who thought this was a good idea?

centurycruiser

I just got off the Sunshine and was surprised they didn't offer an internet package that was pay as you go. They only offered packages that were for 24 hour periods, $6, $16, and $25 per 24 hour period.

When I cruise I like to check my email and a couple of websites during the week. I might use 15-20 minutes each week, but, there is no way I would pay those kind of rates for any one day, let alone a full week. Before that happened I would quit cruising Carnival.

Carnival's packages appear to be geared to the young people who need constant internet access. Us older folks are just fine with a "little" access. Maybe Carnival is sending us older folks a message: "We don't want you, or, we don't need you!"

I get free internet on 3 other cruise lines and while I enjoy cruising Carnival, I would not do it if it meant paying $16 per day or not having internet access. I am almost Diamond but if Carnival does this on all ships, I'll never get there.

On the other hand I really enjoyed all the different dining options.

Do you like the Carnival packages or are you like me and prefer the per minute plans?

I just got off the Sunshine and was surprised they didn't offer an internet package that was pay as you go. They only offered packages that were for 24 hour periods, $6, $16, and $25 per 24 hour period.

When I cruise I like to check my email and a couple of websites during the week. I might use 15-20 minutes each week, but, there is no way I would pay those kind of rates for any one day, let alone a full week. Before that happened I would quit cruising Carnival.

Carnival's packages appear to be geared to the young people who need constant internet access. Us older folks are just fine with a "little" access. Maybe Carnival is sending us older folks a message: "We don't want you, or, we don't need you!"

I get free internet on 3 other cruise lines and while I enjoy cruising Carnival, I would not do it if it meant paying $16 per day or not having internet access. I am almost Diamond but if Carnival does this on all ships, I'll never get there.

Do you like the Carnival packages or are you like me and prefer the per minute plans?

Personally I don't want any, I want to get away from email. If I must check it I do t ashore somewhere with free wi-fi preferably.

Been cruising 15 yrs without checking email or using a cell phone and don't plan to start when we leave this Saturday for our NYE cruise on Liberty!

Everyone who needs to know where I am, does, I will wish all my family happy new year before I go. Even if there were an emergency there is not a damn thing I could do about it until I got back as I will be out of the country on a ship....my family and friends get it! Everyone has the emergency number to reach the ship if it is an emergency of the worse case but even then chances are I could not do anything until we got back to port.

I do not work on vaca as I am on vaca...I do not "check in" with FB or any other site as I am on vaca and I really do not want to know about any drama happening back home for the week as I am on vaca. Our time together on the ship by ourselves is the most important thing that week, no devices allowed!

Perhaps a different type of vaca is in order for those that just have to be connected for whatever reason, IDK...

Edited by Drazil65

I don't worry about the Internet when I'm on a cruise so they can package their service anyway they want......I won't even know. As previously stated, many free wifi spots at ports that I can use to make a VOIP call if I want to say hi to the kids (and remind them I'm on a cruise!).

If they don't give it to me by the minute I'm going to boycott and protest Carnival. Start a crusade against Cruise lines with poor packages. Finger Up Won't Type, will be our slogan.

Follow me on twitter....well, maybe not, I can't get on by the minute. But if I could.

#InternetByTheMinuteMatters!

But how much more do you have to pay for those cruises on the other three cruise lines? Probably a lot more than what you have to pay for the Internet time on Carnival. You're still paying for it but it's a hidden cost with the other three lines.

Edited by RWolver672

Just curious....did you ask the internet manager onboard, if 'per minute' rates were available?

We haven't done Carnival in awhile, but were on Princess last week. Deeply buried in the prices was the 'per minute' rate ($.75).

Edited by thinfool

Been cruising 15 yrs without checking email or using a cell phone and don't plan to start when we leave this Saturday for our NYE cruise on Liberty!

Everyone who needs to know where I am, does, I will wish all my family happy new year before I go. Even if there were an emergency there is not a damn thing I could do about it until I got back as I will be out of the country on a ship....my family and friends get it! Everyone has the emergency number to reach the ship if it is an emergency of the worse case but even then chances are I could not do anything until we got back to port.

I do not work on vaca as I am on vaca...I do not "check in" with FB or any other site as I am on vaca and I really do not want to know about any drama happening back home for the week as I am on vaca. Our time together on the ship by ourselves is the most important thing that week, no devices allowed!

Perhaps a different type of vaca is in order for those that just have to be connected for whatever reason, IDK...

Where is the like button:D

I agree we go on vacation so few days in the year, we've got real life the rest of the time.

But how much more do you have to pay for those cruises on the other three cruise lines? Probably a lot more than what you have to pay for the Internet time on Carnival. You're still paying for it but it's a hidden cost with the other three lines.

So, with the hidden cost, those of us who don't want nor use internet are paying for you to use it "free". For those who can't live without it, you and you alone should be paying for it's use.

Why is this suddenly a problem? How did you "almost" reach diamond if it's such a problem to be charged $6 to check your e mail?

As a retired hardware/software engineer, the LAST thing I want on a cruise is internet access! No EYEPADS, no EYEPHONES, NOTHING! :cool: If I absolutely need to check something back home, I'll dial up someone when in port, or use the ships phone for $1.99 per minute.

"SKY"

OK, OK, we understand. Most folks cruise to get away from email and such. Not all folks are as fortunate as you are. Some of us need to check in. That was not the point of the OP's post.

I happen to agree with the OP. I too must check email everyday (I know you don't) and it usually takes me about 2-3 minutes to do so. At the old $.75 per minute pay as you go rate that comes out to around $2-3 per day. The new rates effectively increase my cost by 200% and the rates were pretty high in the first place.

We know you don't want or need to check your email so we don't really need everybody to repeat that over and over. :rolleyes:

Edited by travler27

Carnival needs us older folks more than we need Carnival. We have the time and money to cruise whereas the younger people have to work and they get limited vacation time. Many have children which is an extra expense. I think Carnival markets their products to gain the most amount of revenue. FTTF was the latest profit making gimmick, and many are willing to pay for it just like the internet.

P.S. Cruise Princess. When you reach Platinum status you get 250 minutes of internet for free.

Edited by elliair

Remember some people travel without their kids and need to check in with the grandparents.

We travel with our kids but my family loves to keep up with our vacation adventures on social media. I can't wait for the new plan and hope it will be on my April cruise. Hubby and I will be able to txt on our phones to keep up with each other on the ship.

I only check personal emails, not work.

I actually like what I have seen from the new packages. On my last cruise I did the "pay by the minute" thing because all I was doing was checking into my flight and printing a boarding pass and honestly with this new package it would have been cheaper for me to pay for access for the day. The internet was so slow that day because everyone was trying to use it and it took me forever. It ended up costing me a lot of money. So, even though the by the minute sounds nice, it isn't always.

Had I paid for the day, I could have checked in at home too! I know the OP's intention wasn't for this to turn into a debate about if people should be online on vacation or not, but some of us have obligations at home and it's hard no to check back on them. Including pets that I have left with family members that I do want to check on their wellbeing. :)

Nothing is free. The fee is built into the cruise.