Oasis Eastern Review - Nov 29 - Dec 6, 2014

Here is how we did the sailor's cup...

When we got started I realized that there was not an assortment of color balls, no scorecards, and no pencils. Never fear, I thrive on a challenge. I announced that everyone plays through each hole...no waiting for the next person to make their first put...just continue hitting your ball until it goes into the hole and move on. That dealt with everyone having the same color balls. As for the lack of scorecards, I told everyone that we were on the honor system and to remember their score. What I would have done differently is told everyone how to do the scoring. Half of us were counting strokes and the other half were scoring off of par (one over, birdie, par). It all worked out since I went back and figured out how many strokes equaled par. I did bring along a prize for the winner and had a 2nd prize just in case there was a tie. Since the area of the country I am from makes handmade corn brooms, I brought two mini brooms...because the winner swept the competition. :D

Lisa

Edited by RedHeadTexan

Wow, thanks for such a great review and the details! We're on the Oasis Feb 21 next month for my husband's birthday on the 22nd. I may reserve dinner at the Solarium Bistro on that night, after reading your reviews. I hope you don't mind that I took notes on everything....especially the Horticulturist Tour....didn't even know about that. Since we've been to our ports of call many times, we may just stay on the ship and explore! It is sad that you couldn't get anyone to wait on you in St Thomas at the top of the Sky ride.....we had a wonderful lunch there last year. Must have been an 'off' day' for the staff. Thanks again for the reviews....made me feel like I was walking right next to you the whole time.

Here is how we did the sailor's cup...

When we got started I realized that there was not an assortment of color balls, no scorecards, and no pencils. Never fear, I thrive on a challenge. I announced that everyone plays through each hole...no waiting for the next person to make their first put...just continue hitting your ball until it goes into the hole and move on. That dealt with everyone having the same color balls. As for the lack of scorecards, I told everyone that we were on the honor system and to remember their score. What I would have done differently is told everyone how to do the scoring. Half of us were counting strokes and the other half were scoring off of par (one over, birdie, par). It all worked out since I went back and figured out how many strokes equaled par. I did bring along a prize for the winner and had a 2nd prize just in case there was a tie. Since the area of the country I am from makes handmade corn brooms, I brought two mini brooms...because the winner swept the competition. :D

Lisa

Oh wow, talk about having to scramble! I assumed there would be score cards and pencils available, so I'll make sure we've got something planned to track scores! I like that you called the event the Sailor's Cup, maybe I'll do a Royal Caribbean cup from the gift shop as the prize :-) And good idea to bring two prizes in case of a tie...

Thanks for your help!!

Oh wow, talk about having to scramble! I assumed there would be score cards and pencils available, so I'll make sure we've got something planned to track scores! I like that you called the event the Sailor's Cup, maybe I'll do a Royal Caribbean cup from the gift shop as the prize :-) And good idea to bring two prizes in case of a tie...

Thanks for your help!!

I won that first prize in the sailor's cup. I have my broom sitting on my desk.:D

if my wife wants sushi and i want hibachi can that be done at izumi at the same table?

do you happen to have the cruise compasses?

Hi, I am not sure if you can do both at the hibachi tables. When we went for lunch everyone was on the sushi side. I did not keep the compasses this time.

Lisa

Thanks for your help!!

You are most welcome. If I had known about the lack of scorecards, I would have made some to bring with me. Oh well...by the way, if it's windy it makes the sailor's cup even more fun and levels out the playing field. :D

Lisa

Friday

Ah, our last full day on the Oasis. Today was a very laid back day. Breakfast at Johnny Rockets again, read our kindles at the beach pool for the rest of the morning, had lunch in the dining room, and then a long 3 hour nap in the cabin. We were just laying down for an hour, but... Well we ended up missing Frozen in Time and Come Fly With Me. Oh well, at least we are well rested for the evening activities and getting up early tomorrow to start the drive back to Tennessee.

DSCF0725_zpse2c0bbf3.jpg

After enjoying our final bottle of wine in the cabin and packing while consuming, we headed up to the Solarium Bistro. We had a very nice and quiet dinner up there once again. The service was wonderful and the food excellent. I loved the veal scaloppini from earlier in the week, so I decided to have it again. To my surprise, Walt decided to give the pork loin another shot and this time it was cooked perfectly.

I really feel that the Solarium Bistro is a hidden gem for dinner. From talking to other cruisers they thought the dinner was the same as the lunch buffet. It's not a buffet...it is a specialty restaurant with wait service and a full menu. The food is healthy cuisine and it is flavorful. We went to 5 different specialty restaurants on the ship and my favorite was the Solarium Bistro. Walt is still a huge Chops fan. I do enjoy Chops, but Solarium beat it out in my mind for quality and price.

After dinner we headed to the Aqua Theater. Tonight's movie was Guardians of the Galaxy. We saw it when it came out, but loved it so much we decided to see it again. We bumped into Murphy and Lynn, so we sat and watched the movie with them. We ended the evening with the fountain show. It lasts about 30 minutes and is spectacular. What an awesome way to end the week.

DSCF0726_zps21367689.jpg

No swollen ankles on the last evening...first time my ankles did not puff up!

DSCF0719_zpsf8407341.jpg

Tomorrow is self debarkation at 6:30ish...

Lisa

What is the price for the solarium bistro for dinner? I cannot seem to find it anywhere.

So no advance reservations for the Solarium Bistro for dinner? It's not listed as one of the specialty restaurants that we can reserve on line in advance.

We're on the Feb 21 cruise. Your photos are absolutely beautiful.

Thank you! We were able to book online for the Solarium Bistro 6 months before the cruise, so I am not sure why you cannot. Have you called Royal to see if they can make a reservation for you? It would not surprise me if Royal's fantastic (not) IT department has screwed up the code for yet another thing. Being married to a web developer has made me very cynical towards Royal's IT debacles. :eek:

Lisa

So no advance reservations for the Solarium Bistro for dinner? It's not listed as one of the specialty restaurants that we can reserve on line in advance.

We're on the Feb 21 cruise. Your photos are absolutely beautiful.

I am on the same cruise on the 21st and have a reservation at the Solarium for dinner on Day 6. When I go in now though it is no longer listed. Not sure why unless there are no pre cruise spaces available.