Luggage Sizes & Best ones to use and other packing tips

BentleyRadcliffe

herbanrenewal...this is exactly how we pack and why we pack that way. No matter how long our trip is we only pack for 7/8 days max. Each item has to earn it's way into our bag in terms of how often we wear or use it. Plus, we shop for clothing that travels well and is light weight.

Not the right approach for everyone though.

As far as..."I like the folder most of all"...exactly what is a folder?

It's a device that will hold your folded clothes tightly together to keep them from moving, and thus wrinkling. Eagle Creek is the main supplier, though there are other brands out there as well.

I swear by them for keeping folded dress shirts sharp.

Link to product page HERE.

Edited by FlyerTalker

As stated so well earlier - depends on how you pack. We manage most trips in 22" carry in plus a backpack each unless we are bringing golf clubs. My Travel Pro bags travel at least 75 flights a year with half of them checked luggage and have held up well. I pack in zip lock bags which makes unpacking easy and makes a place to put dirty or wet laundry. Shoes eat space so I wear the sneakers to travel and pack flip flops and black sandals for evening. I always weigh in at about 30 lbs and it works for us. Other folks want more so have at it.

Looking for info pertaining to what size luggage to use, what brands are the best, & other packing details would be most helpful:)

We take two checked bags, one 26" and one 28". That size holds a lot but is easy to keep less than 50 lbs. my husband takes an 18" backpack carryon and I take a tote as mine.

This has taken us on long, 26 day and 33 day, cruises with pre and post hotel stays.

Sugggestion.....next time you are donating clothes to Salvation Army/Goodwill/insert your own charity, why not put them in one of those suitcases and make it a combined donation. If you don't use the suitcase, and won't use it, it serves as both a donation and as a container for the clothes you are giving.

;)

That is what we have done and the charity was delighted to get the luggage.

They said they rarely get luggage of any kind.

That is what we have done and the charity was delighted to get the luggage.

They said they rarely get luggage of any kind.

We've purchased a great lightweight piece from Goodwill for DD flying back and forth to Rome.

A late '80s brown tweed Jordache 26" with the four puny wheels. Weighs almost nothing and still has the wheels.

Looking for info pertaining to what size luggage to use, what brands are the best, & other packing details would be most helpful:)

I've been on a quest for the perfect luggage. So far, I haven't found it. We have a corner in our storeroom full of bags that we've tried and didn't like. So far, Travel Pro seems to be what works best for us. Try ebags.com. They have lots to choose from and the user reviews and comments can be helpful.

It all depends on what you think you need for a particular trip. On the last night of a cruise, I take a stroll down a few passageways and am always amazed by the massive amounts of luggage some take on a 7 night cruise.

I find the more I travel, the less I take. On our honeymoon 20 years ago, we had so many bags, people asked us if we were moving. Seriously. I spent a great deal of time on that trip schlepping bags as we went to multiple cities. We've learned to travel light in the years since. Now we both get by with a 20" roll aboard for cruises and single city trips. If we're doing more of a land vacation with lots of different modes of transport, we use convertible backpacks. I know that plan isn't for everyone.

I always use packing cubes and folders. It makes for easy transfer from bag to drawer when you get to your cabin. If you're on a different kind of trip and moving rooms frequently, the cubes keep everything together and you're less likely to leave something behind.

If you want to be really anal about it and you're traveling with a partner, pack a set of clothes in each cube, and then cross pack in your partner's bag. That way, even if one of the bags goes missing, you'll both still have some clothes to wear.

On our first cruise, we met a couple whose luggage hadn't made it. As I recall, they had been rerouted because of weather and their luggage hadn't. They hadn't packed any clothing in a carry on, so they were wearing Celebrity X t-shirts the first couple days until their bags caught up with them. Sometimes the bags never show up.

We've been cruising to almost 30 years and now we each only have a carry-on size suitcase that will expand if need be. My carry on is a shoulder bag with jewelry and the book I read on the way to the port. We drive to whatever port from Coastal NC so don't worry about weight. Can't remember last time we flew to a cruise.

We used to each have big suitcases but brought home things we never wore. I take 7 outfits for evenings, my husband takes only 2, maybe 3 pairs of pants (who is going to know he wore those pants two days ago?) and his suit. He no longer takes his tux.

We have done 14 days only with what is in our two small suitcases. I wash on day the next cruise starts- washing machines and dryers are never used that day so don't have to wait!

I've been on a quest for the perfect luggage. So far, I haven't found it. We have a corner in our storeroom full of bags that we've tried and didn't like. So far, Travel Pro seems to be what works best for us. Try ebags.com. They have lots to choose from and the user reviews and comments can be helpful.

It all depends on what you think you need for a particular trip. On the last night of a cruise, I take a stroll down a few passageways and am always amazed by the massive amounts of luggage some take on a 7 night cruise.

I find the more I travel, the less I take. On our honeymoon 20 years ago, we had so many bags, people asked us if we were moving. Seriously. I spent a great deal of time on that trip schlepping bags as we went to multiple cities. We've learned to travel light in the years since. Now we both get by with a 20" roll aboard for cruises and single city trips. If we're doing more of a land vacation with lots of different modes of transport, we use convertible backpacks. I know that plan isn't for everyone.

I always use packing cubes and folders. It makes for easy transfer from bag to drawer when you get to your cabin. If you're on a different kind of trip and moving rooms frequently, the cubes keep everything together and you're less likely to leave something behind.

If you want to be really anal about it and you're traveling with a partner, pack a set of clothes in each cube, and then cross pack in your partner's bag. That way, even if one of the bags goes missing, you'll both still have some clothes to wear.

On our first cruise, we met a couple whose luggage hadn't made it. As I recall, they had been rerouted because of weather and their luggage hadn't. They hadn't packed any clothing in a carry on, so they were wearing Celebrity X t-shirts the first couple days until their bags caught up with them. Sometimes the bags never show up.

I posted earlier that Travelpro is the way to go. What I forgot to mention is the lifetime warranty on their top lines, plenty of repair facilities, and no hassle parts replacement for items you can fix yourself. Pricey? Not really when you can often buy them at significant savings at Macy's et al. and then compare the cost to the multiple bags one would have to buy over the years (as they each bite the dust) at Marshall's or Walmart.

One of our Travelpro bags was actually crushed in transit. Called and E-mailed a pic to Travelpro. New item sent to us within days (they even waived their usual rule of return damaged item first.

Do look at what just about every airline employee wheels behind them (yes they do get a Travelpro discount- but you can match it with the right store sale). My original Travelpro plain carry-on is war weary at about 20 yrs old. Threadbare at the corners, the only other issue is missing zipper pulls (just haven't had the time to get replacements). Our newer ones are about seven years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's a device that will hold your folded clothes tightly together to keep them from moving, and thus wrinkling. Eagle Creek is the main supplier, though there are other brands out there as well.

I swear by them for keeping folded dress shirts sharp.

Link to product page HERE.

thank you FTer, for responding to this. I was at work (the dreaded 3-midnight shift) and couldn't get to it (no "social network" sites at work allowed).

Sometimes, I don't use the folder, but I'll use the folding board to get everything the same size. It folds things to fit in my bags sideways, so it's a good "measuring" tool.

The packing cubes are good for keeping all the electronics cables/adapters/extra batteries together, too. But, I now use the Tumi amenity bag I got on one of my Delta BE flights; it's just the right size!

Sometimes, I don't use the folder, but I'll use the folding board to get everything the same size. It folds things to fit in my bags sideways, so it's a good "measuring" tool.

Just a little thought....I took the inside folding board and went to a local "plastics" company....asked them if they could make a duplicate size using 1/4 or 3/8 inch plexiglas. Told them any old scrap would work...just smooth down the edges so they won't snag clothing. Now, I have a solid folding board that I use for all my everyday washing. All the shirts get folded to the same size, so they stack great in the wardrobe. Plus, I can go straight from the wardrobe to the folder to the suitcase without additional steps. Probably not as valuable for a woman, but should work for your polos and tops. Just a suggestion, as the board with the folders aren't really good for regular heavy use.

The packing cubes are good for keeping all the electronics cables/adapters/extra batteries together, too. But, I now use the Tumi amenity bag I got on one of my Delta BE flights; it's just the right size!
To keep my little Tumi BE kit bags straight, I use a little different colored cable tie on the zipper pull. That way, when I have a bunch of little black bags, I don't have to open each to find what I need to get. And yes, I have enough Tumi bags to last me a while. (Though I still won't pass one up on a flight!!)