Silhouette Drydock

Shermcruiser

Grand Bahama Shipyards in Freeport.

She'll likely leave Everglades ~~noon-ish Or shortly thereafter Sunday 4th. That would have her properly set-up in the dry dock no later than midnight, IMO.

Cheers

I wonder if they will be converting Cellar Masters into the new Gastro Pub during this drydock???

I was wondering the same thing, it's not like they took the ship out of service immediately upon finding the propulsion problem. They've had enough time to get all supplies etc together, especially since its almost the same as what they did on Eclipse.

1 week is a LOT of time, when they have 800 crew to clean and help, plus the shipyard. I would not be worried, but happy to have a deep cleaned ship and a somewhat rested crew, who have generally had evenings off for a week.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I'm booked on the January 11 sailing of Silhouette - is the one week drydock, located in the Bahamas, really enough time to get the work done and then back to Ft. Lauderdale for the 11th sailing? Should I be worried?

You should be fine. These repairs/refits are done quite well.

1 week is a LOT of time, when they have 800 crew to clean and help, plus the shipyard. I would not be worried, but happy to have a deep cleaned ship and a somewhat rested crew, who have generally had evenings off for a week.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Agreed! I have been looking forward to the fact the ship should be in top-top/spotless shape - but I had no idea the drydock wasn't actually in Ft. Lauderdale. Thanks for the response! So excited about this trip.

Agreed! I have been looking forward to the fact the ship should be in top-top/spotless shape - but I had no idea the drydock wasn't actually in Ft. Lauderdale. Thanks for the response! So excited about this trip.

Freeport to FLL is less than 100 miles, or only about 5-6 hours sailing at considerably less than top speed.

Have a great trip!

Happy sailing,

Jenna

The '' usual '' proper repair job for those azipod-related ailments ( have been quite frequent over the past 14+ years ) takes roughly 95 hours in drydock. ( open the entire unit,access the faulty bearing, remove, change, inspect, seal unit,etc.etc....)So, one week away to Freeport and back to Port everglades is ample time. While this work goes on, the ship also gets a class hull treatment. However, I doubt they would have enough time to do the Cellar Master conversion to GastroPub. If they did, you can bet Gastro Pub might not be quite ready for the 11jan sailing:rolleyes::rolleyes:...

Cheers

The '' usual '' proper repair job for those azipod-related ailments ( have been quite frequent over the past 14+ years ) takes roughly 95 hours in drydock. ( open the entire unit,access the faulty bearing, remove, change, inspect, seal unit,etc.etc....)So, one week away to Freeport and back to Port everglades is ample time. While this work goes on, the ship also gets a class hull treatment. However, I doubt they would have enough time to do the Cellar Master conversion to GastroPub. If they did, you can bet Gastro Pub might not be quite ready for the 11jan sailing:rolleyes::rolleyes:...

Cheers

Just curious how you know the details of the azipod repairs? Do you have a Maritime Propulsion background?

Edited by emcee207

Just curious how you know the details of the azipod repairs? Do you have a Maritime Propulsion background?

No. However, I'm a ''operationally/mechanically'' curious chap. Since those types of azipods-related issues became almost a routine scenario, I've learned a lot from those posters who DO know a thing or two about maritime propulsion, as well as researching for myself to clarify some loose issues I didn't quite understand. As well, working at the pier has helped me pick up some instructive answers to motivated questions. I also two good acquaintances who work in shipyards, and have dealt with the issues we're talking about, thus my comments on what's involved , step-wise as well as time-wise, in dealing with a typical '' premature wearing of the radial forward thrust bearing'' ( as it became to be referred to in various threads)..

Cruise Critic ,if you swift thru the various posts & threads on the subject, is a wonderful resource to study those things ( if one is interested in such things in the first place...!!! :rolleyes:)

So...that's why I usually preface my comments with '' IMO''...which I of course to do here !!!:D

Cheers

Cheers

Hi.

Do you think this current Freeport drydock will totally fix the propulsion system of the Silhouette which has been causing the shortening or missing docking time in San Juan, Puerto Rico?

(Had to limit the ship top speed because of the propeller?)

I wish Celebrity would fully update customers to what is going on.

Hi.

Do you think this current Freeport drydock will totally fix the propulsion system of the Silhouette which has been causing the shortening or missing docking time in San Juan, Puerto Rico?

(Had to limit the ship top speed because of the propeller?)

I wish Celebrity would fully update customers to what is going on.

That's exactly what this dry dock is for. Celebrity announced it long ago, it's been discussed ad nauseam on here. The ship went into drydock on January 4 and will be out this week and leaving on its next cruise on Sunday, January 11. There's the update. Not sure what more you expect.

That's exactly what this dry dock is for. Celebrity announced it long ago, it's been discussed ad nauseam on here. The ship went into drydock on January 4 and will be out this week and leaving on its next cruise on Sunday, January 11. There's the update. Not sure what more you expect.

Thank-you Turtles06.

Are you assuming it was fully repaired or do you know for certain?

Just saying, it would be really nice for Celebrity to issue an official statement . . .

I was also looking for an update. Just to see if any other changes were made during the dry dock. I read some rumors about getting the gastropub. We sail on her on the 25th and are excited to meet her.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank-you Turtles06.

Are you assuming it was fully repaired or do you know for certain?

Just saying, it would be really nice for Celebrity to issue an official statement . . .

Really? The official statement will be the Silhouette taking on passengers on Sunday. :)

Really? The official statement will be the Silhouette taking on passengers on Sunday. :)

Sorry, I mean no disrespect, but I don't necessarily agree. As an upcoming passenger of the Silhouette, I, too, am very eager to hear that the azipod issue has been completely rectified. Sometimes, repairs (whether planned or not) can run amuck and either other issues are identified during the process and not yet repairable, or unavailable parts, etc.

While I like your optimism, I don't necessarily think that the Silhouette taking on passengers on Sunday automatically means that the azipod issue has been 100% fixed. I don't expect that Celebrity will be giving us a play by play of the week and confirming what is being done, but it doesn't mean that we aren't interested in knowing... :D

Edited by mlrandpkm

I WILL be boarding this Sunday and have complete confidence that the ship will be in excellent mechanical condition. The repairs/replacement would not take a week and they probably left a day or two for a sea trial. Why would Celebrity take Silhouette out of service for a week, lose revenue and not do the work completely and properly? Why would they even take the slightest risk that would result in the loss of more time and revenue? Some can worry, I'm packing!

I WILL be boarding this Sunday and have complete confidence that the ship will be in excellent mechanical condition. The repairs/replacement would not take a week and they probably left a day or two for a sea trial. Why would Celebrity take Silhouette out of service for a week, lose revenue and not do the work completely and properly? Why would they even take the slightest risk that would result in the loss of more time and revenue? Some can worry, I'm packing!

Oh, I agree, I don't think they would plan to take it out of service for a week, lose revenue and not do the work completely and properly. However, sometimes things can go wrong. Worried? No. But certainly interested to hear once it's all finished and as good as new again.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Oh, I agree, I don't think they would plan to take it out of service for a week, lose revenue and not do the work completely and properly. However, sometimes things can go wrong. Worried? No. But certainly interested to hear once it's all finished and as good as new again.

Enjoy your cruise!!

I will try to report from the ship. By the way, they are using the "suggested" boarding time plan. Sent both calls and emails to notify passengers.