Doing Alaska by Alaskan Railway

hopestotravelmore

Hi All.

I need your help!

I am in the middle of planning a cruise/landtour to Alaska next year for myself and my husband. So far I have chosen Princess 14 day of the Beaten Path starting with the land part first. This holiday will cost about $12,000+. Airfares from Australia to Alaska can be over $2,000 each. This does not include shore excursions etc and food.

I am wondering if I could lower this amount by doing the land portion on our own and just doing the cruise with Princess.

I was thinking of using the Alaskan Train. After months of trolling CC, this is what I was thinking. Is it doable?

Arrive Fairbanks. Spend 2 nights in Fairbanks

Take the Alaska Railroad Denali Star Route to Denali. Then spend two nights in Denali

From Denali take the train to Talkeetna. Spend one night here.

From Talkeetna take the train to Anchorage.

Now this is where I am confused. We would like to spend a couple of days in Anchorage and also take the Alaska Railroad Coastal Classic Route to Seward. Spend just the day doing a day cruise Kenai Fjord NP and then go back to Anchorage.

Or stay in Seward for a night or two. Then catch the bus back to Anchorage. Then a bus to Whittier, for our cruise. But while in Whittier I would love to visit the Alaskan Wildlife Conservation Centre and perhaps the Portage Glacier before boarding the ship.

The trip I have planned is easy from Fairbanks to Anchorage but once there I am unsure how to see things around Seward without returning to Anchorage twice. I think you can get a coach from Talkeetna to Seward and then we could catch one to Anchorage and stay there for a day or two and then get the coach to Whittier.

What do others think?

We don’t like the idea of hiring a car. We hired a RV in New Zealand and DH hated it as he couldn’t relax while driving. I am sure he would hate to drive in Alaska due to driving on the other side. I guess I would to and the Alaskan Railroad routes sound lovely.

This is the website I have been looking at:

http://www.alaskatrain.com/

Thanks

Edited by hopestotravelmore

Well you have just eliminated the other two ideas of travel in AK so you are probably best served by the train. You will have to plan your schedule carefully as the train makes one trip each way per day - here is the website for the AKRR http://www.alaskarailroad.com/

You might also look at http://www.alaskatravel.com/ and see if they have a package that suits your needs. They will also work with you on a custom tour package - some fully guided - others more on your own where they provide you vouchers and it is up to you to do the rest.

Perhaps you should consider doing the Prince William Sound tour out of Whittier rather than the tours out of Seward.

Do you have something planned in Talkeetna? remember you will be there 24Hrs - you will also have to spend overnight in Anchorage as the southbound trains to either Whittier or Seward leave in the early AM

You should also look into what Princess offers in the way of pre cruise tours and transfers between Anchorage and the ship. They might offer stops at Portage Glacier and the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center - I know it is not the same as Seward, but unless you have time to do both it may be an alternative.

I'll only comment on the Conservation Center and Portage Glacier. (train schedules are on-line, one departure per day, so I'll assume you've checked them out to develop this itinerary).

The AWCC and Portage Glacier are best reached by car. Even tho your husband doesn't LIKE to drive, these stops are less than ONE HOUR from Anchorage so it would be well worth your time to rent a car for the day for these sights and others along the Turagain Arm. Otherwise there are transfer companies that make a stop at the AWCC on the way to Seward. Maybe consider taking a transfer TO Seward and take the train back, or VV.

Side note: if the train schedule is too limiting, look at the Park Connection Bus, which travels between Denali and Seward. They have 2 departures per day during peak season so it offers a little more flexibility with your schedule. http://www.alaskacoach.com

I like mapleleaves idea. Rent a car for one day for the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center and Portage Glacier. You could also include the tram at Alyeska Resort.

The link you provided in your original post for the train is a travel agency. The official website for the Alaska Railroad is here: http://www.alaskarailroad.com/Default.aspx?alias=www.alaskarailroad.com/travel

Hi All.

I need your help!

I am in the middle of planning a cruise/landtour to Alaska next year for myself and my husband. So far I have chosen Princess 14 day of the Beaten Path starting with the land part first. This holiday will cost about $12,000+. Airfares from Australia to Alaska can be over $2,000 each. This does not include shore excursions etc and food.

I am wondering if I could lower this amount by doing the land portion on our own and just doing the cruise with Princess.

I was thinking of using the Alaskan Train. After months of trolling CC, this is what I was thinking. Is it doable?

Arrive Fairbanks. Spend 2 nights in Fairbanks

I would rent a car and keep it for your entire land portion instead of spending money on several train trips for 2 people. However, as many of you know, I do not like train trips.

Take the Alaska Railroad Denali Star Route to Denali. Then spend two nights in Denali

See above

From Denali take the train to Talkeetna. Spend one night here.

I was to Talkeetna once. We spent maybe 2 hours there which was more than enough. The only reason to go to Talkeetna is if you are going to do a Denali flightseeing trip. Otherwise skip the whole town. It is an overrated tourist trap.

From Talkeetna take the train to Anchorage.

Now this is where I am confused. We would like to spend a couple of days in Anchorage and also take the Alaska Railroad Coastal Classic Route to Seward. Spend just the day doing a day cruise Kenai Fjord NP and then go back to Anchorage.

The SeaLife center in Seward is very much worth seeing. They also have a number of backstage tours. We have done the puffin encounter and the octopus encounter. Both were excellent

Or stay in Seward for a night or two. Then catch the bus back to Anchorage. Then a bus to Whittier, for our cruise. But while in Whittier I would love to visit the Alaskan Wildlife Conservation Centre and perhaps the Portage Glacier before boarding the ship.

If you drove from Anchorage to Seward, it is easy to see the Conservation Center and the Portage Glacier. It is hard if you do not drive

The trip I have planned is easy from Fairbanks to Anchorage but once there I am unsure how to see things around Seward without returning to Anchorage twice. I think you can get a coach from Talkeetna to Seward and then we could catch one to Anchorage and stay there for a day or two and then get the coach to Whittier.

What do others think?

The only practical way to see everything that you want to see is to drive. There is no practical way around it. Also, if you drive, you can stop as often as you wish if you see something interesting. You can not do that if you are on a train or even a bus.

We don’t like the idea of hiring a car. We hired a RV in New Zealand and DH hated it as he couldn’t relax while driving

Just remember that an RV is a really large vehicle. Driving a standard sized car is a lot easier than driving a big RV.

I am sure he would hate to drive in Alaska due to driving on the other side.

Have you actually done a "other side" driving trip. I did almost 3 months in Australia (loved it) and a month + in England and did not have any problems and did not hit anyone . The trick if you have not yet figured it out is to make sure that you rent an automatic transmission car.[/color

]I guess I would to and the Alaskan Railroad routes sound lovely.

This is the website I have been looking at:

http://www.alaskatrain.com/

Thanks

Comments above.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

These 2 links have suggested stopping points if you decide to rent a car for the day.

http://www.alaska.org/guide/turnagain-arm-drive

http://www.alaska.org/guide/portage-valley

There are interesting options at Beggich Boggs Visitor Center nr Portage Glacier.

In this link look under RELATED LINKS to see info for an ice worm safari, the trail of blue ice, Williwaw trail.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/chugach/home/?cid=stelprdb5251094

Hi Fellow Aussie - we have a trip planned for May / June this year. Just a tip or 2 - we are flying Hawaiian Air with stopovers both ways in Honolulu to cut the long haul flights up a bit, we also paid a bit more to have seats with more leg room. Also check out the prices of cruises as we found that cruising both ways was not much more expensive than flying one way from Anchorage to Vancouver. So we have booked a mini suite on the Coral Princess Vancouver to Anchorage, then returning to Vancouver in an inside cabin on Radiance of the Seas from Seward to Vancouver. We are hiring an RV for 2 weeks in between. Good luck with your planning:D

Hi all,

Thankyou for your replies. Sorry haven't answered but have been camping on the river and have no internet access.

Sounds like we will have to do alot more research and talk DH into hiring a car.

AKSTAFFORD - The link you provided in your original post for the train is a travel agency. The official website for the Alaska Railroad is here: http://www.alaskarailroad.com/Defaul...oad.com/travel

I didnt realize I had a TA website. Thankyou.

BIZZIECRUZER - Also check out the prices of cruises as we found that cruising both ways was not much more expensive than flying one way from Anchorage to Vancouver. So we have booked a mini suite on the Coral Princess Vancouver to Anchorage, then returning to Vancouver in an inside cabin on Radiance of the Seas from Seward to Vancouver.

WOW - I didn't even think of cruising both ways. Love that idea. I'll have to look into it.

Also an advantage of the 2 cruises is that we get to do Glacier Bay on the Northbound and Hubbard Glacier and Icy Strait on the southbound cruise. (We had previously done Tracey Arm 10 years ago and have heard that Glacier Bay and Hubbard are better.) Even though we double up on Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan it beats sitting on an airplane, especially after the long trip from Oz to USA. We are also trying RCL in an inside cabin. We have booked the railway from Anchorage to Seward to embark on the southbound cruise. It's now only 16 weeks till we leave!:)

Some variations....

• in addition to trying different cruise lines... some mix Vancouver with Seattle as departure/return ports to see both sides of Vancouver Island.
  • Instead of retracing Anchorage to Skagway... some take advantage of Holland America's land option via the Yukon.... http://www.hollandamerica.com/YukonDoubleDenali

Hope you have extra days planned for Vancouver...

in addition to trying different cruise lines... some mix Vancouver with Seattle as departure/return ports to see both sides of Vancouver Island.

Sorry, but you can't do a one way cruise from Seattle - they will all be RT Seattle. Vancouver is the only west coast port that can allow you to sail to Whittier/Seward AK.

Hi all,

WOW - I didn't even think of cruising both ways. Love that idea. I'll have to look into it.

If you are thinking of cruising both ways, check out the Alaska Marine Highways (i.e., the Alaska ferry system). It tends to be a bit complicated to figure out routes and schedules but you might be able to take the ferry all the way to Seattle. This will give you a completely different feel than what you get on a cruise ship as Alaskans use the ferry as sort of a bus. The lady who ran the B&B that we stayed at in Wrangle took a ferry trip to Seattle a couple of times per year to do really major shopping. She also took the ferry regularly from Wrangle to Juneau for more routine shopping.

You can get meals on the ferry and a basic room if the ferry is an overnight trip. We took the ferry from Haines to Prince Rupert on one trip and we considered doing it all the way down to Seattle.

It was a fun and different way to see Alaska and to meet lots of Alaskans.

DON

If you are thinking of cruising both ways, check out the Alaska Marine Highways (i.e., the Alaska ferry system). It tends to be a bit complicated to figure out routes and schedules but you might be able to take the ferry all the way to Seattle. This will give you a completely different feel than what you get on a cruise ship as Alaskans use the ferry as sort of a bus. The lady who ran the B&B that we stayed at in Wrangle took a ferry trip to Seattle a couple of times per year to do really major shopping. She also took the ferry regularly from Wrangle to Juneau for more routine shopping.

You can get meals on the ferry and a basic room if the ferry is an overnight trip. We took the ferry from Haines to Prince Rupert on one trip and we considered doing it all the way down to Seattle.

It was a fun and different way to see Alaska and to meet lots of Alaskans.

DON

The Alaska State Ferry does not dock in Seattle. It docks further north in Bellingham. A good way to see southeast Alaska. We are taking a trip on the ferry at the end of January going from Haines to Bellingham with a 2 day layover in Ketchikan.

The Alaska State Ferry does not dock in Seattle. It docks further north in Bellingham. A good way to see southeast Alaska. We are taking a trip on the ferry at the end of January going from Haines to Bellingham with a 2 day layover in Ketchikan.

I know. However, Bellingham is only 88 miles from Seattle and there public transportation from the 2 cities.

January - that will be an interesting time to do the ferry trip.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

You may want to consider HAL or RCL/X as they depart from Seward. There is very little in Whittier aside from glacier/wildlife voyages. The train is a great way to experience Alaska. Agree with comments re: Talkeetna; hippy dippy, artsy community that takes all of about an hour to cover thoroughly. Last year we did an NCL cruisetour that began in Fairbanks. We flew to Anchorage and took the train to Fairbanks. Both NCL and RCL/X use an excellent local operator with local drivers and guides. I believe NCL is moving from Whittier to Seward this year, so that is another option.

FWIW, I once priced out the Marine HWY, and it does looking cool albeit comparitvely spartan accomodations and ammenities. The price was also much more than a typical cruise in a regular balcony.

Edited by fishin' musician

Agree with comments re: Talkeetna; hippy dippy' date=' artsy community that takes all of about an hour to cover thoroughly.

[/quote']

Years ago Talkeetna was a funky interesting community. It has changed greatly and as someone who lives in Alaska I now view it as a tourist trap.