Type of chairs on the balconies

Du vent dans les voiles

Hello there,

We are pretty new to cruising, have only cruised with Celebrity but we are considering Princess.

We would be interested in a veranda or a mini suite, do the chairs on the balcomies recline or not and are there footstools?

We like to spend a lot of time on our balcony and having back issues want to be confortable.

Thanks for your help,

Josée

I have had balconies, but only on Baja deck. My experience has been the chairs are a blue woven material, a high back sit up chair, not a lounger and no footstool. Although some decks have a blue matching footstool. I guess if you pay more it comes with it :) But I really have seen no loungers recently. Use to, but that changed a while back. Still I would not count Princess out because of that. There are plenty of loungers around the ship.

Deluxe balcony cabins are just a bit larger than standard balcony cabins. They have a love seat that folds out to a single bed on one wall with a desk & refrigerator on the opposite wall. Standard balconies have a 3-drawer desk (where the loveseat is in deluxes) and a refrigerator with 3 small side shelves on the opposite wall plus an extra chair. Unless you get one of the "special" balconies under the sea-walk/sea-view, there is no difference in the actual size of the balconies between standard balcony cabins and deluxe balcony cabins. It just boils down to what you desire more, a loveseat and a bit more space (sacrificing drawer and shelf space) in the deluxe or more storage capability sacrificing the loveseat in the standard.

CIMG2878.jpg

Deluxe Balcony Cabin - Small fold-out love seat next to bed/nightstand

CIMG2879.jpg

Deluxe Balcony Desk, Refrigerator and drawer with hair drier in it. This balcony is a bit larger than normal as it's on the aft side of the forward point extension under the sea-walk.

CIMG3650.jpg

Standard Balcony Cabin - Three drawer desk instead of loveseat

CIMG3651.jpg

Standard Balcony Refrigerator with 3 side shelves

Picture #2 shows the chairs.

They do recline but I think only deluxe balconies and above get the footstools.

On our recent cruise I used the small table to put my feet on.

Deluxe balcony is only on Royal and Regal. It has a small sofa where the regular balcony cabins have a chair. The outside space is the same as the rest of the cabins. On Royal and Regal most balconies are small - 9 ft by 4 ft unless in a full suite or in the section of the ship under the seawalks.

The other ships have different outside balcony area configurations than Royal and Regal.

On the grand class ships the balconies are different sized depending on cabin type and deck. Most minisuites on grand class ships have large balconies - but those on Dolphin decks are full sun and in full view of the decks above. A few minis on Emerald deck have fully covered balconies. On grand class some balcony cabins have bigger outside areas than others depending on what deck they are on. Caribe deck generally have the largest outdoor spaces, half covered by the deck above and half open. There are lots of photos online showing the stepped structure of these ships.

Coral and Island Princess are different from all of the above, and so are the small ships - different from all of the above.

If you tell us what ship you are considering, we can provide more info.

Deluxe balcony is only on Royal and Regal. It has a small sofa where the regular balcony cabins have a chair. The outside space is the same as the rest of the cabins. On Royal and Regal most balconies are small - 9 ft by 4 ft unless in a full suite or in the section of the ship under the seawalks.

The other ships have different outside balcony area configurations than Royal and Regal.

On the grand class ships the balconies are different sized depending on cabin type and deck. Most minisuites on grand class ships have large balconies - but those on Dolphin decks are full sun and in full view of the decks above. A few minis on Emerald deck have fully covered balconies. On grand class some balcony cabins have bigger outside areas than others depending on what deck they are on. Caribe deck generally have the largest outdoor spaces, half covered by the deck above and half open. There are lots of photos online showing the stepped structure of these ships.

Coral and Island Princess are different from all of the above, and so are the small ships - different from all of the above.

If you tell us what ship you are considering, we can provide more info.

Thank you cruisintoddler for your input.

For now we are just looking at what Princess has to offer. We have only sailed on the Celebrity Equinox but like people often say here on cruise critic we are more interested in discovering new destinations than remaining loyal to a cruiseline.

Cheers,

Josée

I have had balconies, but only on Baja deck. My experience has been the chairs are a blue woven material, a high back sit up chair, not a lounger and no footstool. Although some decks have a blue matching footstool. I guess if you pay more it comes with it :) But I really have seen no loungers recently. Use to, but that changed a while back. Still I would not count Princess out because of that. There are plenty of loungers around the ship.

If you are on the Royal/Reagl, non suite chairs are different and are terrible.....

Bob

I've finally started to bring a blow-up pillow for the rock- hard balcony chairs, which helps a little. The problem with the footstools is that they are too low for comfort ( but look great when placed under the chairs.)

After reading so many complaints on here about the new chairs (which I think are now on ALL Princess ships) I expected them to be terrible but actually found them quite comfortable.

As I said, we had one of the smaller balconies, so we didn't have a footstool but the table sufficed.

And Josee, all Princess ships have some balcony cabins designated as "deluxe".

They are between regular balconies and mini suites in pricing. The inside of the cabins on everything except the Royal and Regal are the same in regular and deluxe but the location and the size of the balcony can cause the "deluxe" pricing.

e.g. - We like to sail in aft cabins (C752, C753, etc. on the older ships) . Those used to be just regular balcony cabins but Princess got wise and re-designated them last year to "deluxe".

they are now B4 - premium balcony

we have C753 Westbound on the Golden :)

Sorry - I guess I confused premium with deluxe.

Price wise I'd bet they're similarly placed between regular balconies and mini suites, though.

So can you go up on deck and take a couple loungers if you have a balcony that has room? Or could you ask your room steward? I would like to know the answer also as we have a larger balcony on the Carribe deck for our upcomming trip.

So can you go up on deck and take a couple loungers if you have a balcony that has room? Or could you ask your room steward? I would like to know the answer also as we have a larger balcony on the Carribe deck for our upcomming trip.

They frown on moving the furniture.

This is not permitted as its a fire hazard now after the Star Princess fire.

• 2 months later...
Hello there,

We are pretty new to cruising, have only cruised with Celebrity but we are considering Princess.

We would be interested in a veranda or a mini suite, do the chairs on the balcomies recline or not and are there footstools?

We like to spend a lot of time on our balcony and having back issues want to be confortable.

Thanks for your help,

Josée

You get 2 regular upright chairs and a small table in a 'Verandah' and you get that plus 2 lounge chairs in a 'Suite'

You get 2 regular upright chairs and a small table in a 'Verandah' and you get that plus 2 lounge chairs in a 'Suite'

Suites - full suites - get much nicer furniture: 2 cushioned teak lounge chairs and an end table plus a dining table and cushioned teak chairs for 4. When we were on the Royal in a full suite the furniture wasn't teak (some kind of cheap wood) and the table only sat two but I've recently seen Royal/Regal suite balcony pictures with different furniture (aluminum or cast iron with thick cushions). The mini suites we were in on 3 cruises on the Ruby last year also had 2 footstools - and I seem to remember them on other mini-suite balconies over the last few years.

Here are some pictures. This is in my experience only and I haven't been on the Royal or Regal yet, so the pictures are from the older ships.

First picture is a balcony cabin. 2 non-reclining chairs and small table. Sorry, this is the old furniture before replacement. Disregard.

Second picture is a mini-suite with 2 reclining chairs, two footstools and table.

Third and fourth pictures are from a full suite.

Hope this helps. All balcony and mini furniture is horribly uncomfortable to me.

DSCN0010.jpg.f0ceba0dde07bce60743af95f161d00a.jpg

DSCN0439.jpg.178fa91035c1640ae1bd3ee042e7ce26.jpg

DSCN1210.jpg.002d86db131b056641de694fc8f2ef24.jpg

DSCN1211.jpg.6a86876eee63dfd029595e2ad0e74ca3.jpg

Edited by KruzPrincess

Below is another picture of the mini furniture with the footstools. I can't seem to find a picture of the current veranda balcony furniture.

I found this thread when the new furniture showed up about the new furniture on a Caribe balcony. There is a picture in post #1 in the thread. Eventually, Princess changed out the small table for a larger table. Here's the link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1593096

DSCF0762.jpg.84b4a86adca5e41a40cc8b5a93cb8d11.jpg

Edited by KruzPrincess