My Crown Princess Christmas Cruise Misadventure

junglejane

Right now my frustration is waiting for the insurance company that handles the Princess Vacation Protection to send me the form to initiate the claim. It seems like they try to set up obstacles right away to make it hard to assert a claim. I don't see why you can't just download the claim form from the insurance company website. Instead they make you request the claim form and then they ignore your request! I'll probably do a separate thread later about my insurance claims process.

Such an unfortunate thing to happen on your trip! Though I have never purchased nor submitted a claim on Princess' insurance, I am an insurance coverage attorney and have some knowledge about how most insurance companies process claims. If you do not want to, you do not have to wait for them to send you a form. Write a letter explaining what happened, the treatment you have received and will need in the future, and include an itemization of ALL your expenses. If you need help, contact an attorney in your area specializing in insurance coverage issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can see why a person could slip here, definitely tricky to hike down. Hiking boots are the best but how many of us pack them for a cruise, unless we know beforehand what the walk/ hike is like.

Hope you heal quickly!:)

I can see why a person could slip here, definitely tricky to hike down. Hiking boots are the best but how many of us pack them for a cruise, unless we know beforehand what the walk/ hike is like.

Hope you heal quickly!:)

Suggest using light weight trail running shoes. Basically they are tennis shoes, with a different tread pattern that is deeper and grabs the trail much better. Especially on loose gravel and sand over a hard surface.

Hope your experience with Princess' third-party insurance provider is smooth. Took months of going between them, my insurance company and my HMO provider over a $181 medical center bill last year. Ultimately, my provider paid all but deductible (which I don't think they were obligated to do as it falls under a Medicare Advantage plan) and PVP paid the remaining $50.

I took other insurance on my upcoming 14 day cruise that offers primary coverage. Cheaper - and want to avoid the hassle. Want to make sure my remains get repatriated.

Well I can't say that I'm off to a good start with Berkely Care, the insurance administratorr for Princess Vacation Protection. We requested a claim form on the website travelclaim dot com twice. First on Dec. 27 and again on Jan. 3. Still no claim form to initiate the claim. Guess I'll have to write a letter. It's like they hope that if they ignore me, I'll go away. Which I won't.

Well I can't say that I'm off to a good start with Berkely Care, the insurance administratorr for Princess Vacation Protection. We requested a claim form on the website travelclaim dot com twice. First on Dec. 27 and again on Jan. 3. Still no claim form to initiate the claim. Guess I'll have to write a letter. It's like they hope that if they ignore me, I'll go away. Which I won't.

Firstly, I'm so sorry about your accident. I hope you heal quickly and completely.

Second, I've made two claims with Berkeley and both times, it was like pulling teeth to get the claim form. They promised to email it; they said they mailed it; yadda yadda. However, once I got the forms, bim bam boom: it went through speedily and they gave me no grief about refund/credit. I don't think they're malicious; I just think their frontline peeps are ditzy. Hang in there!

• 4 months later...

Just thought I'd report back about my insurance claim. Like Rdsqrl said, getting the claim started was like pulling teeth, but after that it went pretty smoothly. I've been reimbursed for the trip interruption claim for me and my DD who flew home with me -- basically 2/7 of our cruise fare for the two of us. I spent Wed night on the ship with my broken leg before flying home on Thursday, so they counted the trip interruption as two nights missed which is OK with me. And I got reimbursed for the medical expenses that weren't covered by my Blue Cross insurance. Basically that was the part of the Mazatlan hospital claim not paid by Blue Cross, and the bills allocated to my 2015 Blue Cross deductible for the physical therapy and doctor visits in early 2015. The biggest bill was my hospital bill for the surgery to repair the fracture at my local hospital after I flew home on Christmas Day. That bill was fully paid by Blue Cross. So Aon Affinity sent me a check for about $3,000, which covered my out of pocket medical expenses and trip interruption. Overally I'm pretty satisfied with Princess Vacation Protection. The injury occurred on 12/24/14 and I got my checks for medical and trip interruption by 5/26/15.

I still have swelling and stiffness in my left leg. But I'm walking and looking forward to my Baltic cruise on the Caribbean Princess on 6/27!