Pinnacle Grill Menu Changes

ithaca gal

Tip is not included in the up charge to dine in Pinnacle but as RuthC says, Pinnacle stewards do get some share of the HSC but who knows what share goes to them?

We have always chosen to tip in Pinnacle but there is no requirement to do so.

Veendam's Pinnacle is laid out very different than Westerdam's. I like the design of the "S" class Pinnacles. :)

Not certain how true this is, but we were once told by a hotel director that the Pinnacle staff get pennies from the Hotel Service Charge since the cabin stewards and dining room waiters get the biggest portion and what is left is divided among the kitchen staff, laundry room workers, and many others who work behind the scenes.

We always leave a tip for the Pinnacle staff and the Tamarind staff (on the Eurodam & Nieuw Amsterdam.

This time in the Pinnacle we were never presented with a check to sign (it made it a little awkward because we were waiting for a check when we finished). Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I thought in the past we got a check and could add a tip. We did get a check in the Tamarind, but no space to add tip. We just went back later with envelopes and cash, but it would be nice if you could just add it to your tab.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by djhsolara

This time in the Pinnacle we were never presented with a check to sign (it made it a little awkward because we were waiting for a check when we finished). Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I thought in the past we got a check and could add a tip. We did get a check in the Tamarind, but no space to add tip. We just went back later with envelopes and cash, but it would be nice if you could just add it to your tab.

You've never been able to add a tip to the check.

But didn't you get a check to sign off on in the past?

Yes, for sure you did. You just couldn't add a tip to it. Truth be told, I wish they still gave you that check. One time I got charged for 2 Canaletto dinners. The next day was disembarkation so it was a surprise. It got resolved luckily.

We have just left cash tips in the Pinnacle.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Forums mobile app

Yup, same with me. One time I went to the tamarind for lunch. I was mortified to find I didn't have my wallet with me. I told them I'd forgotten something in my room and I told them I'd be right back. I think they thought I was nuts.

I wish there was line on the bill to leave an extra tip! When we cruise, hubby and I consider it "cashless" and like everything on the bill At the end. We eat the specialty restaurants every night and enjoy the service, quieter atmosphere and freshly prepared food.

We have had a three waiters who were real clunkers in PG over the years, but assistants who were great. Overall, I really think the crew there deserves an extra tip.

It is a shame that HAL doesn't recognize that the "no bill" at the end, which has happened about half of the time with us, and no spot to add a bit extra, isn't fair to the hardworking crew. I know there is no provision for the extra tip, but folks who don't go there often won't have any cash with them.

Heading on the NA tomorrow on the LRBC! I can't wait to have my fave soup in the Tamarind

Edited by sun~

I know there is no provision for the extra tip, but folks who don't go there often won't have any cash with them.

Many times I have forgotten to take some cash with me when I went to the Pinnacle, so I have excused myself "to go to the restroom", and returned to my cabin to get it.

Other times I have just brought it and given it to the Maître d' the next day.

Now, I have taken to packing a few bills in my evening purse before I even leave home. That way, even when I "forget", I still have some tipping money with me.

There was a time when we used to get a bill to sign in the Pinnacle, but that has disappeared the last couple of years.

We do get bills in the Tamarind.

There was a never an extra line on the specialty dinner bills where you could add on an extra tip. I wouldn't like that idea anyway. There is no telling if the person you intended to have the extra tip would get it. If they did do that, the extra tips might be split among all the workers.

I always carry some extra bills in my purse since we have been eating more in the Pinnacle (and Tamarind) than in the dining room.

Many times I have forgotten to take some cash with me when I went to the Pinnacle, so I have excused myself "to go to the restroom", and returned to my cabin to get it.

Other times I have just brought it and given it to the Maître d' the next day.

Now, I have taken to packing a few bills in my evening purse before I even leave home. That way, even when I "forget", I still have some tipping money with me.

Good idea. Now that I don't have DH to handle the handshake and tip he enjoyed, I'll borrow this idea from you Ruth so that I'm sure to have some cash with me. I always counted on him to have tip money with us. :)

Alas they also removed our favorite lamb skewers…but to think of them removing the creme brûlée is dreadful! My husband might not want to sail on HAL anymore!

We, too, have found it not worth it to have dinner there, but lunch is lovely. Delicious and quiet…and just the right amount of food so we can have a light dinner.

DH tried the lemon brulee on our November cruise -- it was terrible. Extremely bitter. And the blueberry whipped cream wasn't good either. The blueberries were completely dried out.

Also gone is the chocolate soufflé. The vanilla one has fruit on the bottom which doesn't allow for it to rise properly.

KK I see you are following Keith's World Cruise reports. have you considered trying Crystal?

I noticed that you are often disappointed with the cuisine and other things. Many years Crystal Serenity sails out of Miami in November or December or January to the Caribbean 😀

I appreciate hearing about the negatives as well as the positives, as I am sure most people do when researching. I guess it's only when the negatives outweigh the other side that its time to rethink your cruise line.

I noticed that you are often disappointed with the cuisine and other things. Many years Crystal Serenity sails out of Miami in November or December or January to the Caribbean

Strange as I rarely talk about the cruises we have been on. Do mention the changes but also mention how other cruise lines are cutting back.