Stateroom Attendant Tips: can they be given at time of service?

cruising_Bif

I'm wondering, are you able to tip your stateroom attendant for specific acts, or must you wait until the end of the cruise? The specific scenario I'm wondering about is asking the attendant to open up the balcony dividers between the 5 rooms occupied by our group members. It seems this might be a highly physical, daunting task and would love to slip him/her a $20 if appropriate. :)

for something extra outside the scope of their normal duties, yes it is fine to offer something then. be advised that he may not be allowed to open the dividers( the Captain has final say) or he may not be able to do so the moment you ask.

Great Question... I truly understand your concern over appropriateness.

Tipping is totally acceptable on Celebrity. A tip is for a service rendered, given AFTER the task / request has been met

Offering money upfront, unless to cover a cost that the person may incur to perform the task, is generally considered to be a BRIBE (here is some money... Now you will do this for me)

Versus money given as a Thank You after the fact

Mr Sloop & I TIP both ways on a cruise (immediately as well as at the end of our cruise)... Just depends on the situation.

We give tips for extraordinary service / tasks that may require a greater effort or attention to detail. Mixing a perfect Cocktail - Receiving Room Service - a Bartender making arrangements for a Inhouse Transfer of our Favourite Bevvy to their Bar - a Sommelier hunting down a Bottle of Wine we want to try etc.

So in your scenario I would say opening 1 Partition not really a big deal, but ya 4 or 5 Dividers... More of an effort. Worthy of a tip... Be it at the time performed or later (even included as an Extra Tip at the end of your cruise... Is up to you)

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I'm a bit confused by this statement. Is every request given to the Captain? or do certain Captains have standing orders for his/her ship not to allow this?

It is sort of like in the world of business. While the president of a company may have the ultimate authority, almost all of the routine decisions are delegated to someone lower on the totem pole.

DON

Since you are on the Silhouette it is not a problem and no one has to ask the Captain, if you were on an M class ship they physically can't be opened. Just ask your stateroom attendant and they will be glad to open it for you. It is also not a difficult thing to do, a little harder than opening a locked door. You may tip anytime you wish. Also, your tips are not paid at the end of the cruise, Celebrity will place them on your account on a daily basis.

Edited by dkjretired

Twice I've asked for dividers to be opened and they were.

I've read here on these boards that a divider has to remain closed if it is to be used as a firebreak. If there is a fire door between cabin #1 and cabin #2 out in the hallway, then the balcony divider between cabin #1 and #2 also has to remain closed. This is my understanding of it.

Edited by Rufferto

Twice I've asked for dividers to be opened and they were.

I've read here on these boards that a divider has to remain closed if it is to be used as a firebreak. If there is a fire door between cabin #1 and cabin #2 out in the hallway, then the balcony divider between cabin #1 and #2 also has to remain closed. This is my understanding of it.

Interesting! I wonder how many firebreaks there are on each floor, and where those dividers are located.

I'm wondering, are you able to tip your stateroom attendant for specific acts, or must you wait until the end of the cruise? The specific scenario I'm wondering about is asking the attendant to open up the balcony dividers between the 5 rooms occupied by our group members. It seems this might be a highly physical, daunting task and would love to slip him/her a $20 if appropriate. :)

Hi Bif,

Prepay your gratuities before you go and only tip onboard for "above and beyond" service. Everyone gets their cut. Not sure this qualifies for above and beyond if your group has already paid their grats.

At cruise end, a little extra to your cabin steward always goes over big.

I hope you have a great time on your cruise!!

HTP

:cool: