an old San Juan walking food tour which was fantastic - we were STUFFED by the end of it. Snorkeled in St Maarten which was good but living in FL there's as good if not better here (ok I'm a bit biased).

Half Moon Cay . . . what can I say, it's the most beautiful and pristine of the private islands I've been to (vs. NCL and RCCL). The water is the most exquisite turquoise blue I've ever seen. Bands of clouds and rain sporadically throughout the day but pretty much blew by quickly. I wished we had more time there (last tender to ship 2:30).

We booked last minute and then learned it was a Dancing With the Stars theme cruise. What can I say, I was blown away by what I saw, the professionals onboard were amazing!! When they're referred to as world class now I know why. The stars were around and available to speak with all week - Carson Kressly, Kim Johnson, Sharna Burgess, Artem Chigvintsev, and Sabrina Bryan. It was great to see them relaxing and having fun just like us "regular" folks.

We really wanted to go on the Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterdam but we have Saturday night events today through New Years so the Sunday departures didn't work for us. We were a bit worried hearing the Westerdam was "older" and not in great shape, but I'm here to tell you NO WAY! I definitely agree when the Captain affectionately refers to her as the "beautiful, elegant Westerdam" which she is. Sure, if you look close you'll see some rust spots here and there but the crew is constantly cleaning, painting, and straightening up. I can't understand how anyone can complain about that and how it's affected their cruise.

The food, service, and experience we had was exceptional. We went to disconnect (literally) from work and have a relaxing time and that's exactly what we achieved. I'm sure there will be another Holland cruise for us in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You're welcome all! The 2014 DWTS championship cruise leaves today on the Westerdam. The stars that were on this past week stay on and judge the finale and award the DWTS at Sea mirror ball trophy. My wife was happy to get her hands on it and get a picture with it! LOL

Made up for the miss by getting into San Juan early for a longer day (8am - 8pm). Weather was windy but a great day, took ferry to Bacardi then an old San Juan walking food tour which was fantastic - we were STUFFED by the end of it.

Thanks for this review, will be on this cruise in just a few weeks! Who did you do the food tour with? We are interested in it but have been unable to find anything about it.

Thank you!

MarElz - google flavors of San Juan food tours

Darn, unfortunately we'll be in San Juan on 3 Kings day and the food tour is not offered. Oh, well, next time! Thanks for the info!