Caribbean vs. Mediterranean

MSunshine

Might be a silly question, so please be kind...We are taking a Mediterranean cruise on Vision in April. We have not done a Europe cruise other than leaving from Spain on a transatlantic. Can anyone tell me if there is any notable differences in Mediterranean vs. Caribbean cruises such as menu changes, entertainment, language spoken for announcements, etc. It seems that prices for Mediterranean cruises are pricier than Caribbean so I was wondering why that might be.

Biggest differences for us are port intensity, distance to city from port, and currency. Med cruises typically have a port almost every day, and the distance to the city from the port can be an hour or so. This can make for a full and exhausting day. Plus you will generally not be able to use USD for port purchases, so you've got to get Euros or whatever other currency you might need.

For the most part the menus are the same on the Med cruises as they are on the Caribbean cruises. You will hear announcements in different languages as opposed to Caribbean being pretty much English only. You'll find the dining times are likely later as well - so early seating in Caribbean might be say 5:30pm whereas in Europe it will be 6:30pm or even 7pm as Europeans tend to eat dinner later than in North America.

I think part of the reason the prices are higher is that the port charges and taxes tend to be higher in Europe vs. the Caribbean and the ship has to pay for supplies etc. in Euros which cost something like $1.25 USD per Euro. On board the ship if I remember correctly everything is priced in USD.

Definitely agree with above poster. The good thing is that you can exchange currency at guest relations and at a fair cost.

I've done maybe 7 Caribbean/Bermuda cruises and 1 Mediterranean. The biggest difference, as stated above, is that Med was really port intensive. You want to take advantage of all of the great ports (especially since in my case, it was an once in the lifetime experience).

We barely saw the ship because we were so exhausted at the end of the tours that we spent a lot of time in our room, resting. We also barely took advantage of the pool and didn't take any shows.

A lot of passengers on Med cruises are from Europe, many don't speak English. They always made announcements in multiple languages, English was always spoken by crew members. I didn't want to chance sitting with non-English speakers during dining, so a group of us on Roll Call had a table together for dinner.

Since Athens was so important to me (was the one place I always wanted to visit) I set up a private tour with a large group from Roll Call. We had our own tour guide in a small bus and she took us anywhere we wanted and made suggestions, it was lovely. If was cheaper than going through the cruise ship and we got to see some locations the cruise ship groups cant get to. I can give the information of the tour company I used if anyone is interested.

Also since you're making such a long trip there, I highly recommend spending additional time outside of the cruise in Europe. We did a few days in London before going to Rome because our flights to Rome were limited from Philadelphia. We then spent a few days in Rome after the cruise at a great B&B near the Vatican.

It was truly an unforgettable trip. Not really a relaxing one, but still incredible.

Many of the ports in Europe are industrial ports. You need to take a shuttle to get to port exit. Other times, like Greek islands, you can walk right off and into town.

It is very heplful to join in your roll call. Many folks organize private tours and these can be very worthwhile and cheaper than ship tours. If you are DIY you need to figure out the local transportation options or book a car service or taxi before hand . We have done private, ship tours and have taken local busses and trians to various points of interest.

I prefer cruising in Europe than the Caribbean.

Love meeting people form many different countries and cultures.

We assume you are talking about the 4/26 cruise which is very port intensive (only 1 sea day). Menus are similar in the Med, and in fact, much of the food products are shipped in from the US via containers. If there are any large groups of non-English passengers you might find that announcements are in multiple language, but they are generally only in English.

The big difference is the ports and how you want to handle your port days. Unlike the more relaxing Caribbean ports, the Med can be exhausting for many...so the ships tend to be quieter after 10 then you would find in the Caribbean (folks need their sleep for the long port days).

You do have some issues with your schedule, particularly in Villefranche (Nice). This is a tender port and you are scheduled to arrive at 9:30. If you want to do things on your own (we always do our own thing in Europe) it can be a real problem since its a tender port. It can easily take 2 hours to get everyone ashore (depending on sea conditions). Messina also has an issue because it is scheduled as an afternoon port day. Many folks will take tours to the hilltop resort town of Taormina....but like most of Italy, many of the shops will be closed during the afternoon. But its still a wonderful place to visit, has great views, there are plenty of touristy places open for shopping, and the Greco Roman Amphitheater will be open for visits.

Also keep in mind that late April is normally relatively cool so none of these ports are going to be good for swimming. We normally like to go to the beach in Ajaccio, but not in late April :).

Hank

A lot of passengers on Med cruises are from Europe, many don't speak English. They always made announcements in multiple languages, English was always spoken by crew members. I didn't want to chance sitting with non-English speakers during dining, so a group of us on Roll Call had a table together for dinner.

We did not find this on our late-Oct RCI Greek Islands cruise. Most passengers were Americans. Everyone we ever spoke to on board (crew and pax) spoke English. Most Europeans do speak quite good English. They know it's a world language, plus they watch American TV for the hot shows, and so learn English.

I would never arrange dinner bookings to avoid the possibility of sharing a meal with people who are different from me. I don't think travel is just about places, I think it's equally about people who are in those places.

Although I broadly agree with other posters, perhaps some of the differences have been over-emphasised?

Yes, the Med is usually - but not always - more port-intensive. You can of course skip a port & stay on the ship instead though that would be a waste, the whole point of a Med cruise is to see the sights.

Only a few of the Med ports are some distance from destinations. eg Rome (1hr plus), Athens (30 mins), Florence (1.5 hrs), Olympia (40 mins).

Ditto "industrial" ports at a few destinations.

Hank mentioned tender ports - sorry Hank but I reckon the number of tender ports no greater than in the Caribbean, though of course that depends on itineraries. Most Med tender port operations are done by local boats rather than ship's own tenders and they're generally much quicker.

Most ports are pretty close & easy to destinations, but for those which aren't it's something to bear in mind when considering how much you can see in a port day.

Yes, of course intensive sight-seeing is more exhausting but I've not known ships to be quiet by 10pm, or evening shows to be poorly attended. That's something I associate more with cruisers' age-ranges than with destinations.

Language is no problem. On Med cruises that I've taken (US as well as UK ships) the majority of passengers have spoken English as a first-language, many others had good English, those without English tended to keep together. Yes, several languages on the tannoys (English first) but evening shows, quizzes, signage etc paid only lip-service to other languages, and the crew are broadly the same folk who sail the Caribbean. A minor problem only for those who don't speak English. (roles are reversed on Italian & Spanish ships).

For fixed dining, the Maitre D earns his crust by ensuring that everyone on shared tables speaks the same language. For any-time we've always been happy to share tables, but sharing only with those who speak English - sometimes that's been with folk who speak English as a second language and that makes for a more interesting evening.

Even some Europeans like an early evening meal, I can't imagine a first-sitting after 6.30pm, and later wouldn't tie in with the latest second sitting around 8.30pm. Only difference is that second sitting may be more heavily subscribed than first - the opposite of my Caribbean experiences.

Food is much as for Caribbean cruises, though often the kitchen brigade will add a dish or two with a local flavour.

Currency of US ships remains USD.

The currency in most Med countries is the Euro and the Euro is widely accepted in many (but not all) tourist destinations outside the Eurozone. Not vastly different to the USD being king in the Caribbean, though you do need to research acceptability in each port.

I find ships' exchange rates very poor. For us Brits it's better to buy before we leave home, but I've heard that banks & exchange bureaux in the US offer poor rates, & the advice I've seen on this forum has always to use ATMs in the ports for cash, & to pay with plastic for significant purchases.

Yes cruise prices, regardless of airfares, are higher in Europe. Partly because of more & higher port fees, but I suspect mainly because due to exchange rates etc. Europe is more expensive generally than the US or Caribbean, so expect that to also be reflected in on-shore costs.

This is particularly true of hiring a taxi on the quayside for a tour. A cheap option in the Caribbean but a no-no in Europe, where hailing a taxi is only economical for a short hop such as from ship to rail station. If you want a private tour, you fix it in advance at an agreed price.

Best options in the Med are shared vans & car rentals via CC's RollCalls, or using public transport - trains, buses, trams, ferries, ho-ho buses, all way better than in the US.

If you want a lazy relaxing vacation with plenty of beach & water-sport time, the Caribbean is better, cheaper, & on your doorstep.

If you want to see iconic sights and a mix of cultures, then dig deeper into your pockets, and research much more deeply, for a more memorable cruise in Europe.

Artemis makes a valid point about embarkation & disembarkation ports. Places like Venice, Rome, Barcelona, Athens, Istanbul. There's so much to see that its difficult to do such places justice in a single port day. So instead of a 14 day cruise, consider an 11-day with three hotel-based days at the start or finish of your cruise.

All just MHO as always, and there will be exceptions to every rule.

JB :)

John Bull essentially nailed it. I might add that the price differential results from the much greater carrying capacity in the Caribbean cruising season - ships which operate all over during the rest of the year are really concentrated in the Caribbean in that season - as well as the lower port costs due to the greater hunger of the local economies for the business cruise ships bring. Cruise ship passengers represent a much smaller percentage of economic activity in European ports.

Hi JB (we have actually met), My post was references the actual cruise itinerary (the Vision only does one Med cruise in April) so the port comments were specific to the itinerary. We do agree with JB that exchanging currency on a ship is going to usually get you a relatively lousy rate. In fact, on our recent Princess cruise (where they actually have a currency exchange machine) we noticed that actual exchange rates reflected more then a 7% penalty plus an additional fee. Using an ATM will get us the wholesale rate of exchange less a 1% International Transaction Fee (built into the exchange rate). And since our Banks/Credit Union do not charge any additional ATM fees we essentially only pay 1% for foreign currency. And by the way, all the ports on that 4/26 Vision sailing utilize the Euro.

Hank

Hi JB (we have actually met), My post was references the actual cruise itinerary (the Vision only does one Med cruise in April) so the port comments were specific to the itinerary. We do agree with JB that exchanging currency on a ship is going to usually get you a relatively lousy rate. In fact, on our recent Princess cruise (where they actually have a currency exchange machine) we noticed that actual exchange rates reflected more then a 7% penalty plus an additional fee. Using an ATM will get us the wholesale rate of exchange less a 1% International Transaction Fee (built into the exchange rate). And since our Banks/Credit Union do not charge any additional ATM fees we essentially only pay 1% for foreign currency. And by the way, all the ports on that 4/26 Vision sailing utilize the Euro.

Hank

Hi Hank,

According to a website in front of me Vision has a season of Med cruises, April thru October 2015. (can't post the schedule, it's a TA website)

But yes, a lot of the itineraries are interesting but unusual in that they include comparatively-infrequently visited ports like Amalfi (I wonder if they truly mean Amalfi, or mebbe that's TA-speak for Salerno ;)), Ravenna, Messina, Kotor. So a greater proportion than usual of out-of-the-way or tender ports.

Well that's my story & I'm sticking to it :D

Good health & happy cruisin' in the New Year :)

As a person who does NOT like the heat, you should consider the time of year and region. We visited Rome in Oct/Nov and I couldn't imagine having to deal with the crowds and lines in the warmer months. We have been to England and the central and northern countries in Europe in May-June and the weather was absolutely wonderful- 60's to high 70's- perfect for walking. Don't rule out the more northern regions of Europe.

Speaking as an American, I LOVE European travel in order to meet so many interesting people around the world. I just came off a Caribbean cruise where the passengers were pretty unfriendly and not social. We hooked up with a lovely British couple who had never experienced that before and so it wasn't just our opinion.

Like others said, the MDR gives you chances to meet interesting people and they will typically all speak English quite well. Those that don't usually ask to be isolated at their own table.

I prefer to save my cruise $ to travel to Europe which is of course more expensive. Since I don't like the sun or heat, the Caribbean isn't that appealing and it seems like one island is sort of like the other after a while.

Unless you are on a Europe cruise line like Costa it will be English only.

I have been on a Costa in the Caribbean and announcements where made in five languages. On five Europe cruises and three river cruise, everything was in English.

Unless you are on a Europe cruise line like Costa it will be English only.

I have been on a Costa in the Caribbean and announcements where made in five languages. On five Europe cruises and three river cruise, everything was in English.

It does somewhat depend on the mix of the passengers, and the cruise line, I think. We've been on several cruises that had announcements in two or three languages, and of course Costa, with five or six.

Biggest differences for us are port intensity, distance to city from port, and currency. Med cruises typically have a port almost every day, and the distance to the city from the port can be an hour or so. This can make for a full and exhausting day. Plus you will generally not be able to use USD for port purchases, so you've got to get Euros or whatever other currency you might need.

Thanks...we will be spending some time in Barcelona before the cruise so we will be able to get our Euros there if we run out. We will be taking our time while in Barcelona so that we are rested for the adventure on the cruise.

Definitely agree with above poster. The good thing is that you can exchange currency at guest relations and at a fair cost.

I've done maybe 7 Caribbean/Bermuda cruises and 1 Mediterranean. The biggest difference, as stated above, is that Med was really port intensive. You want to take advantage of all of the great ports (especially since in my case, it was an once in the lifetime experience).

We barely saw the ship because we were so exhausted at the end of the tours that we spent a lot of time in our room, resting. We also barely took advantage of the pool and didn't take any shows.

Since Athens was so important to me (was the one place I always wanted to visit) I set up a private tour with a large group from Roll Call. We had our own tour guide in a small bus and she took us anywhere we wanted and made suggestions, it was lovely. If was cheaper than going through the cruise ship and we got to see some locations the cruise ship groups cant get to. I can give the information of the tour company I used if anyone is interested.

Also since you're making such a long trip there, I highly recommend spending additional time outside of the cruise in Europe. We did a few days in London before going to Rome because our flights to Rome were limited from Philadelphia. We then spent a few days in Rome after the cruise at a great B&B near the Vatican.

It was truly an unforgettable trip. Not really a relaxing one, but still incredible.

Great tips. We are staying in Barcelona for a few days prior to the cruise. We are trying to make the most of our time because it is so far away. Thanks!

We assume you are talking about the 4/26 cruise which is very port intensive (only 1 sea day). Menus are similar in the Med, and in fact, much of the food products are shipped in from the US via containers. If there are any large groups of non-English passengers you might find that announcements are in multiple language, but they are generally only in English.

The big difference is the ports and how you want to handle your port days. Unlike the more relaxing Caribbean ports, the Med can be exhausting for many...so the ships tend to be quieter after 10 then you would find in the Caribbean (folks need their sleep for the long port days).

You do have some issues with your schedule, particularly in Villefranche (Nice). This is a tender port and you are scheduled to arrive at 9:30. If you want to do things on your own (we always do our own thing in Europe) it can be a real problem since its a tender port. It can easily take 2 hours to get everyone ashore (depending on sea conditions). Messina also has an issue because it is scheduled as an afternoon port day. Many folks will take tours to the hilltop resort town of Taormina....but like most of Italy, many of the shops will be closed during the afternoon. But its still a wonderful place to visit, has great views, there are plenty of touristy places open for shopping, and the Greco Roman Amphitheater will be open for visits.

Also keep in mind that late April is normally relatively cool so none of these ports are going to be good for swimming. We normally like to go to the beach in Ajaccio, but not in late April :).

Hank

Thanks for the great recommendations. We planned this cruise as our alternate week in Europe. The first and most important (once in a lifetime) event is for my husband to watch Messi play at Camp Nou. We will be making this a great experience...we are praying he doesn't get injured and will be on the field that day;)

Although I broadly agree with other posters, perhaps some of the differences have been over-emphasised?

Yes, the Med is usually - but not always - more port-intensive. You can of course skip a port & stay on the ship instead though that would be a waste, the whole point of a Med cruise is to see the sights.

Only a few of the Med ports are some distance from destinations. eg Rome (1hr plus), Athens (30 mins), Florence (1.5 hrs), Olympia (40 mins).

Ditto "industrial" ports at a few destinations.

Hank mentioned tender ports - sorry Hank but I reckon the number of tender ports no greater than in the Caribbean, though of course that depends on itineraries. Most Med tender port operations are done by local boats rather than ship's own tenders and they're generally much quicker.

Most ports are pretty close & easy to destinations, but for those which aren't it's something to bear in mind when considering how much you can see in a port day.

Yes, of course intensive sight-seeing is more exhausting but I've not known ships to be quiet by 10pm, or evening shows to be poorly attended. That's something I associate more with cruisers' age-ranges than with destinations.

Language is no problem. On Med cruises that I've taken (US as well as UK ships) the majority of passengers have spoken English as a first-language, many others had good English, those without English tended to keep together. Yes, several languages on the tannoys (English first) but evening shows, quizzes, signage etc paid only lip-service to other languages, and the crew are broadly the same folk who sail the Caribbean. A minor problem only for those who don't speak English. (roles are reversed on Italian & Spanish ships).

For fixed dining, the Maitre D earns his crust by ensuring that everyone on shared tables speaks the same language. For any-time we've always been happy to share tables, but sharing only with those who speak English - sometimes that's been with folk who speak English as a second language and that makes for a more interesting evening.

Even some Europeans like an early evening meal, I can't imagine a first-sitting after 6.30pm, and later wouldn't tie in with the latest second sitting around 8.30pm. Only difference is that second sitting may be more heavily subscribed than first - the opposite of my Caribbean experiences.

Food is much as for Caribbean cruises, though often the kitchen brigade will add a dish or two with a local flavour.

Currency of US ships remains USD.

The currency in most Med countries is the Euro and the Euro is widely accepted in many (but not all) tourist destinations outside the Eurozone. Not vastly different to the USD being king in the Caribbean, though you do need to research acceptability in each port.

I find ships' exchange rates very poor. For us Brits it's better to buy before we leave home, but I've heard that banks & exchange bureaux in the US offer poor rates, & the advice I've seen on this forum has always to use ATMs in the ports for cash, & to pay with plastic for significant purchases.

Yes cruise prices, regardless of airfares, are higher in Europe. Partly because of more & higher port fees, but I suspect mainly because due to exchange rates etc. Europe is more expensive generally than the US or Caribbean, so expect that to also be reflected in on-shore costs.

This is particularly true of hiring a taxi on the quayside for a tour. A cheap option in the Caribbean but a no-no in Europe, where hailing a taxi is only economical for a short hop such as from ship to rail station. If you want a private tour, you fix it in advance at an agreed price.

Best options in the Med are shared vans & car rentals via CC's RollCalls, or using public transport - trains, buses, trams, ferries, ho-ho buses, all way better than in the US.

If you want a lazy relaxing vacation with plenty of beach & water-sport time, the Caribbean is better, cheaper, & on your doorstep.

If you want to see iconic sights and a mix of cultures, then dig deeper into your pockets, and research much more deeply, for a more memorable cruise in Europe.

Artemis makes a valid point about embarkation & disembarkation ports. Places like Venice, Rome, Barcelona, Athens, Istanbul. There's so much to see that its difficult to do such places justice in a single port day. So instead of a 14 day cruise, consider an 11-day with three hotel-based days at the start or finish of your cruise.

All just MHO as always, and there will be exceptions to every rule.

Wow great advice. We have some Europe knowledge, have been to a few places. Yes, it is more expensive but such a unique experience to what we have in Canada. We were looking for a change from the Caribbean and are staying a few days in Barcelona pre-cruise. Should be fun! Thanks for your help.

A big thanks to all the great info and quick responses. I've been doing some research so that we can get the most out of our time in Europe. We will be back again, no doubt. This will be our first cruise in Europe so this will decide if we continue to cruise our just do land based vacations here. We are staying 9 days pre-cruise in Barcelona renting 2 apartments in different locations to get the most out of our time there. It doesn't hurt to try something new;)

We have done many Med cruises after cruising the Caribbean when we were younger. We aren't much for laying in the sun on sea days anymore. We have found that we don't have to knock ourselves out seeing everything-- everyday. If we do a long tour one day, hopefully the next day's port is one we can do ourselves. Some of our best memories are of just walking around and exploring. The Med. is much more expensive especially when you factor in the air. The ports are more exciting for us, at this stage in our lives. I think that's why you see more older people on the Med. cruises---their interests change.