Nieuw Amsterdam or Maasdam for Panama Canal?

Cruiser Andi

Hi all! I am planning a 20th anniversary cruise for me and my hubby in 2016. We have decided we are going to do the Panama Canal 15 day cruise. One is on the Maasdam in May and the other is on Nieuw Amsterdam in April. Itineraries appear to be almost identical and either month works well for us. So, the big question is, which ship would you choose and why? We've been on the Veendam, Zaandam, and Zuiderdam in the past. Thanks for any help you can give to help me make up my mind 😊

I love the newer ships so hands down I'd pick the NA. I love the tamarind and the retreat cabanas. I will be booking this very same cruise I think. It will be the first time thru the canal for the NA. I think that is exciting.

I'd love to try the newer ship so I'm leaning towards the NA as well. I've heard such great things about Tamarind that I will absolutely give it a try. Didn't realize this was the first time for NA through the canal. That should be fun.

I'd love to try the newer ship so I'm leaning towards the NA as well. I've heard such great things about Tamarind that I will absolutely give it a try. Didn't realize this was the first time for NA through the canal. That should be fun.

I'm obsessed with the tamarind. I just had a lovely cruise on the NA in November. I think the spring is the best time to go thru the canal because it tends to be less rainy.

Edited by cruz chic

I'd look at which ship has better viewing inside and outside, especially shaded viewing. Maasdam now has lanai cabins with fewer deck chairs for the rest of the guests, though I'm usually walking around the decks to see it all!

I've never been on NA and not sure I would care for the Asian food Tamarind serves but I've been through the canal twice, both in December, and it was very hot there. You will want some covered or air conditioned viewing areas any time of year. The transit through the canal is most of a day and one can get very sunburned or overheated - I did.

The canal is our favorite itinerary for it's balance of ports and sea days, plus the canal is so fascinating. Enjoy, m--

If the price is close - hmmmm.

the N.A. is newer but those cabanas take up public space and viewing space IMO.

The tamarind is nice - we liked it but it wouldn't be enough to make me book a cruise on her.

If you are going to use a cabana, then I would go with the N.A.

If you are not, I would be tempted to go on the Maasdam, but I like that ship.

I don't think you can go wrong either way :D

We've booked the 2016 Nieuw Amsterdam cruise Panama Canal cruise. It will be her first time through the Canal and into many of the ports. We spent 37 days on her in the Med and like all the amenities she offers. Very excited for the cruise!

I love the Maasdam and will always choose her over NA.

Maasdam is older but a beautiful ship with wonderful crew.

I love her art, her size, the size of her cabins, her very beautiful MDR, the large verandahs, Pinnacle and her aft pool.

I do enjoy Tamarind and Silk Den on Nieuw Amsterdam but would pass them up in order to sail Maasdam.

Here is something else to consider... the NA's April 10 departure has a slight edge in the weather department. Although April is near the end of Dry Season in Panama (late Dec. through April), there would be a better chance of dry weather with the earlier date. May is generally considered a Rainy Season month in Panama, also consider Colombia and Costa Rica are on roughly in the same time frame in regards to the Dry and Wet Seasons.

I would not book either cruise just based on which season the cruise was in, but you might want to add the weather in your pros and cons for a particular date.

We have sailed 55 days on the NA and 17 on the Maasdam. As you can see from my signature we have chosen the NA for this voyage. It is our favourite HAL ship because of the size, the decor and the SS cabins, which the smaller ships do not have.

My husband has great difficulty with the high sided tubs in the smaller, older ships because of a bad leg, so the SS cabins on the NA, with their free standing shower in addition to the tub make it perfect for us. They also have two sinks so there is no pushing and elbowing (just kidding) and extra storage space for a longer trip.

There is something about that glass elevator which we both love and never get tired of. The crew is very friendly. The Lido cabanas on one side of the pool do occupy potential viewing space but quite frankly, the Canal is so very hot and humid that the Lido pool area is not a place you would want to spend much time in anyway during the transit. There is no air circulation there when the ship is not moving.

Whichever ship you choose you will love the full transit. We are taking it for the third time in a couple of months. We enjoy it that much.

We're in the minority, but would choose the Maasdam & book a Lanai cabin, only because we enjoy the smaller ships, have been in a Lanai & enjoy sitting out on the Promenade deck..

Have been through the canal four times & would do it again in a heartbeat..

Edited by serendipity1499

We did this cruise on the Amsterdam-East to West years ago. Now days, I would rather be on a small ship due to the long walks the newer ships have from one end to the other but......DH loves the N Amsterdam and the Tamarind and its staff. We just were on this ship and had a wrap around suite. So if I could get this suite again I would do it. BUT I just loved the older ship and its atmosphere. I was very interested in the workings and history of the canal. Truly amazing. I was at the bow of the ship before sunrise and stayed put until we went through Gatun....even having my Panama breakfast out there~

We did this cruise on the Amsterdam-East to West years ago. Now days, I would rather be on a small ship due to the long walks the newer ships have from one end to the other but......DH loves the N Amsterdam and the Tamarind and its staff. We just were on this ship and had a wrap around suite. So if I could get this suite again I would do it. BUT I just loved the older ship and its atmosphere. I was very interested in the workings and history of the canal. Truly amazing. I was at the bow of the ship before sunrise and stayed put until we went through Gatun....even having my Panama breakfast out there~

I love the aft-wrap suites for the Canal! If you can swing it, this is the way to go IMO and the NA has them while the Maasdam does not.

DaveOKC