Fort lauderdale air fare April 2014

rescue111b

Three words:

Supply and Demand.

Econ 101.....people want to travel to SoFla. There is a relatively inelastic supply with higher demand. Put those together and you get higher pricing.

For a more micro-econ look....try looking at the price for flights leaving MIA at 7am on a Saturday/Sunday morning and prices for the same routing after noon. Demand at work.

Airfares in general are higher, not just BOS-FLL. Airlines have pulled seats (reduced supply), airline mergers (less competition), and airlines collectively figuring out they can't sell below cost and make it up in volume (more discipline).

United decided they were releasing too many cheap fares too early. United fares have gone up as a result. I suspect the other carriers are also tinkering with their yield management.

Fares have been unsustainably low. Airlines have started to be profitable, and as near as I can tell, have no real interest in fare wars to the detriment of the airlines.

Agree with CruiserBruce, what do you consider high? What dates? Do you require a non-stop? Do you have any carrier preferences/dislikes? Any particular arrival/departure times? I see Jetblue for $333 PP R/T, but you get back to Boston at 11:04PM. If you want to arrive back at 3:49 PM, it'll cost $528 (I just picked Apr 4 and Apr 12). Do you want cheapest, or are you willing to pay for convenience?

I have found the FLL airfares much higher, also. I am looking to fly around the 10th of April (Spring Break over around here) and it is twice as much as I am paying to fly the same route in January. I have been looking for months now and have not seen any significant increase or decrease (maybe a couple of dollars) during that time.

It doesn't appear to be spring break in either the Boston or the Florida area.

If connecting flights are being considered, then one would need to consider that it could be spring break anywhere in the country, rather than just looking at the OP's departure and arrival areas.

Bottom line: As Flyertalker said, it comes down to supply and demand. Understanding WHY the fare is "high" doesn't really matter if the OP has already decided this is when and where they want to travel. It is what it is, and understanding why won't change it.