Alaska Cruise

emaksb

We went Memorial Day week this year and per the on board naturalist, had basically "perfect weather;" by that I think he meant "no rain!". It was overcast and misty in Seattle when we pulled out of port but the rest of the time it was partly cloudy to sunny.

The temperature most days was a high in the mid 50's - 60's, but we found that 65, really felt like 75 and 55 really felt like 65. We are from SE VA, so by no means a cold or hot area of the country so think I have a good feel on that point. I was in a t-shirt in jeans in port 2 days, and just wore a fleece in Juneau and at night in Vancouver. The key is to have layers that can be taken off and put in a back pack. It will be chilly on deck so I always had a fleece around and at times my waterproof mid insulated jacked.

That time of the year has the longest days, so the sun did not go down until after 10 pm and was up before 4 am.

We sailed the sunday before Memorial Day 2012, it was cold and rainy most days but there was some time with sunshine on the last day I actually got a little sunburn while playing most of the day in the pool with the kids. Luckily the rain was alway light but it was cold most days and the seas cause the captain to adjust course a few times. We made every port but missed some of the scenic sailing.

The whale watching was great that time of the year, we saw dozens of whale including a pod of 40 orcas.

I vote June/July... for weather.

• Alaskan ports are drier in May/June
  • Vancouver/Seattle is driest mid-July to mid-August

I guess early July is the happy medium...

I was not happy with August for AK rain on my trips, but had to go those dates because of work. Friends who went in September saved money, but found it stormy in ports.

We had a cold, wet trip in August, too. Fortunately, my last stop before boarding was Mountain Equipment to buy a rain jacket. I thought that would guarantee a dry trip...not.

We're looking to book a Alaskan cruise in 2016. What time of the year would be best for weather and prices?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

we went is September and was very cheap. Kinda rainy that week but not too bad.

I hope you consider other cruise lines besides Carnival for Alaska.:)

Bill

I hope you consider other cruise lines besides Carnival for Alaska.:)

Bill

agreed. carnival is not the cheapest or best option for Alaska...do a comparison and remember that inside ammenities matter more on an alaska trip than on a warm weather trip :-)

We've done Alaska twice. Once on Celebrity in early July and the other on HAL in mid June.

It was pouring down rain and freezing the entire July trip and sunny and beautiful in the June one. There's a lot more to an Alaska cruise than the weather, we preferred the July trip.

Time of year really does not matter, you will enjoy it regardless. However I too would recommend you look into other lines besides Carnival. Would also suggest looking into a 1-way cruise and even a cruise tour.

We sailed the first week in June. Clear skies and temps in the 60's most of the week! Couldn't have asked for better weather! (And prices were still much cheaper than July-August).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We went Memorial Day week this year and per the on board naturalist, had basically "perfect weather;" by that I think he meant "no rain!". It was overcast and misty in Seattle when we pulled out of port but the rest of the time it was partly cloudy to sunny.

The temperature most days was a high in the mid 50's - 60's, but we found that 65, really felt like 75 and 55 really felt like 65. We are from SE VA, so by no means a cold or hot area of the country so think I have a good feel on that point. I was in a t-shirt in jeans in port 2 days, and just wore a fleece in Juneau and at night in Vancouver. The key is to have layers that can be taken off and put in a back pack. It will be chilly on deck so I always had a fleece around and at times my waterproof mid insulated jacked.

That time of the year has the longest days, so the sun did not go down until after 10 pm and was up before 4 am.

This is exactly what our was weather was like. Except we went September 6th through the 13th. We had zero rain and amazing visibility. I think might have actually enjoyed it it was a little cooler. And I think it was the second cheapest cruise. Earlier in the season you can sometimes get locked out of some of the glacier cruising.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Forums mobile app

We are starting to research this and keep hearing better to do one way cruise to see more of Alaska than round trip via Carnival.

Absolutely correct. Carnival's itinerary in Alaska is poor. It's a midweek roundtrip and it goes to Tracy Arm (very little glacier viewing, if any).

You are better off sailing on Princess or Holland America who have been sailing Alaskan waters the longest (Holland started sailing there before it even became a state!). They have the most ships and the most varied itineraries, including land tours. Most importantly, they have the most permits to go into Glacier Bay which is a must, specially on a first cruise to Alaska. We sailed on Holland for out first Alaska cruise and it was beyond amazing!

We went mid-July and spent 3 days in Seattle pre-cruise. We had absolutely beautiful weather in Seattle - sunny and warm, no rain. (The locals kept telling us how unusual the weather was!) On the cruise itself, the only damp, cloudy day was Juneau - and even that wasn't bad, since the rain quit fairly early in the day. We did the catamaran tour in Tracy Arm and made it all the way to both glaciers. That was probably the coldest part of our cruise.

Absolutely correct. Carnival's itinerary in Alaska is poor. It's a midweek roundtrip and it goes to Tracy Arm (very little glacier viewing, if any).

You are better off sailing on Princess or Holland America who have been sailing Alaskan waters the longest (Holland started sailing there before it even became a state!). They have the most ships and the most varied itineraries, including land tours. Most importantly, they have the most permits to go into Glacier Bay which is a must, specially on a first cruise to Alaska. We sailed on Holland for out first Alaska cruise and it was beyond amazing!

We have learned over the years that private tours are better, cheaper and less crowded than the ones thru the cruise lines.

Work that way for Alaska also?

We have learned over the years that private tours are better, cheaper and less crowded than the ones thru the cruise lines.

Work that way for Alaska also?

Personally I do a combination...

• the main difference is RISK of missing the boat due to traffic congestion and weather. There's been a few incidents where sudden weather change will mean a plane is a unable to return on time. Some tours have you go a significant distance from the boat (hours!).
  • if the tour is sold out... private tours are plan B
  • don't people on cruise tours get off the boat first with an earlier start?
  • Mt Roberts tram is best "private". Weather (clouds) change every 15 minutes. If it's clear, I will walk over to the tram to buy a ticket. If it's fogged in.... I save my money and wait in town (hoping) until is clear later in the day.

Edited by xlxo

Have mine scheduled in May of 2016 on the Pearl..

Although the price is way out of bounds at the moment...I still went ahead and booked a balcony...

Hopefully the price will drop before final payment otherwise Alaska is out of the question for my budget...

One thing to consider is the you have the longest days and the latest sunsets in June. By September, days are getting shorter.

You really have to have a better idea of what you want to do in AK before you make a decision as some things are done better at specific dates.

DON

We are thinking of doing our first Alaska cruise this summer. We have cruised to the Caribbean several times already. In the past for Caribbean cruises if I didn't book very early I would wait until after final payment then book. Would this be an option on an Alaska cruise or do they book up quickly and our chances of getting a cabin is slim to none? We would prefer a balcony but any cabin would do just to be on the ship.

We are thinking of doing our first Alaska cruise this summer. We have cruised to the Caribbean several times already. In the past for Caribbean cruises if I didn't book very early I would wait until after final payment then book. Would this be an option on an Alaska cruise or do they book up quickly and our chances of getting a cabin is slim to none? We would prefer a balcony but any cabin would do just to be on the ship.

I wad told they book fast because the season is short but I know there wetter still rooms available a bit before we sailed. I'm sure in the prime months those would book faster.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

I wad told they book fast because the season is short but I know there wetter still rooms available a bit before we sailed. I'm sure in the prime months those would book faster.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Yes, I was afraid of that Mrs. Gosse. Thanks!