Galveston Quesions

Hawg Sailer

My wife and I are cruising out of Galveston on the Navigator in a few months and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on where to stay, eat, get a drink, etc. the night before our cruise. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Host Kat >^..^<
OP's threads merged

We like the Harbor house pier21 you wake up and see the ship in port

http://www.harborhousepier21.com/

and right below it is the Olympia grill pier21

Here are some photos pre remodel

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1711772

Edited by jonbgd

Sailed from there a few times so will not repeat what others have already stated. There are many fine places to eat on the island.

Regarding places to stay....that is probably my biggest issue with this port. Depending on when you are sailing the prices of hotel rooms can become quite ridiculous. As the weather warms you could end up paying well into the $200s for a room. So my suggestion is to look as deep as you can to try and find a reasonable price for a room while at the same time making sure the hotel is not a dump. That happened to one couple we cruised with when they booked the Knights Inn on the Seawall. Even with a price of around $150 the place had yet to be repaired from the hurricane years earlier. They ended up scrambling to find something else the night before the cruise and paying a LOT of money for it.

Depending on when you are sailing the prices of hotel rooms can become quite ridiculous.

Yes, with Galveston I book as early as possible, easily done and if plans change cancelation costs nothing in general.

Edited by pspercy

We just used Hotwire for our Jan 10th hotel before embarking Navigator on the 11th we just booked this past week. We check some hotels in Galveston and either no rooms were available or the price was very high for what was available at this late date.

As we are cruising with another couple, we booked two king bed rooms at Super 8 League City/Kemah Area along with a Dollar full size car for transportation the day before and the day of our cruise for $120 total cost for all.

If one selects a package, in this case a hotel and car, with Hotwire it shows the actual names of the hotel offered and you don't book blind as with the hotel only booking.

I just checked and a one king bed room at that hotel and mid size car is $73 for that date. Remember you can upgrade the car as the first offering is the cheapest usually with a economy car.

With hotel only booking you can select a certain area only and there is only one two star hotel showing in the Clear Lake area for that date so that likely is the above Super 8.

It is located about 15 miles south of Hobby and about 25 miles from the port area in Galveston, just off of the Gulf Fwy near the League City W. Main St exit and had mostly good reviews on Tripadvisor..

To get to the ship our plan is to drive down with the rental car on embarkation morning and drop off luggage and three of us. Then I or the other DH will return the car to Hobby and take the ship's transfer back as Galveston is not the easiest or cheapest port to get to without driving there yourself.

Edited by robtulipe

Sailed from there a few times so will not repeat what others have already stated. There are many fine places to eat on the island.

Regarding places to stay....that is probably my biggest issue with this port. Depending on when you are sailing the prices of hotel rooms can become quite ridiculous. As the weather warms you could end up paying well into the $200s for a room. So my suggestion is to look as deep as you can to try and find a reasonable price for a room while at the same time making sure the hotel is not a dump. That happened to one couple we cruised with when they booked the Knights Inn on the Seawall. Even with a price of around $150 the place had yet to be repaired from the hurricane years earlier. They ended up scrambling to find something else the night before the cruise and paying a LOT of money for it.

I suspect they did not read reviews and use cruise critic!

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on where to stay in Galveston the night before we cruise. Also, if you know of any cool places to eat, get a drink, etc. that information would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance

The last time I cruised out of Galveston and the next time I cruise out of Galveston I stayed (and will again) in Houston. The hotel prices are much less.

I fly in from LAX. I can get a non-stop from LAX to Bush, with is north of Houston. I believe only Southwest flies into Hobby, which is south of Houston, but still a long way from Galveston. There are no commercial airports near Galveston.

The cab fare is expensive. In fact, I paid as much to go from the airport to the dock as I did to go from Los Angeles to Houston. Since the taxis cost so much, I booked a limo from the hotel to the pier. The limo actually cost less than a taxi.

I stayed in Houston because the cost of the hotels in Houston is so much less than the hotel costs in Galveston. That said, you asked about staying in Galveston. There is a hotel in Galveston that cruisers like, that is more or less across the street from the port. Unfortunately I don't remember the name, and when I checked it out (five years ago), it was expensive. That said, I found a couple of links worth checking out ...

This one groups the hotels into three categories; free parking & transfers, free parking and minimal fee parking & transfers ...

http://www.galveston.com/parkandcruise/

This next one includes information on pre cruise hotels for many cruise ports, including Galveston ...

http://pre-cruisehotels.com/

The following is from my cruise when I cruised out of Galveston ...

Galveston is not the easiest port to cruise out of. The airport is in the north end of Houston and it is quiet a distance to the port. There are no rental car agencies on the island, which makes it hard on those that fly in. In fact, it is costing me as much to go from the hotel to the port as it is to go from Los Angeles to Houston by air.

When I have to fly to the port, I go a day early (just in case). The day started at 5:00am when my alarm when off. By 6:00am I was driving to the airport. I was actually at the gate before 7:30am and decided to look for someone from the roll call. I didn’t see him, and didn’t feel like walking around calling his name, so we will meet up tomorrow or Monday on the ship. He took the 8:00am flight to Houston; I took the 9:00am flight (both flights were on time). After landing I took a taxi to the Sheraton – Galleria in Houston (about $70 including the tip). I booked this hotel via Hotwire for under $100 per night. Not bad for a suite. Hotels in Galveston are $200+.

After putting my bags in the room I walked over to the Galleria (about two blocks away) and walked around. It seems to be a fairly high end mall. Then back to the room, upload the photos and started on this review.

And now that I am all caught up, photos uploaded, checked in by posting on the roll call (thanks to the free wireless Internet access) and finished my review up to this point; it is time for a nice steak dinner. I am in Texas after all, and there is a very nice steakhouse downstairs in the hotel.

Because of the distance involved, and the lack of any rental car agents on the island, I decided to just hire a limo to take me to the ship. The cost was $135 plus tip, or about twice the cost of the trip to the hotel, and about three times the distance (which means it is less expensive than a taxi and far more comfortable). Originally I arranged for a 10am pick up. However, I was warned about construction delays along the route, both by on line posts and via an e-mail from Royal Caribbean to my agent. So I moved the pick up to up to 9:30am.

The driver was a little early, and I received the call in the room just as I was getting ready to leave (good timing). Check out was quick, since I incurred no additional charges beyond what I paid Hotwire. Of course there were no delays and I arrived at the pier at about 10:30am.

I really dislike sailing out of Galveston. However when I do sail out of there, I stay at The Tremont House. It's a lovely hotel with a view of the cruiseships.

Below is a picture from our room.

378549_10150399705370936_894165496_n.jpg?oh=2eeaeb828bf9c32ad816706c4506a2e6&oe=55355627

Absolutely agree with EVERYTHING that you said. The Tremont is a nice hotel and we didn't find it prohibitively expensive. Galveston is probably our least favorite port to cruise from.

We stay at LaQuinta on the sea wall. If you are I early the air museum is great and also some of the house tour are great. The aquarium is one of the best at moody gardens

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hawg Sailer you don't mention budget so I'll recommend where we stayed for our last 3 cruises. The La Quinta on Seawall. Clean, quiet and reasonable. Now if you are sailing on or around Mardi Gras make sure to reserve early as everything fills up fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We drive down from Dallas to cruise from Galveston frequently. More often than not, we'll stay in Texas City the night before embarkation. I usually book through Priceline, using their express deals. A room has usually been around $80. This year I made a reservation early for the Four Points Sheraton, right on the sea wall, for $98. Then I cancelled that reservation when Priceline offered that hotel as an express deal for $76. Although I can usually get a good idea of which hotel Priceline is actually offering, I've never been disappointed with what I've gotten through them.

Bennett of

Bennett and Debbie

I was traveling with a group of six. We stayed in Houston because we were flying in late. I booked an executive van through a company given a good rating from the BBB to take us to port and pick us up again. Great experience!

We recently stayed at the Hilton Galveston Island resort and used their free cruise parking/shuttle service. It worked out very well. If you choose this hotel, book a tower ocean view. Those rooms are updated and have beautiful views. Get on the Cruise shuttle list early. We were on the 10 a.m. shuttle and onboard by 11:00. 840abdac4f779bf74a60ead626401216.jpg

We recently stayed at the Hilton Galveston Island resort and used their free cruise parking/shuttle service. It worked out very well. If you choose this hotel, book a tower ocean view. Those rooms are updated and have beautiful views. Get on the Cruise shuttle list early. We were on the 10 a.m. shuttle and onboard by 11:00. 840abdac4f779bf74a60ead626401216.jpg

There hotel is it a one night or two night stay? And how far out do you need to book ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I second the Hilton Galveston Island (tower room) on Seawall Blvd. it was convenient to Specs (liquor store) & Walmart. We had a great meal at Gaidos & another at Landrys. Best breakfast at Gumbo Diner. (All are within walking distance of the Hilton). We took advantage of the car slept free at the Hilton (up to 15 days) while we cruised. Moody Gardens was a lot of fun for an evening & The Strand is full of neat little shops & restaurants. The Hotel Gálvez is also a nice place. Call the hotels directly, don't book on line, the price is much lower with direct contact. Have fun!08f332f60217a0f838b768daffb70fd2.jpg. That's our view from Hilton tower

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by awhfy

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on where to stay in Galveston the night before we cruise. Also, if you know of any cool places to eat, get a drink, etc. that information would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance

We have sailed out of Galveston several times over the years and have tried several places to stay I doing so. We liked the Hilton quite a bit over the Gálvez and South Houston hotels. Our last 5 trips we have stayed at the Harbor House located in the marina next to the cruise terminals. We like watching the cruise ships come by the room on Sunday morning. This is our "go to hotel" if available. Book early as it sells out quickly.

There are several restaurants in the immediate marina area to eat at. We are currently at the hotel awaiting our annual New Years cruise(also our anniversary). We ate at the Fishermans Wharf last night, the service and food was excellent. The drinks were appropriately priced and not watered down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk