From suite to a "regular"cabin

New2cruise1483

I'm wondering what it's like to go from cruising in suites, then " downgrading" to standard balcony cabins. I Would love to go on one of the Southern itineraries out of San Juan, but I don't know if I will be able to afford the haven. I LOVE the VIP treatment, and the luxrious cabins. Also, as wierd as it sounds, I would feel like I was missing out in something by not having Haven access, no breakfast at Cagney's, etc. So I'm asking people who have cruised in both types of cabins what their experience was after cruising in duties, to go with a standard balcony cabin. I guess my biggest problem is having Dom Perignon taste in a Keystone Light budget lol

I'm wondering what it's like to go from cruising in suites, then " downgrading" to standard balcony cabins. I Would love to go on one of the Southern itineraries out of San Juan, but I don't know if I will be able to afford the haven. I LOVE the VIP treatment, and the luxrious cabins. Also, as wierd as it sounds, I would feel like I was missing out in something by not having Haven access, no breakfast at Cagney's, etc. So I'm asking people who have cruised in both types of cabins what their experience was after cruising in duties, to go with a standard balcony cabin. I guess my biggest problem is having Dom Perignon taste in a Keystone Light budget lol

I meant cruising in suites, and duties. Sorry, too much wine on a Friday night lol :D

We sailed in the haven and went back to an aft balcony on our last cruise. We now live in Hawaii so flights to Miami are ridiculously expensive so for our next one (Escape jan 2016) we booked an inside and an aft balcony (for my parents so we can use their balcony). I'm not gonna lie I had buyers remorse so to speak right after booking but keep trying to tell myself we're only sleeping in the cabin. At least I have plenty of time to price flights and possibly upgrade to LOL

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We have cruised in suites/regular cabins pretty much 50-50. It is of course always nice to have the perks but I can't say that non-suite cruises would have been any worse because of that. And TBH, the breakfast/lunch offerings in Cagney's or Haven restaurant can get old after few cruises, so even if we are in a suite, I've noticed that we use also other venues more and more.

But then again, we have never stayed in Haven on Jewel class ships, only on Getaway where all suites are Haven suites, on Jewel class the fwd SE suites are usually our go-to choice because they are usually second cheapest full suites and have a huge balcony that combined with butler bringing snacks/drinks is as good as Haven for us.

Thanks for the replies everybody. I'm having a hard time deciding if I should just wait till the following year whenI can afford a suite, or just bite the bullet and go with a balcony or maybe a mini suite. I've been hoping and hoping that NCL would home port in San Juan, and now that they have, I'm on the fence about booking because I love being spoiled in a suite :rolleyes: :D. Bf would be happy sleeping in the housekeeping closet, I'm just spoiled I guess lol

The last cruise I was on the Spirit in an inside cabin and in April on the Epic in a Haven Suite. I hardly ever thought about or missed it on the Spirit. To be honest I thought it would be harder going back.

As they say, even a bad cruise is still time off from laundry and cooking - not to mention a good one, regardless of the cabin level. :D

We do both tend to be in suites when travelling with friends more space and you spend more time in and around the cabin especially haven.

When in regular cabin focus on using the ship more and the ports.

Make it easier by getting a cabin close to the stairs or amenities you will use.

If going balcony go aft.

On our last jade trip we used the blue lagoon for breakfast the ambiance(quiet) of cagnies but no steak and eggs.

Unless getting very good deals it is a more cruises trade off the suites can eat the budget up quick.

I too will be cruising in a mini-suite come Nov 2015. In the mean time we are cruising in May in a SJ suite, last May we were in a SE suite. So we are down grading. I know we will not be taking advantage of the VIP benifits, will we miss them? I am sure we will. Are we still going to have a blast? You bet 'cha!

I would take a no view inside and be on board, over not being there at all.

I'm really looking into a mini suite. Me space without the outrageous price tag lol. I was just thinking it's pretty ridiculous that a girl that doesn't mind gutting and skinning deer, catching and gutting fish, driving in demolition derbies and working outdoors in all types of weather is so concerned about not having a suite cabin on a cruise lol. O the horrors! :eek::rolleyes::D

On our last cruise we had 4 sea days, and could take advantage of Cagneys for breakfast and lunch, and be around to enjoy the larger cabin. We also booked 1 1/2 years ahead of time, got a great price, and $300 OBC.

But on the 12 day Grand Med cruise, we only had 2 sea days, and realized we would not be around to enjoy those perks. Also, the suites were outrageously expensive.

Since they dropped the $300 OBC for booking a suite 9 months or more out, that takes some of the incentive off booking suites.

So, no, we could go back to booking a balcony without feeling we are missing too much. :cool:

Thanks for the replies everybody. I'm having a hard time deciding if I should just wait till the following year whenI can afford a suite, or just bite the bullet and go with a balcony or maybe a mini suite. I've been hoping and hoping that NCL would home port in San Juan, and now that they have, I'm on the fence about booking because I love being spoiled in a suite :rolleyes: :D. Bf would be happy sleeping in the housekeeping closet, I'm just spoiled I guess lol

I would never give up a cruise just to stay in a suite. Are you really in your cabin that much?!

I think it personal preference... I personally love suites and the perks and it will be hard to go back to a regular cabin.... But if it was a choice between a cruise in a regular cabin this year or waiting until a different year for a suite I would book a regular cabin! I love cruising!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What usually happens with us is we start out booking the best price (however, always at least a balcony-must have the view!). Then time passes and we start looking for ways to upgrade. Be it by price decreases, a little money saved in the budget somewhere, eat out once this week, as opposed to twice, etc. We always seem to end up back in a suite. Could we stay in a balcony and be happy? Sure. But, somehow, we always seem to make it work.

P.S. I really like the way you expressed yourself in your posts. It's very refreshing for someone to totally own their weaknesses. Wanting champagne on a beer budget is most assuredly one of my own weaknesses. While so many tend to sound very whiny, you really made it humorous. Thank you for that.

What usually happens with us is we start out booking the best price (however, always at least a balcony-must have the view!). Then time passes and we start looking for ways to upgrade. Be it by price decreases, a little money saved in the budget somewhere, eat out once this week, as opposed to twice, etc. We always seem to end up back in a suite. Could we stay in a balcony and be happy? Sure. But, somehow, we always seem to make it work.

P.S. I really like the way you expressed yourself in your posts. It's very refreshing for someone to totally own their weaknesses. Wanting champagne on a beer budget is most assuredly one of my own weaknesses. While so many tend to sound very whiny, you really made it humorous. Thank you for that.

Thanks for the advice. I usually do everything I can to make it work to have a suite, 2015 will wipe me out financially with 2 cruises, me paying for both and 3 people on both cruises. For this reason, along with other expenses coming for 2016, I'm still hoping I can afford atleast a balcony lol. I'm just totally in love with the itinerary including Grenada, Roseau etc, so I'm trying to figure out how to make it work. Also, thank you for the kind words, I was afraid of soundy snooty, being in love with the suite perks and all :D

:eek: I have NEVER had that feeling at all! :D

Neither did I. When the cruise is over, I feel sad....I am usually in the last group to leave the ship, since we never book early trains or flights.

But to answer the OP's question, most of our cruises were in OVs or Balconies. I was in a SJ once, with the next cruise in an OV. Did I miss the amenities of the suite, yes, but not enough to not book the next cruise.

Our next cruise which will be 7 days to Bermuda, might be in a midship Balcony. The only cabins which I won't consider are insides. I need to see the ocean, when I wake up in the morning.

I am having the same issue. The prices for Alaska in 2016 are outrageous and the suites make it even more ridiculous. We will have Platinum status in 2016 so I am wondering if that would off set some of the perks I love like priority embarkation and debarkation. We love the Butler it isn't crucial but I do have a feeling we would miss the space in the room. We do use our room and spend a lot of time there. Decisions decisions...definite quality problems today. :)

I agree that the suite prices for some cruises are WAY out of control. An alaska cruise for 2016 exactly like the one we are taking this may, same sailing, room and booking about the same amount if time out from sailing, was up about $5000 :eek:. With what I'm paying for cruises in 2015, and expenses I know I'm going to incur in 2016, is why I'm looking into balcony rooms and mini suites.