Tips for Tour Guides/Drivers

What is the practice regarding tipping tour guides and/or drivers in NZ/Australia? I am asking for both ship-sponsored tours as well as privately-arranged (but not really for taxi tours.)

My understanding is that tipping is much less prevalent in this area. So would appreciate guidance from the natives!

In fact, would also welcome advice on tipping in general --for meals, taxis, etc

Many thanks from this US traveler.

Edited by kinsetta

Nothing required at all. I am in that line of work and I am a driver. We are extremely well paid and do not need tips. In most areas of work we do not get anything extra as the majority of passengers are Australian and Asian if you are working in remote areas of Australia like Ayers Rock Resort or Darwin.

We often laugh and joke about tips as some people are just so stupid when it comes to it. We have to accept it with a smile to avoid offence but if and when we are driving for cruise companies and the passengers are American and we get slipped several US$1 bills, all we can do later is laugh. This money is useless to us and not worth the paper it is written on.

Tourist coach drivers are extremely well paid. That is why I got into it after my time in the military. I enjoy itinerant work and am so used to working in different locations I could not be contempt sitting in the one place for work or staying in an office. I have literally travelled the world thanks to my employment as a driver and I have even made it to elite status with Princess.

I personally am opposed to tipping in this country. I like our traditional Aussie values and cannot stand to see foreign influence like this ruin our easy going carefree way of life.

What is the practice regarding tipping tour guides and/or drivers in NZ/Australia? I am asking for both ship-sponsored tours as well as privately-arranged (but not really for taxi tours.)

My understanding is that tipping is much less prevalent in this area. So would appreciate guidance from the natives!

In fact, would also welcome advice on tipping in general --for meals, taxis, etc

Many thanks from this US traveler.

No need to tip down under,but if you feel someone has provided great service...feel free to give a little extra.

People won't laugh about a tip.....Most Australians in the service industry would appreciate it and thank you for it.

It won't be expected though.

We have been on a bus tour from a cruise ship, and the driver was excellent. We saw many people giving him a tip, and I am sure that he appreciated it.

I don't think there would be many drivers that could not use some extra cash, and would be able to either save up enough to make it worthwhile changing, or know people that would be happy to trade.

I don't think the majority of drivers would find it not worth the paper it is written on. Particularly those working for cruise ship tours.

If you are tipping at cafes/restaurants you would find many overseas people working their way around Australia, and I am sure a US dollar would be worth the paper it is written on to them also.

It is not a widespread custom here, but if you are getting good service I would do what feels comfortable.

I've been to pubs and all sorts of shops where they even put foreign currency on the wall, as a talking point, to show which customers they've served, whatever...

ahhhh that would be because it costs more than its worth to exchange it for worthwhile currency - hence it being worthless and useless and generally unwanted.

At the end of the day the appropriate response to this question is "no thank you - we are a country that has a legal minimum wage and employers do not require the general public to prop up salaries of their staff via tipping, therefore it is not and has never been required here in Australia" Full stop !

Tipping in NZ and Australia is a horrible practice that is gaining more and more traction. Because of greater influx of overseas tourists where tipping is the norm more and more of those involved in the "tourist" industry are expecting what was once a reward for extra special service to be the norm. More and more cafes for example are putting tip jars adjacent to the till.

The issue is compounded by the number of ANZACs who travel on US owned cruise ships where a 15% tip seems included on nearly every activity undertaken.

I prepay my gratuities on cruise ships and consider this as part of the overall cost. I am not averse to accepting a pre paid gratuities offer similar to the 123Go offers that Celebrity offer as an incentive to cruise.

I guess that the "gratuity" situation is part of the cost to lower up front cruising charges to attract the mass market.

It was very notable on our recent cruise out of Australia on the Celebrity Century the crew were more concerned about a favourable report on the end of cruise report which affects their future employment than a $10 - $20 tip

Both NZ and Australia have minimum wages far greater than many overseas countries. These minimum wages plus tax concessions are arguably sufficient for one to live on and thus a gratuity as a norm is not required.

It is interesting to observe that one will tip a waiter for bringing them a coffee which takes 5 minutes effort but wouldn't consider tipping a TV salesman in a department store who may spend up to an hour advising one on pros and cons of a particular brand and then help with after sales contracts and the like.

It reeks of double standards really.

Both people are on equal minimum salaries.

If some one offers special service then by all means reward them but if one only does what is expected then no extra gratuity is required.

To the OP, tips are not required in Australia as the fare is enough but they are appreciated by many (if not some). Perhaps if you feel tips are warranted or you just want to, do so in the local currency.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Tipping in NZ and Australia is a horrible practice that is gaining more and more traction. Because of greater influx of overseas tourists where tipping is the norm more and more of those involved in the "tourist" industry are expecting what was once a reward for extra special service to be the norm. More and more cafes for example are putting tip jars adjacent to the till.

The issue is compounded by the number of ANZACs who travel on US owned cruise ships where a 15% tip seems included on nearly every activity undertaken.

I prepay my gratuities on cruise ships and consider this as part of the overall cost. I am not averse to accepting a pre paid gratuities offer similar to the 123Go offers that Celebrity offer as an incentive to cruise.

I guess that the "gratuity" situation is part of the cost to lower up front cruising charges to attract the mass market.

It was very notable on our recent cruise out of Australia on the Celebrity Century the crew were more concerned about a favourable report on the end of cruise report which affects their future employment than a $10 - $20 tip

Both NZ and Australia have minimum wages far greater than many overseas countries. These minimum wages plus tax concessions are arguably sufficient for one to live on and thus a gratuity as a norm is not required.

It is interesting to observe that one will tip a waiter for bringing them a coffee which takes 5 minutes effort but wouldn't consider tipping a TV salesman in a department store who may spend up to an hour advising one on pros and cons of a particular brand and then help with after sales contracts and the like.

It reeks of double standards really.

Both people are on equal minimum salaries.

If some one offers special service then by all means reward them but if one only does what is expected then no extra gratuity is required.

I certainly agree with your comments,

On my first trip to New Zealand (1965) the government issued a leaflet pointing out that tipping was not practiced in New Zealand and many people would be offended by this demeaning practice. With so many tourists especially from the U S A the practice has crept in a little, but in both Australia and New Zealand everyone is payed adequately for the work they do, it would be a pity to have anyone relying on charity because awards were changed in the service industry to allow for charity (tips).

If someone goes out of there way and gives service well beyond what they are payed for a small thank you would be okay, but certainly not for what you have already payed for.:)

Some of our tourist operators are not backwards in soliciting gifts/tips from their customers. I know of a bus driver who drove 42 overseas visitors around the country over a number of weeks. As one can expect all these people established a close relationship. The bus driver wanted a fancy container for his cassettes that he used for the audio system on board his bus. He carried his cassettes around in a plastic bag which often broke and behold at the end of the trip his passengers gave him a gift of a fancy cassette case. Another driver never wore a watch and kept asking his passengers the time. At the end of the trip yes you guessed it he was given a watch.

Unethical you bet but none the less effective.

Some of our tourist operators are not backwards in soliciting gifts/tips from their customers. I know of a bus driver who drove 42 overseas visitors around the country over a number of weeks. As one can expect all these people established a close relationship. The bus driver wanted a fancy container for his cassettes that he used for the audio system on board his bus. He carried his cassettes around in a plastic bag which often broke and behold at the end of the trip his passengers gave him a gift of a fancy cassette case. Another driver never wore a watch and kept asking his passengers the time. At the end of the trip yes you guessed it he was given a watch.

I suppose forgetting the wallet all the time would reap so cash as well.:D

We had a tour on a mini bus in Wellington, towards the end of a great day after seeing so much of this wonderful city the driver pointed out that he would not accept tips, he had in the past so as not to upset people from the U.S.A. but it went straight in a charity box and he suggested we give what we thought it worth straight to the charity of our choice to save him doing it.

Now that man did deserve something extra.

Perhaps I should point out that my main concern is people in those industries receiving tips having their awards reduced because of the income from the tips, and even taxing them on the average extra income they are likely to receive.

I suppose the remark about Sutho was not meant kindly, if I have upset you I am truly sorry.:)

Now me I don't like the tipping culture as it exists n the uSA but can you tell me one award in Aus that has been reduced because of the income from tips, I can't and no one in Australia is taxed on the average they are likely to receive from tips.

As a former tour guide I'll throw in my 2 cents worth (which at current exchange rates is a bit over a penny):eek:

Absolutely not required or expected. And from a personal satisfaction/pride in what I do perspective I never cared how much or what currency if a tip ever was offered - I was just pleased that I had made enough impression on my guests that they felt they wanted to reward me. And those singles certainly come in handy when on holidays in the US (what goes around comes around?) or even paying for smaller items in countries like Vietnam or Thailand when you don't have local currency and will just let them keep the change.

On that topic and to answer the rest of your question, rather than tipping a set percentage or amount when in taxis or restaurants you will find that people will just leave the change. This will often end up being just 5% or an amount that would indeed be an insult in the states but here will just get put into a general "pool" and shared amongst staff if not kept by the individual. This obviously only applies when using cash - when paying by card you'd just enter your pin (or sign your slip) and that would be it. (If there are any restaurant staff out there who want to correct me on that I'm happy to be brought up to speed with current etiquette)