water slides on any NCL ships?

lara68

We are considering taking our 7 year old grandson on a cruise this spring. We took him last year on a Disney cruise and he loved the big waterslide. I was wondering if any of the NCL ships have slides that would be appropriate for children?

Most of Norwegian Cruise Line ships are equipped with a water slide with the exception of the Norwegian Pearl. She had her water slide removed to allow for more deck space as this ship is constantly used for music charters.

Norwegian Breakaway, Epic and Getaway have more than one slide available on the ship. For the young age group the lazy slides are the ones on these types of vessels that would be used and the newest ones like Getaway and Breakaway have their own separate slide for children in a children’s water park.

Most of Norwegian Cruise Line ships are equipped with a water slide with the exception of the Norwegian Pearl. She had her water slide removed to allow for more deck space as this ship is constantly used for music charters.

Dawn also does not have one.

We are considering taking our 7 year old grandson on a cruise this spring. We took him last year on a Disney cruise and he loved the big waterslide. I was wondering if any of the NCL ships have slides that would be appropriate for children?

We really need a bit more info like what ship(s) are you looking at.

NCL has slides of some type on most (not all) of their ships. They range from, as an example, a tiny slide in the kiddie pool section on the Sun, to the Spirit which has some tame slides but a real cool kids pool area on the back of the ship. The Star has the one shown (which is also pretty tame) and you usually have to push your way down as you get stuck due to lack of elevation/water. The Star and Dawn also have their own kids pool areas on the back of the ship with slides that are geared to that age on the higher end.

The Jewel class ships that have slides are more like the one shown for the Star. The new ships have great slides but there are also size restrictions on some of them - e.g. 100# minimum.

On DCL which ship/slide are you referencing?

Edited by dexddd

My what a helpful poster!!! It would be impolite to say what I really think.

Lara, your grandson is going to love whatever cruise ship you put him on. You just need to go on the NCL website and make sure the cruise you want has the Children's programs and amenities you know will keep him happy so Grandma and Grandpa can have a great time too :)

Thank you for your help. We have sailed Norwegian before, but not in recent years. Our travels have mostly been on Celebrity but we thought perhaps that NCL might be a better fit with a child this age! You're right though, I'm sure just having him with us will make for a great time.

Thank you for your help. Yes, we were on the disney Dream last year and our grandson loved the Aquaduck! We, however, thought it would be best to try NCL since it seemed to offer so much more. Besides, my husband, went up and down steps so often, HE could you a change!!

We have cruised Disney quite a bit. My 3 daughters enjoyed the Aquaduck on the Dream and Fantasy. But they absolutely loved the variety of slides and the larger pool area on the NCL Epic. We are on the Getaway for the first time in a couple of weeks so I will see how that compares to the Epic.

Thank you for your help. Yes, we were on the disney Dream last year and our grandson loved the Aquaduck! We, however, thought it would be best to try NCL since it seemed to offer so much more. Besides, my husband, went up and down steps so often, HE could you a change!!

To get anything close to Aquaduck you'll want to look at Epic, BA, GA, or Escape (which comes into service late 2015). Again, note there are some restrictions on some of the slides.

Dawn also does not have one.

Um, yes it does. They have an entire dedicated area on the back of the ship with some kid slides there. It's a dinosaur theme. The sister ship of the Dawn, the Star has the same thing but it's a space ship theme.

Dawn

600x400-norwegian-dawn-Kids-Pool.jpg

The Star

kids-pool-5-L.jpg

Star main pool area has 2 slides:

main-pool-large-L.jpg

The Spirit has a super cool area on the back of the ship too. There's fountains and cave and it's a lot of fun with a pirate theme.

IMG_4891-L.jpg

The Jewel (The Pearl had this type of slide too, but someone menioned they took it out, so I don't know).

PC150234-L.jpg

The Sun & the Sky=no water slides at all.

We loved the kid area slides on the back of the ship on the Star and Dawn. Those little slides at the end are pretty quick and the middle pool was just deep enough. Plus you have the wonderful view while the kids play if you stay back there with with them. We were on the Star 2yrs ago and the Dawn 3. So, my son was 4 and 3 and it was perfect. O then there is a shallow slide and pool area for the smaller ones too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We loved the kid area slides on the back of the ship on the Star and Dawn. Those little slides at the end are pretty quick and the middle pool was just deep enough. Plus you have the wonderful view while the kids play if you stay back there with with them. We were on the Star 2yrs ago and the Dawn 3. So, my son was 4 and 3 and it was perfect. O then there is a shallow slide and pool area for the smaller ones too.

The one on the Spirit is pretty cool as well but the real nice thing is they have like a 3 level tiered seating area in the back which has a bar at the top. So you can sit in the sun or get some shade while the kids are in the pool. The whole seating area is much larger than the Dawn or Star. In the review by tmackel of the Med on Spirit they had some pictures of that area. Plus the Spirit is coming back to the States in November.

The one on the Spirit is pretty cool as well but the real nice thing is they have like a 3 level tiered seating area in the back which has a bar at the top. So you can sit in the sun or get some shade while the kids are in the pool. The whole seating area is much larger than the Dawn or Star. In the review by tmackel of the Med on Spirit they had some pictures of that area. Plus the Spirit is coming back to the States in November.

Ok thanks