Oasis Eastern Review - Nov 29 - Dec 6, 2014

How did you get to do the Central Park Horticulture Tour, was it prebooked or booked on the ship? Was there an additional charge?:D

It was free of charge and is listed in the compass. On our cruise it was at 9:30am on the first and last sea days. You do not book it, just show up at the benches by the Coach store. It was one of the highlights of our cruise and I highly recommend doing the tour.

Lisa

It was free of charge and is listed in the compass. On our cruise it was at 9:30am on the first and last sea days. You do not book it, just show up at the benches by the Coach store. It was one of the highlights of our cruise and I highly recommend doing the tour.

Lisa

Thank You!!!!!! :D

Lisa,

When DW and I were on the Oasis last year we were able to located all 19 Larry Kirkland Small Wonders and all 18 Peter Bahouth Small Wonders (view finders), it did take awhile but was worth the effort.

We made it to the upper twenties and took pictures along the way. I will have to do an exact count sometime.

Lisa

Friday

Ah, our last full day on the Oasis. Today was a very laid back day. Breakfast at Johnny Rockets again, read our kindles at the beach pool for the rest of the morning, had lunch in the dining room, and then a long 3 hour nap in the cabin. We were just laying down for an hour, but... Well we ended up missing Frozen in Time and Come Fly With Me. Oh well, at least we are well rested for the evening activities and getting up early tomorrow to start the drive back to Tennessee.

DSCF0725_zpse2c0bbf3.jpg

After enjoying our final bottle of wine in the cabin and packing while consuming, we headed up to the Solarium Bistro. We had a very nice and quiet dinner up there once again. The service was wonderful and the food excellent. I loved the veal scaloppini from earlier in the week, so I decided to have it again. To my surprise, Walt decided to give the pork loin another shot and this time it was cooked perfectly.

I really feel that the Solarium Bistro is a hidden gem for dinner. From talking to other cruisers they thought the dinner was the same as the lunch buffet. It's not a buffet...it is a specialty restaurant with wait service and a full menu. The food is healthy cuisine and it is flavorful. We went to 5 different specialty restaurants on the ship and my favorite was the Solarium Bistro. Walt is still a huge Chops fan. I do enjoy Chops, but Solarium beat it out in my mind for quality and price.

After dinner we headed to the Aqua Theater. Tonight's movie was Guardians of the Galaxy. We saw it when it came out, but loved it so much we decided to see it again. We bumped into Murphy and Lynn, so we sat and watched the movie with them. We ended the evening with the fountain show. It lasts about 30 minutes and is spectacular. What an awesome way to end the week.

DSCF0726_zps21367689.jpg

No swollen ankles on the last evening...first time my ankles did not puff up!

DSCF0719_zpsf8407341.jpg

Tomorrow is self debarkation at 6:30ish...

Lisa

Saturday

We woke up at 6am and went down to deck 5 at 6:10. We stood in the self debarkation line at Silk for 5 minutes when the ship was cleared. 5 minutes later we scanned our cards and we were in the car by 6:40am. It was a very smooth process.

Overall Impressions (posting in real time now)

The ship was amazing and through the Central Park Tour and All Access Tour we saw and learned so much about the ship. Our cabin, JS 7236, was fantastic and gave us a sanctuary on our balcony when things were nutty on the ship. Walt and I agree that any time you cruise on the Freedom class or above that a balcony is a must.

I really liked all the "secret" spots on the ship where we could get away from everyone when we wanted to. Deck 5 aft was never crowded. We didn't do the parades or parties on the Royal Promenade, so we never got the feeling that the ship was too crowded.

Other than the issue at Chops with the pre-payments, our trip went smoothly. The staff was wonderful to us, especially Wayne our cabin steward and Gregory in the Solarium Bistro. We made new friends that live in the same area as we do and I am looking forward to continuing that friendship when Lynne and Murphy return from the B2B.

Bottom Line: I am glad we did the Oasis. But we have decided going forward to stick with the smaller ships with the better ports of call (IMHO). We are taking 2015 off from cruising...Walt wants to do a land vacation. I know I will go through withdrawal :eek:. Next up we are sailing the Serenade's 10 day itinerary in April 2016. And, the shocker, we are going back to the INSIDE CABIN! The junior suite was a splurge for our anniversary.

Oh, one final thing...this drove me crazy in the American Icon Grille, can you find the mistakes on the map?

DSCF0460_zpsc17862b3.jpg

Lisa

Edited by RedHeadTexan

Great start! We are sailing Allure in January and have the dining room booked for one night and the rest specialty restaurants so I'm looking forward to your take on them, even though they are different ships I still like to know others opinions.

We will be in Fort Lauderdale for 2 days pre-cruise. We are thinking about going to Waxy O Connors one night. What did you think of it? There are so many places to choose from within walking distance of the hotel it's hard to pick what ones we want to try.

I don't think I answered so this...Waxy's is a great place, but small. If the weather cooperates then you can enjoy the patio as well as the interior restaurant. This was our 2nd time having Thanksgiving dinner there.

Lisa

I just wanted to send a quick thank you for posting. I read almost all reviews and I pride myself in finding value in all of them. I won't be on Oasis till 2016 assuming things don't change, but I think your review put me over the top on wanting to do the all access tour. It will be our 35th anniversary and if you are going to pay that kind of money the Oasis class would be the one to do it on.

I just wanted to send a quick thank you for posting. I read almost all reviews and I pride myself in finding value in all of them. I won't be on Oasis till 2016 assuming things don't change, but I think your review put me over the top on wanting to do the all access tour. It will be our 35th anniversary and if you are going to pay that kind of money the Oasis class would be the one to do it on.

Thank you!

I agree. At $150 each, the Oasis is the only ship I would pay to do the all access tour on. Walt is still talking about how great the tour was. I think I hit a home run with that birthday gift. :D

Lisa

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Oh, one final thing...this drove me crazy in the American Icon Grille, can you find the mistakes on the map?

Ok, I'll bite...

I can't say much for the license plates (that I am unfamiliar with) on the eastern side of the country, but the Oregon plate indicating the area west of Puget Sound is most definitely Washington, not Oregon!

Thank you for your review!

Ok, I'll bite...

I can't say much for the license plates (that I am unfamiliar with) on the eastern side of the country, but the Oregon plate indicating the area west of Puget Sound is most definitely Washington, not Oregon!

Thank you for your review!

That is the first one I noticed. :)

Lisa

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Great review Lisa...It is hard to believe it was less than a week ago when we were at sea. I really wish we would have done the Central Park Tour. That was one of four things I did not do which I wanted to do. The others were the zip line the rock wall and Ice skating. The Park tour was at the top of the list. I am kicking myself.

I am starting to upload some of my videos to YouTube. Here is the Nassau pilot boat picking up the pilot. Cabin 7236 has an awesome view of this at every port. I took this with my Afuenta Action Camera on the monopod (go pro Chinese knockoff at 1/4 of the price).

Lisa

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the great review Lisa, I loved your pictures!

I have to admit that I stole your idea for a mini-golf tournament and suggested it on my own roll call for Feb. 7…mostly because I'm sailing solo and I wanted someone to play golf with :-)

We have about 21 people signed up for the golf tournament and I wanted to check with you and see if you have any advice on how to organize it or anything you would do differently if you did it again. Anything you can suggest would be great!! Thanks!!! (and sorry to hijack your thread)