Age requirement for booking and sharing?

Sea Belle

Does anyone know if any of the cruise lines will allow booking in the same room by girls 2 @ 21 and 2@ 19? I can't seem to find an answer on the web sites. :confused:

You will be fine with every line but Carnival. Carnival requires a person 25 or older in a cabin with anyone under 21. Even if the younger child's parents are onboard, the unrelated child must be 25. At least, they have to be booked that way. EM

If you book a 21 yr old with a 19 yr old in each stateroom that should work, unless it's Carnival. Once on board you can have the room keys changed re-done so that you are arranged as you want. But I'm not saavy on every lines' rules. m--

Best was to find out is to call guest services or email HAL and ask but have never seen a restriction. If at least 1 parent of a 19-year old is on board - no worries. the DOB is always needed for booking so you will find out as soon as you book if not allowed.

We just booked our 18yo daughter in her own cabin for December and we booked and paid as it was last minute. My husband and I were booked in another cabin. I received a call from HAL after telling me she could not book a cabin. We had to book her in our suite and myself in her inside. They would not change it onboard either. We got a spare key for each cabin. We are booked for Europe in May and are having the same issues. They are one of the most difficult lines to deal with this issue that we have found. It bothers me that our daughter gets my suite perks and it can be an issue.

We also asked if we could change our Neptune suite to one with an adjoining balcony and book her in the adjoining cabin and the answer was no.

You mentioned this was a last minute booking.. Was the NO answer because thee Neptune Suite & adjoining was already booked?

I'm sure HAL is being very careful these days about booking under age (21) children because of the horrible incident they had with one of their Stewards earlier last year.. He is currently in jail & his sentencing date I believe is sometime this month or in Feb... I would bet that it's constantly in the minds of the HAL Management.. IMO this is not only to protect your daughter but also to protect HAL from law suites..

HAL really is not being difficult, they are being quite smart.. If I were you I would try again to possibly get adjoining cabins when you board..

I'm trying not to be an alarmist, but as someone who is retired from the Travel Field, I never would put my 18 year old daughter or granddaughter in a cabin by herself on any ship.. There have been too many incidents on board IMO..

Edited by serendipity1499

Found the age reference for HAL - see below - which I found on cruise booking website

Guests Under 21

Guests under 21 years of age must be accompanied by a parent, guardian or chaperone who is at least 21 years old; one adult chaperone is required for every five people under the age of 21 (25 years of age or older in the case of persons serving as chaperones for approved organized student/youth groups).

Alcoholic beverages will not be served to guests under age 21. Due to limited medical facilities on the ships, HAL will not accept reservations for infants under 6 months old at time of sailing. For Transocean crossings, or other itineraries which HAL Medical Department feel present a significant risk, infants must be a minimum of 12 months of age at embarkation. Minors under age 18 traveling to certain foreign countries must be accompanied by both parents or have a notarized letter of consent signed by the parent(s) not traveling. If the other parent is deceased or the child has only one legal parent, a notarized statement must be obtained as proof. All minors under age 18 must travel with all proper identification requirements in addition to the signed letter of authorization. Minors who are U.S. citizens should have a certified copy of their birth certificate or another form of proof of citizenship. Children 16 or older are also required to have a photo ID. If traveling outside of the Western Hemisphere, a passport is required. Your travel agent can provide additional information about this requirement.

PLEASE NOTE: In an effort to prevent international child abduction, many governments have initiated procedures at entry and exit points. These often include requiring documentary evidence of relationship and permission for the child's travel from the parent(s) or legal guardian if not present. Having such

documentation on hand, even if not required, may facilitate entry or departure. For specific information regarding the country you are traveling to, please visit the U.S. State Department website for country-by country

information.

Parents, guardians and chaperones are responsible for overseeing the conduct of minors in their care. As such, minors may not be left unsupervised on board the ship. A parent or legal guardian MUST

Does anyone know if any of the cruise lines will allow booking in the same room by girls 2 @ 21 and 2@ 19? I can't seem to find an answer on the web sites. :confused:

From "take us away"'s post it would seem that if you have all four of you in the same room then you will be fine. If you have two rooms then you will need to have one 21 year old and one 19 year old in each room.

Have a good cruise.

We also asked if we could change our Neptune suite to one with an adjoining balcony and book her in the adjoining cabin and the answer was no.

You are trying to book a person under 21 into her own cabin, and the answer is no. Too book your own cabin, you must be 21, unless you sail Cunard, P&O or Disney. Doesn't matter if her parents are onboard, she is sailing with them. You are still trying to book someone under 21 into their own cabin. EM

Thanks for all of the interesting posts to my original question. It looks like the young ladies will be ok for some cruise lines. Now finding ones that will fit into their Spring Break schedule will be the next step. These girls are sorority sisters who will have each others back. They just want to relax for a week in the sun and preferably not in the mobs of others in Florida.

We got some clarity in writing from Holland America in Seattle today. We can book our two 18 year old travellers in their own cabin if it is in close proximity to ours. They did not say how close but I assume in the same section of the ship. We received many different answers before this but were able to book our daughter and her friend today. We brought the question to them after reading the contract where there must be one 21 year old for every 5 minors, there are no cabins on the ship for 6 people so it only made sense there had to be a solution. The future cruise consultant told us they couldn't even book in an adjoining cabin, HAL was not happy that was what we were told.

We got some clarity in writing from Holland America in Seattle today. We can book our two 18 year old travellers in their own cabin if it is in close proximity to ours. They did not say how close but I assume in the same section of the ship. We received many different answers before this but were able to book our daughter and her friend today. We brought the question to them after reading the contract where there must be one 21 year old for every 5 minors, there are no cabins on the ship for 6 people so it only made sense there had to be a solution. The future cruise consultant told us they couldn't even book in an adjoining cabin, HAL was not happy that was what we were told.

I'm amazed.. Perhaps they got an exception for you.. But I would not be be surprised if & when HAL comes back again & tells you it can not be done unless it's an adjoining cabin..

Post No. 11 is from HAL's WEB site which clearly states all cabins must have at least a 21 year old in them..

Edited by serendipity1499

They didn't make an exception for us and called to discuss the information we were given. They were very surprised about it and said they were going to contact the future cruise consultant to make sure she knew the policy. Even the policy as stated is a little odd because obviously there must be SOME age requirement. I imagine it is quite vague so they can control the decisions. We have two 18 year olds staying across the hall from us which is quite different than bringing your young children. We were willing to pay more to get them the balcony suite adjoining our Neptune suite And they said we didn't have to. I am just happy we can all go now and have a fabulous time!

Post No. 11 is from HAL's WEB site which clearly states all cabins must have at least a 21 year old in them.

No, it says, "Guests under 21 years of age must be accompanied by a parent, guardian or chaperone who is at least 21 years old."

That doesn't say that people under 21 can't be booked in a cabin.