How close is the new SF cruise terminal to Pier 39?

Jagggg

While some people feel it's an easy 10 minute walk, I think it's going to be dependent on the person's age, stamina, and whether s/he has luggage and how much.

As far as the street car is concerned the cars are fairly narrow, and again, the luggage comes into play.

Edited by Treven

I know SF very well, born there, worked for 30 years near the port... how walk able it is does depend on whether you are normally a "walker", whether you have luggage, the weather (cold and windy, or sunny and warm, area has good and bad days). I would guess it is about 3/4 to 1 mile as suggested here.

As far as taking one of the old street car. this also depends on how many tourists are in town, sometimes these cars are packed and you can't get on, they are narrow as well and not really equipped to deal with luggage well.

It has been awhile since I have been to Pier 39.... last time I was not

impressed, really just another tourist trap. Unfortunately that is true for most SF wharf area but if you are a walker, the weather is nice, it is a fun place to simply walk around, some great views and fun people watching.

Walking directions on google earth, showed distance at .4 tenths of a mile and an 8 to 9 minute walk

You're right! I stand corrected. There's a photo that calls the ferry terminal to the south pier 39. When I asked for walking directions, I got the same answer you did. :eek:

It's a hike.

Depends on what you call a hike. We walk down to Pier 39 all the time when we cruise out of San Francisco. We also park our car at 55 Francisco, walk to the pier, turn our luggage in, then head down to Pier 39. We usually get to the parking garage early and leave our luggage in the car and do our walking around. We're in our mid 60's, but we walk 6 miles a day, so it's easy for us. We never take the elevator either. A hike to us is walking up the highest street in San Francisco.:rolleyes:

We cruised from the old SF cruise pier last year before the new terminal was ready. Even from there, Pier 39 was not that long a walk for a capable adult walker in good weather. The new terminal is even closer.

Taking the F-Line streetcar is absurd from there. The time waiting would be about the same as just walking IMHO. These historic streetcars are NOT handicap accessible. (Well, some might be but most are not.)

We cruised from the old SF cruise pier last year before the new terminal was ready. Even from there, Pier 39 was not that long a walk for a capable adult walker in good weather. The new terminal is even closer.

Taking the F-Line streetcar is absurd from there. The time waiting would be about the same as just walking IMHO. These historic streetcars are NOT handicap accessible. (Well, some might be but most are not.)

Actually, the new terminal is about twice as far.:)

The new terminal is much farther away.

Yes, it's further away, but not that further away. We've seen people all the time with their luggage down on Pier 39 waiting to catch the ferry to Vallejo. If one doesn't enjoy walking on flat asphalt, seeing the sights, then it's best to stay at the cruise pier and people watch. Excursions are probably more problematic for someone who can't walk from the cruise pier to Pier 39.