Diamond plus changes on Oasis

When diamonds were removed from the CL a ways back this same talk came about. They were either leaving and not coming back or were going to watch the company go into financial ruin!! [yes-I inflated that a bit :p]

In reality, most rushed to climb up the loyalty ladder, booked like crazy and went no where and the company wound up building bigger ships!!

But yes, you are correct. Time will tell............Stay tuned for the next chapter..........

For me, when it's all said and done, I will also miss greatly the CL on Oasis class. It certainly was a huge perk that I took full advantage of. But it wasn't a "make it or break it" item. None of the other ships had a CL that came even close. So, having said that, one of the drawbacks to reducing the perks for me is that it takes a bit away from the incentive to not try other cruise lines. We did an Alaska cruise last May. There was a bit longer one on Princess for about the same price as RCCL. We opted for RCCL because, sure we really love it, but also the D+ perks are hard to ignore. It would have cost us quite a bit more on Princess due to loss of "Happy Hour" which is really when we have most of our drinks. So if that particular benefit degrades, who knows.

But as you point out, it certainly doesn't hurt the bottom line. We complain, threaten to leave, and then either come back or simply continue to cruise, and adjust our thinking. We just did our first Celebrity. We had Elite Status. We enjoyed it ok, but not nearly as much fun for us as RCCL. So we are coming running back.

I will say that a CL that is exclusive to Suite guests and the super high-rolling Pinnacle seems pretty reasonable.

So, I'll miss the breakfast and lunch in the CL on Oasis, but I'll still enjoy happy hour in the Diamond lounge.

Kicking the Diamond members out of the CL didn't hurt the bottom line.

A strict "no smoking" policy didn't hurt the bottom line.

Elimination of the Wine Steward in the MDR didn't hurt the bottom line.

My guess, kicking D+ out of the CL won't hurt the bottom line.

It's an old argument, but D+ will have spent thousands and thousands of dollars with RCCL and filled cabins that would otherwise go empty. By alienating their most loyal cruisers in catering to suite guests, RCCL execs may be making a big, big mistake.

This is where I so agree with you. I have probably spent more $$ on Royal over the years as a D+ that a good % of those people that book suites. Some of them it is their first cruise. I have taken 69 Royal cruises. don't even want to add up the $$ that has generated for Royal. We never do inside, it is always balconies on longer cruises or min OV on a 3 nighter. So yes, lots of money.

Few, if any, D+ will leave RCCL for other companies...

1. To build up points on other lines means starting at the beginning.

2. RCCL still has one of the best loyalty programs in the business.

My comments were SPECIFICALLY in regard to Oasis and the changes there to the concierge lounge.

I agree with this also to a point. However, knowing it will be years, if ever, before we get to Pinnacle, we are now cruising on Celebrity and Princess. I get Elite status on Princess and Elite on Celebrity, so we have no reason not to go on those also. Those are the only other lines we will go on.

Royal still and always will be our first choice, but we now look at the other 2 lines also. Really comes down to the specials and perks that are offered. On celebrity-the bev pkg is a huge draw. So while I agree Royals perks are the best, the other 2 lines have stuff to offer also

This is where I so agree with you. I have probably spent more $$ on Royal over the years as a D+ that a good % of those people that book suites. Some of them it is their first cruise. I have taken 69 Royal cruises. don't even want to add up the $$ that has generated for Royal. We never do inside, it is always balconies on longer cruises or min OV on a 3 nighter. So yes, lots of money.

But how how many years did it take you to rack up 69 cruises? A cruiser that books suite is more attractive to Royal as it is higher revenues now vs over 20+ years. Let's say you spent on average 2500$ for each of your 69 cruises, that equals 172.5k and it took you 20 years to do so. Suite guests on average spend 3-5x+. So if a suite guest cruises 30 (less than half) times over the same 20 years their contribution to revenue is 225k. Who is the more attractive guest at that point?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I agree with this also to a point. However, knowing it will be years, if ever, before we get to Pinnacle, we are now cruising on Celebrity and Princess. I get Elite status on Princess and Elite on Celebrity, so we have no reason not to go on those also. Those are the only other lines we will go on.

Royal still and always will be our first choice, but we now look at the other 2 lines also. Really comes down to the specials and perks that are offered. On celebrity-the bev pkg is a huge draw. So while I agree Royals perks are the best, the other 2 lines have stuff to offer also

We will never reach Pinnacle, but 350 is a goal for 2016. I do think that 350 will be important at some point. We also cruise Celebrity once a year and enjoy the ELITE status. We have Platinum on Carnival, but I doubt if we ever will sail them again. Carnival has a terrible loyalty program and have made too many dramatic cutbacks.

What are the perks for diamonds on Celebrity?

D, D+ and Pinnacle will all be Elite on Celebrity. Similar benefits to RCCL D/D+, some better, some not. While I can't recall all the benefits, a quick look on the Celebrity site will give you an idea of what you get at different levels. (Sorry - I don't know how to link the Celebrity site)

Important to remember - if you go from RCCL to Celebrity (or even the other way around) you have to call the newer cruise line to get signed up for the new program. You can't walk on the Celebrity ship and ask for the benefits.

Enjoy

m

D, D+ and Pinnacle will all be Elite on Celebrity. Similar benefits to RCCL D/D+, some better, some not. While I can't recall all the benefits, a quick look on the Celebrity site will give you an idea of what you get at different levels. (Sorry - I don't know how to link the Celebrity site)

Important to remember - if you go from RCCL to Celebrity (or even the other way around) you have to call the newer cruise line to get signed up for the new program. You can't walk on the Celebrity ship and ask for the benefits.

Enjoy

m

Celebrity also does three nightly drink vouchers. Two of their perks that I really liked were 90 minutes of internet per person and a bag of free laundry per person.

Edited by Cindy

• 2 weeks later...
My guess is that one result of all of this will be fewer bookings from D+ on Oasis. I was willing to pay a premium for the benefit of a great CL with hot meals (and drinks) for breakfast and lunch and a wonderful view of the boardwalk and Aqua Theatre. Once we sail on Oasis in October and see CATS, that will probably be it for us on this ship.

That's how I felt, so we went on the Oasis 12/6/14 and the Allure 12/14/14 sailings. I wanted to experience and compare the Diamond Plus experience on an Oasis class ship before the benefits disappear. The Cats performance was great!

When we boarded the Oasis, the CL was open for lunch serving light snacks, beer and wine from 12-2pm. From 5-8:30pm the CL was open for drinks andhourduerves.

We usually went to Vintages for evening drinks for the atmosphere, great bar staff, and meeting some interesting people to talk to. Most bars were available for drink vouchers except the Martini/Champagne bar.

When we boarded the Allure, the CL was not serving lunch or drinks on the first day, but was open as usual for the evening cocktail hours. On the second day, the CL served continental breakfast as well as cooked to order breakfast. From 12-2pm, light snacks, beer and wine, and cooked to order lunch was served.

We usually went to Vintages and the Martini/Champagne bar for evening drinks. And yes, unlike the Oasis, the Martini bar on the Allure accepted the drink vouchers. We always added a tip for each drink served on our bill and appreciated the great service we received. Our server LU, took great care of us in the Martini bar.

Edited by slk230red

We have been on RCI for 5 cruises, our 6th. will be in August when we sail the Oasis.

We only have the opportunity to sail once a year due to job and school commitments (DD still wants to vacation with us).

So being a party of 3 we have always booked and enjoy the suites.

Especially so on the Allure, the Crown Lofts are perfect for us.

We get the benefit upto now of the Concierge lounge; but when we sail the Oasis, it will be the new Suite lounge.

We knowingly book and pay for our cabin, and enjoy the benefits of the perks, but recognize how unfair it is to take something enjoyed by others away, like the lounges for certain levels..

So:

I do not feel it is fair or just to take away yet another perk for those who are and continue to be loyal to RCI. and have earned any status.

Yes the lounges can get crowded, and it was a nice token for the drinks on sea pass card, but sometimes it is nice to enjoy a nice quiet area.

But, remember when Barefoot beach, was not a suite beach and all could enjoy.

or

I have heard about "diamonds in December" cruise point perks. Havent seen it around lately.

So I can only imagine what would be next to be taken away.

I will probably stay with RCI and hope one day to hit D+, but I know I will never see Pinacle.

Thanks for listening.

Sea Ya

We have been on RCI for 5 cruises, our 6th. will be in August when we sail the Oasis.

We only have the opportunity to sail once a year due to job and school commitments (DD still wants to vacation with us).

So being a party of 3 we have always booked and enjoy the suites.

Especially so on the Allure, the Crown Lofts are perfect for us.

We get the benefit upto now of the Concierge lounge; but when we sail the Oasis, it will be the new Suite lounge.

We knowingly book and pay for our cabin, and enjoy the benefits of the perks, but recognize how unfair it is to take something enjoyed by others away, like the lounges for certain levels..

So:

I do not feel it is fair or just to take away yet another perk for those who are and continue to be loyal to RCI. and have earned any status.

Yes the lounges can get crowded, and it was a nice token for the drinks on sea pass card, but sometimes it is nice to enjoy a nice quiet area.

But, remember when Barefoot beach, was not a suite beach and all could enjoy.

or

I have heard about "diamonds in December" cruise point perks. Havent seen it around lately.

So I can only imagine what would be next to be taken away.

I will probably stay with RCI and hope one day to hit D+, but I know I will never see Pinacle.

Thanks for listening.

Sea Ya

I used to love barefoot beach. Great for snorkeling up against the rocks lots of small fish especially if you took out a cracker with you and crushed it up in your hand a little. I have been to the island many times since they did that and now hardly get off the ship. all the other beaches are to open and crowded and hardly any shade. Now I stay on the ship and enjoy the ghost town almost empty pools and no lines in the windjammer.

But how how many years did it take you to rack up 69 cruises? A cruiser that books suite is more attractive to Royal as it is higher revenues now vs over 20+ years. Let's say you spent on average 2500$ for each of your 69 cruises, that equals 172.5k and it took you 20 years to do so. Suite guests on average spend 3-5x+. So if a suite guest cruises 30 (less than half) times over the same 20 years their contribution to revenue is 225k. Who is the more attractive guest at that point?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This.

Some crown lofts can go for 10k+ per sailing. Most aren't spending that on 10 cruises. Especially with so many trying to jump on cheap cruises just for the points. Rccl knows this and adjusts.

This.

Some crown lofts can go for 10k+ per sailing. Most aren't spending that on 10 cruises. Especially with so many trying to jump on cheap cruises just for the points. Rccl knows this and adjusts.

I don't think you can apply that statement broadly. I'm only platinum and spent more than that. That's just six 7nt cruises with Royal. We travel in the summer, rates are higher sometimes. I don't know if those that spend $10,000 plus are doing that repeatedly. Loyal cruisers keep coming back and bringing others with them. 6000 x $500pp is 3,000,000 a week and that's a real low pp rate. I don't think the 30 or 40 suites bring in that kind of money. C & A members are the bread & butter. Suites pay the bonuses. :) No offense intended to any that enjoy the suite life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

I don't care to pull out my calculator so I will not wade into any of these "who paid more" arguments, but I will say this: I'm a D, relatively close (a few cruises away) to D+, and I've lost a great deal of my excitement to push for D+. We always stay in standard balcony cabins, so we're not paying for top dollar suites but we're also not just paying for insides. It seems at this point that the D+ level will be degraded by the time I get there (if nothing else, no CL access), and I don't think I'll really be gaining a whole lot by moving up. It's all good though... The D benefits are very good, we'll cruise RCI when it's the best opinion for us, and we'll spend some more time on NCL (where you move up in their objectively inferior loyalty program very quickly), which we enjoyed trying last month.

I'm not going to get stressed out about all this. If I'm going to worry about anything, it's stuff like increased nickel-and-diming, tech issues, and whether the new entertainment programming is consistent with my interests. Those considerations are far more likely to govern whether I continue sailing on RCI for years to come than whether I'll be able to use the CL, in addition to the DL, when I attain D+ status.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Yes new Diamond lounge is on deck 4 to the left of the dining room

New Suites lounge for gold card and Pinnacles is on Deck 17 the former Viking Crown lounge

Existing CL on deck 11/12 will be Wonderland. I cannot confirm if they are still using it as a CL for Diamond Plus presently but our waiter on Quantum from Wonderland is heading to OASIS to help open that dining venue. I believe Dynamic Dining of which Wonderland is part will begin on Oasis March 14.

from what we hear, this concept will eventually be fleet wide. newly added suite lounges will be for gold seapass card holders only. the concierge lounges will be turned into money producing venues and dia+ will be put with the dia. members in all those newly designed dia. lounges. I saw this coming a year or so back and everyone thought i was blowing smoke. WELL-WELL-WELL

from what we hear, this concept will eventually be fleet wide. newly added suite lounges will be for gold seapass card holders only. the concierge lounges will be turned into money producing venues and dia+ will be put with the dia. members in all those newly designed dia. lounges. I saw this coming a year or so back and everyone thought i was blowing smoke. WELL-WELL-WELL

Well, for us if diamond plus has no concierge lounge, we are going back to Celebrity. They also have no plus features for elite plus, but we love the ships. We have been sailing RCL because of the concierge lounge, and yes, it's stupid, but loved that perk. We have met lots of fun people who we have been sailing with for years. RCL-------that concierge lounge is a perk that has been giving you lots of repeat customers because we meet new friends there that we sail with them (and actually plan cruises together) in the future. Don't mess with the best free merchandising tool you have!!!

Barb

What is the main difference between the CL and the DL?

I didnt see much on the Oasis last week

I know the CL on the Oasis had a broke coffee machine.

The DL had a new machine.

The only major difference WAS on Oasis and Allure, where you could get a cooked to order breakfast and lunch in the CL, but not the DL. Also some free mid-day alcoholic beverages I understand. Not the case on the rest or the fleet. As you observed, that perk went away on Oasis post-dry dock with the opening of the suite lounge and Coastal Kitchen.

They also have 2 CL concierges to only 1 Diamond concierge on board Oasis/Allure/Quantum, but I'm not sure how much of an extra benefit that really is. I've never had an issue getting the assistance of the Diamond concierge when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by Dave85

I'm thinking that some people are puzzled by all of this, ONLY, if the following scenario occurs. The problem is...none of us know the exact scenario, and, that is:

If a loyal RCCL cruising couple has cruised for example 69 times, as someone else pointed out, and, has paid $1,500 per cruise, but a cruising couple who cruises say, 30 times, in a GS, and pays on average $5,000 a cruise, who does RCCL want, and, who has spent more?

I always felt if someone cruised a lot in a suite and got the higher CL perks versus a D or D+ who has cruised the same number of times, was justified. HOWEVER, where it gets sticky is when A COUPLE WHO IS D OR D+, AND, HAS SPENT A TON OF MONEY, GETS BOOTED FROM THE TOP CL LOUNGE, AND, A SUITE GUEST, WHO MAY ONLY CRUISE ONCE OR TWICE EVER, AS A CRUISE OF A LIFETIME, GETS THE HIGHER PERK.

In that instance, I think it could be unfair. But again, no one knows if the people booking a suite will cruise again or not.

Not saying I'm right on this, just my thoughts.

So should the CL be open on Allure to D+ on the April 19 2015 transatlantic before it goes out to dry dock? Hoping so as will have just reached that level and sounds like it will be my only chance .

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

So should the CL be open on Allure to D+ on the April 19 2015 transatlantic before it goes out to dry dock? Hoping so as will have just reached that level and sounds like it will be my only chance .

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

We are also on this TA.

It was open on our Oasis Sept TA but the meals were served-breakfast/lunch-- for D+ and PC and Suites in Chops.

No meals were served in the CL as before. It was open though. On our Oasis TA in Oct. the CL was closed. Meals were again served in Chops.

CL opened on our departure day until they start on Wonderland.

I don't think you can apply that statement broadly. I'm only platinum and spent more than that. That's just six 7nt cruises with Royal. We travel in the summer, rates are higher sometimes. I don't know if those that spend $10,000 plus are doing that repeatedly. Loyal cruisers keep coming back and bringing others with them. 6000 x $500pp is 3,000,000 a week and that's a real low pp rate. I don't think the 30 or 40 suites bring in that kind of money. C & A members are the bread & butter. Suites pay the bonuses. :) No offense intended to any that enjoy the suite life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Most people I've met and many posters who are on these boards who book crown lofts seem to so that often and on each cruise aboard oasis and allure. So I would say those passengers are their bread and butter. Which is why they are changing so many policies for suite and above.

Secondly take a look at quantums top tier suites. They are above oasis and allure. They designed those based off the information obtained with oasis and allure that high price rooms do and will sell. And often

This.

How do you know that? The chairman of the holding company of RCI, Richard Fain, is on record stating that over half of the Pinnacle Club members regularly book full suites, and I would not be surprised to learn that many of the higher level D+ do, too. We PCs were rewarded with the gold cards as a result of that finding (and some nagging, lol), and I would be really surprised if people stopped booking suites to save money after getting the gold cards.

I'm thinking that some people are puzzled by all of this, ONLY, if the following scenario occurs. The problem is...none of us know the exact scenario, and, that is:

If a loyal RCCL cruising couple has cruised for example 69 times, as someone else pointed out, and, has paid $1,500 per cruise, but a cruising couple who cruises say, 30 times, in a GS, and pays on average $5,000 a cruise, who does RCCL want, and, who has spent more?

I always felt if someone cruised a lot in a suite and got the higher CL perks versus a D or D+ who has cruised the same number of times, was justified. HOWEVER, where it gets sticky is when A COUPLE WHO IS D OR D+, AND, HAS SPENT A TON OF MONEY, GETS BOOTED FROM THE TOP CL LOUNGE, AND, A SUITE GUEST, WHO MAY ONLY CRUISE ONCE OR TWICE EVER, AS A CRUISE OF A LIFETIME, GETS THE HIGHER PERK.

In that instance, I think it could be unfair. But again, no one knows if the people booking a suite will cruise again or not.

Not saying I'm right on this, just my thoughts.

This is where I think the airline analogy works best. If I pay for a first class ticket, I expect a level of service above what the economy passengers get, even if those passengers have flown millions of miles - they get some perks, but they don't get to be in the front of the plane with a meal served for free and all the drinks they care to consume. If anybody at any C&A level wants to be assured of getting the best perks onboard, then they need to book a full suite. Anything else is going to be a crapshoot.