Insignia Post Fire Location and Movement

dwgreenlee

I had to hunt back to one of the previous "identities" of Insignia (don't remember which one) to find the GL classification. That may have changed since then, but it's not real common (costs a lot to switch). I know that NCL tends towards DNV.

It is going to be interesting to see what flag Oceania/NCLH puts on the Sirena (Ocean Princess) - may be an indicator of things to come.

Jan and Captain Flokos (who oversaw the repairs) are good friends. I doubt he "reported" to Jan so much as reassured her the sea trials were successful. He would have no reason to go into detail or to equivocate.

Ok thanks, appreciate that clarification but note it does not help with an understanding of what was tested during the sea trials or if she might be able to take passengers from San Juan - which was the point of that discussion. We can see from the AIS track that she made and sustained speed, navigated, maneuvered, and returned to port under her own power without running aground. All good things (very successful) but I hoped there was more details about her status. Guess we all are going to have to wait till this weekend to see if she gets underway.

I met a couple from Key West who were bound for Insignias world tour befote the fire .We met on Marina and they were staying on board until flying to Singapore to join The completion of their world cruise ...not exactly sure how ....to finish in Key west in July .....180 days on board ..wow now thats a cruise

So im sure they are anxiously waiting waiting news on its arrival in Singapore ....for them it was an anniverssary gift ..I think awesome ....wow 180 days on ship ...I cannot even imagine that !!!

So hopefully this ship will arrive on time ..nice people ..wish them well ...calm seas,blue skies good health

A lot of people are waiting with their fingers crossed.

Ok thanks, appreciate that clarification but note it does not help with an understanding of what was tested during the sea trials or if she might be able to take passengers from San Juan - which was the point of that discussion. We can see from the AIS track that she made and sustained speed, navigated, maneuvered, and returned to port under her own power without running aground. All good things (very successful) but I hoped there was more details about her status. Guess we all are going to have to wait till this weekend to see if she gets underway.

Details like that are extremely hard to come by, unless you have a mole onboard, and even the Captain would be a bit canny even with conversations with a friend, as there could still be legal issues with the incident, and the company would want to control information flow.

Even a couple days ago when she finished trials, I'm not sure if Oceania would have the infrastructure to set up a quickie cruise, or whether there would be enough people capable of jumping on at the last moment. All you more familiar with the line would probably know better. I would think that there would be a better chance of the company contacting those whose cruise was shortened, into joining at the refueling stop (Alexandria?) as that could save on the airfare and the refund somewhat.

I'll still be home when she gets to Singapore, so I'll keep tabs here and see what happens.

I'm one of those hoping to board in Singapore so I've been following this thread very keenly.

I think that once this cruise is up and running Oceania will want it to be the best it can be. As segmenters we always planned to join the ship in Singapore but there will be a lot of potentially very disappointed people coming on board. People who made plans to leave Miami in January and put a lot of work and expense into making that happen only to find that it didn't. Now Oceania has a chance to shine in the way this vessel is prepared for it's first passengers since the fire. They will want all systems running smoothly and setting up the on board infrastructure will, as chengkp75 says, take time.

That's why I think that setting up a quickie cruise is not the way to go, but that's only my opinion.

guessing here

but I would think they would have a skeleton crew boarding someplace maybe SJU

some kitchen staff will be boarding so the crew onboard will have food for the journey (they are probably onboard now) ;)

The ship will need to be cleaned top to bottom after sitting idle for 2 mths

Cabins will need linens stripped cleaned & beds remade

remember crew & passenger left in a hurry

Passengers at this point in time is doubtful but never say never ;)

It is nice to see she is moving under her own power

This all take time & the ship needs to be in tip top condition

guessing here

but I would think they would have a skeleton crew boarding someplace maybe SJU

some kitchen staff will be boarding so the crew onboard will have food for the journey (they are probably onboard now) ;)

The ship will need to be cleaned top to bottom after sitting idle for 2 mths

Cabins will need linens stripped cleaned & beds remade

remember crew & passenger left in a hurry

Passengers at this point in time is doubtful but never say never ;)

It is nice to see she is moving under her own power

This all take time & the ship needs to be in tip top condition

All true, but remember that the ship sat for a couple of months, with power, at the dock. They would not have let all hotel staff go, and I'm betting that things like the linens have already been stripped and laundered. There would have been folks like the class surveyor, the legal team, the MI investigators, home office types, and the engine contractors who would be living in guest cabins, so there is a need for stewards and galley/restaurant staff.

They will probably have some technicians riding with the ship as well.

The 8-9 days until the Suez would most likely be enough time, even with reduced crewing to clean the ship. I just don't think they can get things set up this quickly. I don't know what the segment from Miami was, or where the next group was supposed to get onboard, but it may happen in Suez.

I'm suspecting that the crew will be eating really well on the trip to Singapore, as they use up the old frozen stores. They will have to nearly restock the ship completely in Singapore.

Marine Traffic is now showing her destination as Gibraltar (which may be only a way point), so the new passage plan has been input into the ship's electronics. Good sign that she may be getting underway soon, or at least within a day or two.

Working back from the ETA of 02-27 0800, at 18 knots she should sail tomorrow, 02-19 at 0700 local.

Edited by chengkp75

The next group were due to get on in Barbados, I believe, then Capetown, then Singapore, then Shanghai etc.

So that might also complicate things as far as refunding partial cruises, excursions, etc. Not familiar enough with Oceania to know how they operate, and whether or not its worth it to them, now that they've cancelled part of a 'round the world.

I think the tough thing would be to get enough passengers to San Juan I a hurry to even partially fill the ship. Plus, if there is a significant number of passengers, there would have to be almost full crew, and that might be difficult to arrange In San Juan in a very few days.

I suppose it might be possible to arrange an intermediate pickup, but I can't imagine many folks who would be willing to pay for a cruise without port stops or excursions, which would be unlikely if they are to get to Singapore on time.

Am I to understand that the Master of the Insignia reported to you that the sea trial was sucessful? Oceania has reported very little information on the fire and repair process so this is really useful information. More details please.

If I told you, I would have to kill you..LOL

Jancruz1

So that might also complicate things as far as refunding partial cruises, excursions, etc. Not familiar enough with Oceania to know how they operate, and whether or not its worth it to them, now that they've cancelled part of a 'round the world.

Refunds have already been made, I think, and many people have made other arrangements. I really don't think they're going to pick up passengers.

It looks like the debate over passengers traveling from San Juan is over - Insignia has left. I also think everyone can relax - me included. I am sure Oceania has enough of a crew onboard to fully assess the hotel systems and embark any other needed materials and personnel in Gibraltar. Most likely, some of the Hotel management will board there as well. She could make another stop or simply arrive Singapore a couple days early to pick up the rest of the Hotel staff - or do both.

The hard part is over. The staffing of a ship after a yard period is a routine matter for a cruise line and the transit provides a longer than usual time to do so. Thanks to all who provide input in this matter - especially Chengkp75. I am not sure we resolved anything but I took comfort in the discussion.

All true, but remember that the ship sat for a couple of months, with power, at the dock. They would not have let all hotel staff go, and I'm betting that things like the linens have already been stripped and laundered.

I am not sure how long she sat at the dock in St Lucia without power but I would be leery of eating the frozen stock if it was more that a few days

As for crew I think all were flown to Miami some were sent to other ships but a lot were sent home

Would have to go back & read that thread when the fire happened

Like I said I was guessing

Lyn

All true, but remember that the ship sat for a couple of months, with power, at the dock. .

fire happened Dec 11th she was towed to PR on Dec 18th or 19th

Maybe some of the generators were in use but maybe not

not sure they had shore power or any power

here is the thread if you want to read through the posts

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2136877&page=8

fire happened Dec 11th she was towed to PR on Dec 18th or 19th

Maybe some of the generators were in use but maybe not

not sure they had shore power or any power

here is the thread if you want to read through the posts

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2136877&page=8

I've read most of that thread. While it seemed that there was only emergency power while the passengers were being evacuated, this is pretty much what I would have expected, given a fuel problem and fire on one engine. One of the first things the engineers will do is shut down the fuel supply system, which will stop all the engines. It would take several hours to days to determine what could or could not be restarted, and then need to restart the systems slowly, checking for faults as you go.

My assumption of why she was towed is that the engine room involved was sealed/unusable because of the investigation, and that this at the very least dropped power to 50% (minus what is needed for hotel), and possibly the propulsion motors were in the engine room involved.

I guarantee that the engine was not repaired, nor the engine room restored, on a ship without power. Shore power would have been provided at the very least, and since the ship was docked in SJ near the old shipyard, the infrastructure would be there. If they were operating with only shore power when the ship arrived in SJ, the first thing done would have been to work on getting ship's power back on line, and then repairing the engine. I suspect that ship's power was available for a minimum of 4-5 weeks. For a small ship like Insignia, I would expect that the shore power connection could handle most of the hotel load short of the A/C chillers.

Just my professional opinions, ymmv.

I've read most of that thread. While it seemed that there was only emergency power while the passengers were being evacuated, this is pretty much what I would have expected, given a fuel problem and fire on one engine. One of the first things the engineers will do is shut down the fuel supply system, which will stop all the engines. It would take several hours to days to determine what could or could not be restarted, and then need to restart the systems slowly, checking for faults as you go.

My assumption of why she was towed is that the engine room involved was sealed/unusable because of the investigation, and that this at the very least dropped power to 50% (minus what is needed for hotel), and possibly the propulsion motors were in the engine room involved.

I have no insight into the ship or if systems were restored or not

Would they have shore power for the several days in St Lucia??

That might be a consideration if no power for the food areas

Then sitting in the heat of the Caribbean would certainly have some spoilage of the food onboard or maybe not I have no idea

I know if my power is off here we may have a few days where the food will still be good in the freezer

Of course when they were in SJ I would suspect they would have to have some power from someplace to do the work required

Just saying

you are the expert

It's possible they had ship's power in St. Lucia, but shore power would have been somewhat limited, though they could have brought in portable generators and routed cabling to things like the refrigeration systems. Yes, they most likely threw out the non-frozen stuff, but with good management they could have kept the freezers for a few days (pack it all into the fewest number of walk in boxes, this minimizes the air in the box and maximizes the amount of cold stuff that will only slowly warm up, and keep the darn door closed.

While a tug is not always as available as a tow truck, one factor in why it took a while to tow to SJ is that they were working on getting power restored.

• 2 weeks later...

Whereas a few days ago she was out of range of the islands, and giving Gibraltar as destination, she is now a hundred miles or so West of Gib and giving Barcelona as her next docking on 1st March.. (0930 UTC Friday 27th.)

At 17 Kts, through the canal, seadistances.org estimates 16 days and 4 hrs to Singapore. With the time change we are probably looking at the 18th/19th in Singapore, depending on bunkering and/or picking up the staff?

Whereas a few days ago she was out of range of the islands, and giving Gibraltar as destination, she is now a hundred miles or so West of Gib and giving Barcelona as her next docking on 1st March.. (0930 UTC Friday 27th.)

At 17 Kts, through the canal, seadistances.org estimates 16 days and 4 hrs to Singapore. With the time change we are probably looking at the 18th/19th in Singapore, depending on bunkering and/or picking up the staff?

Sounds about right. I just picked her up entering the Straits of Gibraltar this morning, and saw the Barcelona destination. That's a bit out of the way, but it could be the best price for fuel is there, or convenience in crew changing. Will be interesting to see the length of port stay.

I think Suez canal transits are 12 knots, maybe 14 for cruise ships, but all transits are timed and convoyed to allow two way traffic to meet in the two "passing spots", at least until the new portions of the canal are finished, maybe next year, allowing better two way traffic.