Hotel and parking in Southampton

shot2bits

Basically, I need a hotel for one night with parking for 14 days with transport to and from the port. Has anyone done this? Any recommendations gratefully accepted. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Dolphin do a 'cruise and stay' package, £129 B&B, 2 weeks parking. An extra £20 get you taxis to and from the port.

We've used the many times, and will again this year. No complaints - a very central hotel, you car isn't taken off site, and its easy walking distance to many restaurants and bars if you don't want to eat at the hotel.

Another vote for the Holiday Inn - great views, right by the docks with great views and lovely staff. Stayed there twice and another stay booked. Have also done the Dolphin about 2010 and would not use again.

Another vote for the Dolphin. Ask for a room in the stable block, its a bit away from the main hotel. Breakfast is fabulous! If you do book this, you need to put "Back of the walls road" into your satnav and not the postcode. The postcode takes you to the front of the hotel, not the back where the entrance is.

Another vote for the Dolphin. Ask for a room in the stable block, its a bit away from the main hotel. Breakfast is fabulous! If you do book this, you need to put "Back of the walls road" into your satnav and not the postcode. The postcode takes you to the front of the hotel, not the back where the entrance is.

Good advice I also use the intersection of BotWS and Canal Walk which is the entrance to the Dolphin Car Park.

I started a similar thread,

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2103489

we chose the Holiday Inn.

Room was clean, but amazing views watched our ship arrive

Dinner in the restaurant could have been better

Breakfast much better than dinner

Staff wonderful

Edited by bertie1992

Apologies for going a bit off thread but for anyone not needing the parking, or getting it included in cruise fare.... We booked into the West Quay Premier Inn and we were amazed. What value, and we booked early the the cost was £34 for the two of us!

My ONE complaint about the Holiday Inn at Herbert Walker Avenue is the price of the drinks. Its £4.00 a pint, reassuringly expensive?

The breakfast is great, buffet style. We walked to the Wetherspoons in town for an evening meal, takes about 15 minutes if you don't look at all the history on the way there.

Again off thread, we arrived at the airport to find there was a 45 minute wait for a taxi. A bus pulled up which took us to High Street right at the door of the Dolphin Hotel. It's a great location for shops, restaurants and pubs.

Grand Harbour Hotel Southampton our price included breakfast & return taxis organised by hotel, on return ring the number they give you & they text you vehicle model & registration. Very quick & efficient. We ate out in Sourhampton at night but breakfast was very good in the morning.However I have heard good reviews of the holiday inn!

:):):)

Edited by HARRIS40

I certainly won't be going back to the Mecure Dolphin. We thought we would see some friends the weekend before our cruise. They put us in the better room (their words) it was in the court yard. The noise of guests at a wedding standing outside kept us awake till around 2.30-3.00, plus the mattress was harder than the floor.

Imagine your bedroom door facing onto a street with drunk people smoking and chatting loudly. Then in the morning cars driving past on gravel. Later that day I wanted to watch lewis win the f1title so sat In the bar and watched it. The wife went and bought a few goodies for the cabin. Just as the race finished our friends arrived, my wife asked if she could leave her bag behind reception. They said yes, on our return we found why they said yes it was so they could eat all them all. If they can't be trusted with a £10 bag of goodies there's no way I would leave my keys with them.