Will Cruise Prices come down due to decrease in oil prices?

kruisey

During the recent recession, oil prices skyrocketed but cruise prices (not just on Princess) did not increase significantly and did not cover the increased costs of fuel.

Pulling out of the recession has meant higher pricing on many itineraries.

I do not think we have started to pull out of a recession yet over the border.

The question for me is will the airlines eliminate the annoying baggage fees now that the price is so low? This was the rationale for instituting the additional fees years ago when the price of oil went up.

I think I know the answer....

Have you ever know a fee, once in place, to be removed?

It appears there are some pretty good sales out there. We just booked one today for next spring that we could not resist. I looked at some of the discount travel agents and they were quite a bit higher than what Princess had on their website.

I can ALMOST always find lower prices on major websites than on Princess.

The only way to get a "discount" from a TA is to actually request a quote for a specific cruise and cabin category. "Looking" doesn't mean a thing since Princess doesn't allow TAs to promote or advertise fares other than official Princess fares.

Sorry, but that is not accurate at all. :o

The best example right now, is the price for the Grand Princess, for two different 15 night Hawaii cruises. On the Princess website it's $1499pp, while they are both advertised on a major cruise travel website for $1099pp. ;)

Princess bought fuel on a futures contract and now has to live with those prices or break the contract usually with money. They cannot reduce the price below what it costs them per passenger to operate a cruise so there is a bottom floor. That is unless they don't want to stay in business losing money. I would not expect an across the board price drop anytime soon. However on certain cruises that are not selling well, there may well be some good discounts.

As for the question about airlines dropping all their added fees, the fees are here to stay and a few have increased their extra prices. This is the future.

See the pricing on the Canadian site then you will see a big difference above the normal banking exchange rate

I am not understanding you here Kruisey. I haven't looked at the Canadian cruise pricing very far into the future but isn't the Canadian price still just 10% higher than the US$ price? If so, that is way below todays straight exchange rate of just over 1.16 Canaian to $1 US. A bargain for sure!

Not that I am happy with our exchange rate against the US$ but it is a fact of life, not a Princess get rich quick scheme. They are not making the same amount of profit off of us Canadians (when we book in Canadian rather than in US) these days as they are off of most other passengers. And we can pre-purchase OBC at the same discounted rate!

Terry

I can ALMOST always find lower prices on major websites than on Princess.

Sorry, but that is not accurate at all. :o

The best example right now, is the price for the Grand Princess, for two different 15 night Hawaii cruises. On the Princess website it's $1499pp, while they are both advertised on a major cruise travel website for $1099pp. ;)

The Princess policy is that TAs cannot advertise or promote a fare lower than the Princess fare. If they are, they are violating the Princess policy. Princess is usually very strict about this. Edited by Pam in CA

AA didn't eliminate the baggage fee when I flew with them yesterday. They did however eliminate one of the wheels from my suitcase.

Terry

Thanks for the good laugh!!!!! I really needed it tonight. :D:D:D

Edited by Sillyjilly

The Princess policy is that TAs cannot advertise or promote a fare lower than the Princess fare. If they are, they are violating the Princess policy. Princess is usually very strict about this.

If you walk into a Westin, Hilton or Super 8, you will pay a certain price. If you make a phone call to a website TWO MINUTES before walking in, you will pay $20 to $200 less. Same hotel, same room, same day.

THIS site, which I have used over a dozen times with never even a minor hiccup, is probably the largest volume cruise site anywhere. The prices are most likely due to VOLUME.

I have been called a liar to my face on several occasions because people absolutely REFUSE to believe the low prices I pay... all the time... on Celebrity, NCL, Carnival, HAL and Princess. :rolleyes:

I am in the market for a Hawaiian cruise right now, so I am tracking prices daily and am quite familiar with a lot of the opportunities. :D

Another couple of examples right now are the 15 night Star Princess to Hawaii itineraries on 13 Jan and 27 Feb. Princess website shows $1509pp, and $1299pp respectively, this site is showing $1199pp for both. ;)

If you book early because you MUST go on a certain cruise on a certain date you will pay significantly more than if you have the flexibility to shop for deals after final payment.

Edited by teecee60

Unless the site has an agreement with Princess, which they certainly might, technically they are violating Princess' rules about posting discounted prices for unsolicited searches.

If they have a deal with Princess, they can do whatever the deal allows, so it is certainly possible.