question on latest smoking policy

tbmrt

They find that things they assumed ashore don't exist at sea... Such as the Cruise Lines Right for Search & Seizure, Restraint & Debarkation etc (aka Section 8 of the Cruise Contract = http://www.celebritycruises.com/media/en_US/pdf/cruise_ticket_contract/Celebrity-Cruise-Ticket-Contract.pdf )

Cheers!

Ok Sloop I'll play along;)…Please point me to the Article/Provision that is defined in Section 8 that pertains to any aspect of this situation as is being discussed. I'm not seeing it.

Rules in this section are not defined and the use of the word 'rules' is not capitalized. That so far I see only this mention of a refence that I can tie into as distantly relevant. I'm perfectly OK to be schooled in this area, as I am not an attorny, but I do know how to read legalese for a long, long time.

Not trying to be a pain, just accepting your friendly challenge...

That's lovely and I agree - great when it works - not so great when your neighbor doesn't respond well. The choice is then to let a boor negatively impact your vacation, or to take some action to regain some comfort and enjoyment of the facilities you paid for. You seem to discount that aspect of the situation.

Regardless, this clearly isn't an issue for you as it is for many of the rest of us. We will simply have to agree to disagree.

If you think that you can't effectively communicate with Guest Relations about an incident that is affecting your personal comfort while on board I am saying I think you can. Others are suggesting you have to be a spy cop to be credible. I say no. You are a valued human being with rights and dignities. That is a given. Its their job to solve the smoking issue, not yours. They have, and you have an enormous staff at your disposal that that you pay for, others pay for, and or have or will already paid for. For all parties benefit.

Discuss this issue with them. Use your voice. Have a discussion.

Edited by MizDemeanor

You have a very vivid imagination. I suggest a nice cruise. :cool:

I am currently on vacation for three weeks in Florida and as I said before I deal in facts and as I also have said at least twice before you are lacking in facts on any violation of privacy, even your definition.

Finally, I hate to blow your privacy rights but all the verandas have cameras pointed at them.

Edited by dkjretired

Ok Sloop I'll play along;)…Please point me to the Article/Provision that is defined in Section 8 that pertains to any aspect of this situation as is being discussed. I'm not seeing it.

Rules in this section are not defined and the use of the word 'rules' is not capitalized. That so far I see only this mention of a refence that I can tie into as distantly relevant. I'm perfectly OK to be schooled in this area, as I am not an attorny, but I do know how to read legalese for a long, long time.

Not trying to be a pain, just accepting your friendly challenge...

Not a challenge.

I get the basics of what you are saying in this topic, championing individual rights... But when it comes to cruising many of those rights are signed away

You are not alone in that not being ok...

Some accept it knowingly as the "cost" of going on a cruise / travelling internationally (like me) others accept it by default not realizing what they have given up (those that have not read their Cruise Contract)

It is very clear. On what your rights are as a Cruise Pax (fewer than ashore) vs those of the Cruise Co

We all ACCEPT these terms & conditions when we make our Booking and again when we make Final Payment, Accept our EDocs, Hand Over our Credit Card and Sign In on EDay

We may not like it... But it is a fact of cruising

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I have ready this thread and tried to stay out of it, but I feel I have a few points I'd like to add.

First, if you've stated your opinion, we've probably read it, no need to continue stating the same, unless you want to be seen as argumentative.

Second someone who as contacting guest relations to deal with balcony smoking, I can say it is hard for them to deal with. They do say things like "We don't have proof, can you call back when it is happening and we'll come back down". Inevitably, they have a hard time figuring out WHICH cabin without or help.

Finally, if you expect privacy on you balcony, you should read and look at the pictures here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1743821

Balconies are outdoor spaces. I just completed a sailing where fishing vessels and even cargo ships were close enough in the middle of the sea we could easily make out faces on the other vessels.

I have had balconies that look right into MANY other balcony cabins clearly. Great examples are S Class Angled humps, M-Class CS, etc. No need to look into someone's room (though you can) to see a balcony.

I have taken MANY amazing sunset and sunrise pics at an angle forward or aft of the ship, that also afforded me clear views of balconies.

Expecting privacy on any outdoor space in close proximity to 3000 other people is probably not going to be seen as "reasonable".

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I am currently on vacation for three weeks in Florida and as I said before I deal in facts and as I also have said at least twice before you are lacking in facts on any violation of privacy, even your definition.

Finally, I hate to blow your privacy rights but all the verandas have cameras pointed at them.

Good for you. Have a blast. I leave for Fundays this weekend and a 32nd Wedding Anniversary.

Verandas do not have cameras pointed at them directly and explicity as you suggest. Cameras sweep sides of ship areas, deck areas, and etc areas in an effort to pick up and record activity as needed to fulfill its obligations.

The cameras can pan and zoom in with personnel who are concerned about specific activities, but they are not on cruise ships to do anything other than account for the cruiselines own efforts to accomdate passenger life and safety issues.

Which differs from smoking and individual health issues as one poster her has expressed a concern for.

Cameras are not pointed at each and every cabin veranda 24/7 to catch smokers or sex offenders. If you think so then I don't know what to say other then you might be creating a scenario of misinformation about this cruiselines security operations and are spreading misinformation to others with an overall hysterical and uninformed approach.

I hope this is not the case though.

Edited by MizDemeanor

I certainly do not condone smoking on balconies.

However, I do think it becomes a safety issue if neighbors are contorting their bodies around the divider to get shots of evidence of smoking. Privacy issues notwithstanding one should not endanger one's self to get a photo aside and around a railing.

I am glad the OP is okay, however.

I don't see much in that photo. Maybe I need to see it on a bigger screen.

But I can see enough of an overall perspective to be certain with my own set of values that I perceive the photo to be an invasion of privacy in some level. I would not do this but I understand that we all make our own rules.

Again, a discussion with guest relations would probably have sufficed with a taking point being the stewards were made aware and perhaps the guests had been non responsive so far. Its simply escalating an issue to a higher level as a next step.

FYI - my last Celebrity cruise (prior to Xpedition) I had the unfortunate experience of a rude PAX smoking on an adjacent balcony. When I promptly reported it to guest relations they asked if I had a photograph of the offender in action. They indicated without a photograph all they could do is inform the party of the smoking rules but if I were to secure a photograph of the infraction they could invoke more stringent action.

When I had smokers next to us - I didn't bother the room steward - that isn't his job and why put him/her at odds with his other guests when their tips are on the line. If you get a smoker next to you immediately call security. I didn't bother with the front desk. I had no proof and 5 minutes later I could hear them knocking on my neighbors door with a discussion that followed.

The smoking did not stop and that is when I yellow high lighted the blurb from the daily about the smoking fine. I cut it out and taped it to their cabin door - they didn't smoke on the balcony again.

Had they asked me for proof - I'd of felt completely justified in taking a photo of their balcony.

Good for you. Have a blast. I leave for Fundays this weekend and a 32nd Wedding Anniversary.

Verandas do not have cameras pointed at them directly and explicity as you suggest. Cameras sweep sides of ship areas, deck areas, and etc areas in an effort to pick up and record activity as needed to fulfill its obligations.

The cameras can pan and zoom in with personnel who are concerned about specific activities, but they are not on cruise ships to do anything other than account for the cruiselines own efforts to accomdate passenger life and safety issues.

Which differs from smoking and individual health issues as one poster her has expressed a concern for.

Cameras are not pointed at each and every cabin veranda 24/7 to catch smokers or sex offenders. If you think so then I don't know what to say other then you might be creating a scenario of misinformation about this cruiselines security operations and are spreading misinformation to others with an overall hysterical and uninformed approach.

I hope this is not the case though.

I can only tell you that I had a friend\co-worker for almost 30years who I have literally trusted with my life who went to work on a cruiseline after he and I retired. You would be surprised what is available.

Edited by dkjretired

Regarding this turkey who smoked on the balcony, it meant that the folks on either side of him (especially in the adding partition cabins) were not able to keep their cabin door open during it. Should those of us lose this benefit of a balcony for the duration of our cruises?

Isn't it also a rule that you aren't suppose to leave your balcony door open so it doesn't mess up the air conditioning in your room AND neighbors rooms? In addition, if some idiot were to throw a cigarette butt overboard it could blow into you room if the balcony door is left open. How would you like it if someone photographed or even video recorded you keeping your balcony door open and turned you in to the front desk?

Edited by Drico

Verandas do not have cameras pointed at them directly and explicitly as you suggest. Cameras sweep sides of ship areas, deck areas, and etc areas in an effort to pick up and record activity as needed to fulfill its obligations.

I can only tell you that I had a friend\co-worker for almost 30years who I have literally trusted with my life who went to work on a cruiseline after he and I retired. You would be surprised what is available.

As someone who works with cameras, sets them up and maintains them you would be AMAZED (and not in a good sort of way) what they capture. Even when someone is informed that a camera is pointed or could be pointed in their general direction it takes about 10-15 minutes and than info goes away. Employees told that a camera is directed at a specific place, IE the cash register, seem to forget (or are very dumb) and do stupid things like steal. Anyone who seems to think an area that is open is not being monitored nowadays is just sticking their head in the sand. Your cabin and public restrooms (for now) on a ship are about the only private areas left... and yes the balcony is part of your cabin but is OPEN:eek:. Your entrance into the "balcony club" might be recorded for later viewing.

... Your cabin and public restrooms (for now) on a ship are about the only private areas left... and yes the balcony is part of your cabin but is OPEN:eek:. Your entrance into the "balcony club" might be recorded for later viewing.

Shhhhh! Good think Mrs. Crazy doesn't read Cruise Critic much!

As someone who works with cameras, sets them up and maintains them you would be AMAZED (and not in a good sort of way) what they capture. Even when someone is informed that a camera is pointed or could be pointed in their general direction it takes about 10-15 minutes and than info goes away. Employees told that a camera is directed at a specific place, IE the cash register, seem to forget (or are very dumb) and do stupid things like steal. Anyone who seems to think an area that is open is not being monitored nowadays is just sticking their head in the sand. Your cabin and public restrooms (for now) on a ship are about the only private areas left... and yes the balcony is part of your cabin but is OPEN:eek:. Your entrance into the "balcony club" might be recorded for later viewing.

LOL!!! This is a club we will never join. I don't expect any privacy on our balcony, and we had a RS with a hot tub on our last cruise. :D

One of the reasons we stopped cruising with RCCL was their old smoking policy. I'm an early riser and on our last cruise I had a chain smoker two balconies from ours smoking all the time. We are going back to Royal for NYE and hope I can enjoy reading in the morning without anyone bothering me. :)

Isn't it also a rule that you aren't suppose to leave your balcony door open so it doesn't mess up the air conditioning in your room AND neighbors rooms? In addition, if some idiot were to throw a cigarette butt overboard it could blow into you room if the balcony door is left open. How would you like it if someone photographed or even video recorded you keeping your balcony door open and turned you in to the front desk?

If anyone could find that rule i'd be thankful because I can't, how would it be my fault if someone threw a fag overboard and it was blown it to my room :confused:

This thread should be declared officially silly and locked.

If anyone could find that rule i'd be thankful because I can't, how would it be my fault if someone threw a fag overboard and it was blown it to my room :confused:

It's not a rule, when you get to your room, somewhere there is a document requesting you keep the door closed. I'm at a resort in Florida right now and when you open the veranda door it turns off the heat and AC.

Why? Because you disagree with it? If moderators locked threads that folks disagreed with and felt were silly on these boards, there would not be much for us to read!!:D

It's not a rule, when you get to your room, somewhere there is a document requesting you keep the door closed. I'm at a resort in Florida right now and when you open the veranda door it turns off the heat and AC.

From what I remember, the note said only to ensure your balcony door was closed when you leave your cabin. We use our balcony a lot and I would never close the balcony door behind me - might get locked out lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If anyone could find that rule i'd be thankful because I can't

http://www.jimzim.net/Photos/CarnivalMagic-DoorStop.jpg

Carnival sign

Straight from Cruise Critic

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4370

It seems to be a suggestion... many take bungee cords to keep the door OPEN while on the balcony or use something to make sure the door does not slam shut and leave you locked out.

Many years ago we went to sleep with the door ajar, I think I had put a trash can in the door, and woke up to damp, wet bedding, insects flying around and the sounds of a busy dock outside. Haven't done it since.

Edited by bobsfamily

Cut & Paste from a topic on Open Balcony Doors earlier this year, I wrote:

== snip ==

FACT IS...

On the Reflection they most definitely ASK / SUGGEST that Pax keep their balcony doors closed...

Reflection Dailies "Celebrity Today" from a Mediterannean Cruise (Summer 2014)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ernMed2014.pdf

Daily - Friday ~ June 27th (Day One in Istanbul)

Pg 2 (20/48 in the PDF File)

Onboard Energy & Water Conservation

... And refrain from leaving the balcony door open. [/Quote]

And from

Daily - Sunday ~ June 29th (Kusadasi)

Pg 2 (28/48 in the PDF File)

Balcony Doors

Keeping your balcony doors closed helps maintain humidity levels and keeps bugs and insects from entering your stateroom.

And also on that page... The repeated paragraph on

Onboard Energy & Water Conservation

[/Quote]

So ya... Leaving your balcony door open is discouraged

That said there are certainly many that do either when they are outside on the balcony, and/or inside

The newer S-Class Ships have a door handle system (as described above by another poster) that means the door can be locked into position along the sliding door track

Other Cruisers improvise using a bungee cord to keep doors open

I'd be lieing if I let on I have not myself been guilty of leaving the door open at times... Although I would never be one to do it for an extended period of time like overnight (have heard of folks who like to fall asleep hearing the suf / waves)

And I always have the balcony door closed if we are leaving the cabin.

I can also attest from our experiences on The Summit, that if the balcony door is open, and the main cabin door opens, it creates a wicked vortex... With high winds and ultimately the cabin door slamming shut with a HUGE bang.

== end ==

Photo - Celebrity Balcony Door (c/o CC Member MRJULIUS) = http://s66.photobucket.com/user/juliussrt8/media/bungee.jpg.html

Notice the second sign, under Watch Your Step... Statement on keeping the door closed as to conserve energy

So NOT A RULE... It is recurring Celebrity Request / Suggestion.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

LOL - you really just don't understand. Who said anyone was "peering over and around to see the entire balcony"?

A glance up or down, while standing or leaning on, and looking over from your OWN balcony railing will be plenty to see a table or chair with an ashtray on it.

No need to "peer over and around".

(And I doubt that anyone really wants to "peer into your stateroom" anyway.)

Anyone who says they don't "glance" at other balconies while they are leaning on the rail looking out at the ocean is simply lying. You can't help but see at least a little way into the other balconies on either side.

I'm about done with this topic. It really is silly. No one was a peeping tom.

You are, IMHO, just being oppositional. All Mike is saying is to keep your head on your side of the partician. That is just basic courtesy.

Yes standing by the rail you can see some of your neighbors balcony, however, you can't see in the cabin unless you stick your head around the partician. There is no reason to do so unless you are invited!

You are, IMHO, just being oppositional. All Mike is saying is to keep your head on your side of the partician. That is just basic courtesy.

Yes standing by the rail you can see some of your neighbors balcony, however, you can't see in the cabin unless you stick your head around the partician. There is no reason to do so unless you are invited!

LOL - No one said that anyone saw "in the cabin" or were even trying to see in anyones cabin.

As you plainly stated, you can see some of your neighbors balcony by just standing on the railing.

That's all they needed to see - the table on the balcony with the "ashtray".

Seriously - these inconsiderate folks smoking on their balcony were infringing on the rights of everyone else by smoking where they were not allowed to be smoking.

Enough already.