Cheapo dad’s trip report on Allure of the Seas sailing December 14, 2014

Digging the tilt-shift effect in the photo with the tram.

Yeah, the effects works well on repeat patterns like tram or cars or seats. There were no trains on this cruise route but I have seen nice pics/videos on the steam engine trains as our eyes are used to seeing the model trains.

The good thing is you don't even need an expensive camera to achieve this. Many basic cameras have this filter and cell phones have apps that can do the similar thing.

Hi, Sharonna,

Thanks for the kind words. Glad some of the info is helpful even on a different ship.

Baileysdad already answered your question on the show time PDF as he had posted a similar question on the boards.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2169268&highlight=allure

I guess for whatever reason, RCI decided not to update the current show time. Maybe post dry dock with new show and Allure being in Europe, they haven’t decided on what show to have at which time. Too bad as that schedule is helpful in helping people decide nights to attend the various shows.

Totally agree with this...especially if you are on My Time Dining and booking around the shows. Maybe they'll repost again after dry dock.

Hi, Grady,

Thanks for the compliment. Actually I need to thank you as I actually went far enough back to look at your 2011 cruise review in preparation for my cruise.

You are one of the legends of these boards with all the cruise ship pictorial reviews. I always found your info very helpful. You are much nicer to your readers than I will ever be in categorizing the pictures by deck to give them an idea of what’s what. I am too lazy and just ramble on.

Thanks again for all your cruise reviews and whenever I decide on the next cruise, I am sure I will scroll through your list to see if Grady has already done a review to make my research that much easier.

Wow, thanks for the compliments! I enjoy doing the reviews, so I'm glad that they were helpful for you!

Hi, Sharonna,

Thanks for the kind words. Glad some of the info is helpful even on a different ship.

Baileysdad already answered your question on the show time PDF as he had posted a similar question on the boards.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2169268&highlight=allure

I guess for whatever reason, RCI decided not to update the current show time. Maybe post dry dock with new show and Allure being in Europe, they haven’t decided on what show to have at which time. Too bad as that schedule is helpful in helping people decide nights to attend the various shows.

But if you are cruising in 18 days, shouldn’t you already have all the show info under your reservations online?

Have a great cruise next month.

I have made all of my reservations, which unfortunately they keep changing, cancelling, rescheduling....it's exhausting just keeping up with them and trying to adjust your timetable every time to include everything.

I just thought that pdf was nice and tidy and you could see everything at a glance which is much easier then the way they currently have it laid out.

Edited by Shar27

Thanks for the compliment. Glad you found the info helpful.

Sounds like this TA sailing will have a lot of cc folks on it. Be sure to go back to do some research on the TA of Oasis coming back to US in October 2014. I remember reading that sailing ran into some cold weather and there were massive complaints from the guests as they had no places to go because the Oasis class ships are made more for warm weather sailings and the guests couldn’t use the outside decks. But hopefully you guys will have warmer weather.

Yeah, be sure to get to the secret balcony ASAP before they start to block it off during the TA in converting to suites – RCI are greedy gravy sucking pigs.

For my money, Cuddy was better/more fun as a CD than Jerome. It would be great if he can be promoted to CD someday.

You and everyone on the TA have a great cruise.

Hiya Harry,

Agree, Cuddy is definitely CD material. He's just naturally funny & engaging. From what I understand a CD has to speak a minimum of two languages so alas Cuddy would have to learn a 2nd language.

Thanks again for your insight & wonderful review. You are a peach!!

Cheers,

NJ :)

But to me the system of kids and adult level should be the same – minus the alcohol of course. The reward system is for the previous cruise and not current cruise. Other than staying at suites or cruising solo, everyone gets the same number of “points” for every night they cruise.

If an adult was the 3rd or 4th passenger, they would get the same 7 points of credit on for sailing on the Allure just as the first 2 adults in the cabin, so that shouldn’t matter based on age. I do know that kids can piggyback on parent’s higher level if they are under 18, but at the minimum they should have the basic gold level membership perks because RCI does not charge less money based on kids age.

Should be the same as frequent flier mileage points system on airlines. You paid money to get a seat, you get mileage points, regardless you are 7 or 70.

I have not seen this being discussed perhaps because 1) Many people on the boards don’t have kids under 18 at the gold level 2) They don’t buy milk shakes and pictures like I do and never need any of their gold level perks. So I didn’t even know about it and I had to question the lady at the photo counter as why my son’s photo orders were charged extra money compared to mine.

Any rate, glad to be of help to you and your friend.

Just an FYI, I think all kids get the same benefits. There is no distinction between the classes. My kids are Diamond Plus, partly from their own travel, but mostly from piggy backing and they get the same lousy discounts as your kids get.

My oldest is over 18, so she gets the real discounts on her card now, but the younger two, same as yours. We are all "peasants" in this scenario.:D

Harry-

I am so looking forward to reading through your report over the next 10 days before our family leaves for the Allure sailing on 3/8. My dad, ironically, is taking three generations as a late Christmas present. It will be my parents, my sister and her kids (kids ages 3, 6 and 11) and my husband and I and our kiddos (ages 4, 6, 8) - in 5 cabins.

My dad is incredible and so generous but we have always called him "frugal, erroring on the side of cheap", so I think we will be able to relate to your report very well. I will say as he gets older his wallet gets a little looser. He has made it clear that he got us there, anything "extra" is on us - which is totally fair. But my husband and I are on the frugal side as well (clearly runs in the family), so the only extra we plan is one dinner for us at a specialty restaurant, as a date night.

Can't wait to use your planning spreadsheet, as details is my thing. I have also done all the planning, show reservations, hotel reservations, etc - so this will be a great way for me to organize this for everyone. This is honestly the most unprepared i have been for a vacation in a long time and had planned to go into it with a "go with the flow" perspective but am finding that to be very stressful for me, so I have hit hard core planning this week.

Thanks for taking the time to do this and what a great way to capture the trip for your family to look back on.:)

Harry-

I am so looking forward to reading through your report over the next 10 days before our family leaves for the Allure sailing on 3/8. My dad, ironically, is taking three generations as a late Christmas present. It will be my parents, my sister and her kids (kids ages 3, 6 and 11) and my husband and I and our kiddos (ages 4, 6, 8) - in 5 cabins.

My dad is incredible and so generous but we have always called him "frugal, erroring on the side of cheap", so I think we will be able to relate to your report very well. I will say as he gets older his wallet gets a little looser. He has made it clear that he got us there, anything "extra" is on us - which is totally fair. But my husband and I are on the frugal side as well (clearly runs in the family), so the only extra we plan is one dinner for us at a specialty restaurant, as a date night.

Can't wait to use your planning spreadsheet, as details is my thing. I have also done all the planning, show reservations, hotel reservations, etc - so this will be a great way for me to organize this for everyone. This is honestly the most unprepared i have been for a vacation in a long time and had planned to go into it with a "go with the flow" perspective but am finding that to be very stressful for me, so I have hit hard core planning this week.

Thanks for taking the time to do this and what a great way to capture the trip for your family to look back on.:)

Thanks for leaving a nice comment. Hope the trip report lives up to your expectation as sometimes we get too hyped up about reading a book that just came out and it fell way short of what we had hoped.

Very nice to be able to have a big family gathering on a cruise. You guys definitely picked the right ship for a multi-generational family vacation.

I think it’s too hard to “go with the flow” when you have such a big group and diverse range of age. You will forever spend time looking at the daily schedule and say “what you guys want to do now?”. It’s better to have an idea on what to do ahead of time and you can always make changes to the plan when you get to it. Easier to go with the flow for 2 adults versus 11 people, half of which are kids.

Sounds like you have done all the planning ahead of time. Did you request a web cam wave? With a group of 11, you guys can easily be recognized. You can go to the not so secret balcony on 11 or 12 and the kids can watch the Madagascar sail away party from there and the adults can look over the railing at the port.

I assume some of the younger kids will go the Adventure Ocean. Here is a sample scan of one day’s worth of activities to give you guys an idea on what they offer and the schedule.

EPSON039.jpg

EPSON040.jpg

Do note from the schedule that if you have the traditional or my time dining time earlier at night, they have the kids drop off at 6:45 so the kids can still eat with you guys and then they go off to play and the adults can enjoy a more leisurely meal.

Are you guys doing Eastern or Western? If Eastern, you can skip all the port days of the trip report and be done in a much faster time. If you are in a real hurry, just look at the pictures and skip the verbiage. Using average of 1 minute per page, you can finish the entire TR in less than 1 hour. Then go back and read the info only when you have time. Feel free to ask questions.

Have a great family cruise if we don’t talk again before you leave. It would be great if you can come back and let me know how your vacation was afterward. Always interested to know how other families spend their vacation time.

Hi Harry,

I have read your report and plan on doing so again. Love your sense of humor. ;)

Thanks for posting the cruise compas for the kids. I do have one question. The compass lists it as "morning session", "afternoon session" and "evening session". Do kids typically go for the whole time from say 2-5pm? Or can you drop them off for 1 to 1.5hrs at any point during that time? For us, this is a family vacation as we don't travel much so want to spend time together....but don't mind dropping them off for a shorter time here or there (rather than feeling like it's most of the afternoon).

Hi Harry,

I have read your report and plan on doing so again. Love your sense of humor. ;)

Thanks for posting the cruise compas for the kids. I do have one question. The compass lists it as "morning session", "afternoon session" and "evening session". Do kids typically go for the whole time from say 2-5pm? Or can you drop them off for 1 to 1.5hrs at any point during that time? For us, this is a family vacation as we don't travel much so want to spend time together....but don't mind dropping them off for a shorter time here or there (rather than feeling like it's most of the afternoon).

Hi,

Good talking to you again.

You can drop off kids anytime within the session period and you can take them out anytime within the slot period so it’s very flexible. The key thing to note is during sea days, they do close for lunch between 12 noon to 2 PM so you are required to pick up the kids at that time slot. If you leave them in there after 10 PM, there will be a $ charge.

During port days (I scanned day 6 below), they are opened all day long so people can leave the kids on the ship and do excursions and come back to get the kids whenever No limit of the noon to 2 PM like sea days. They will take the kids to lunch if the parents are not back yet from port.

My kids didn’t want to go to camp on this cruise as they wanted to see the Allure as much as possible with us since it’s so unique.

EPSON041.jpg

EPSON042.jpg

Thanks for your response about the kids club. I'm a bit reliieved to hear that kids are not "expected to" stay for the entire time and that you can drop them off/pick them up anytime during the opened hours. Makes sense that if they close for a few hours then you have to pick them up by the closing time. We'll be taking our kids wtih on port days and only using it if they want for a small time otherwise. Our kids are at school, after program and camp so most time we'll be together. I agree too that Allure has so much and fun to do together.

Thanks again for your report. Its reports like yours that keeps me waiting patiently for our cruise which is over 400 days :eek:...but at the same time lessons my patience since you show how much fun it is. :D

I loved your trip report! The name sucked me in earlier this week and I have been spending every extra minute reading it ever since. Well done, very impressive.

I am another member of the friends of excel group. When we went to SD last summer I had this insanely detailed excel spreadsheet that listed out campgrounds we stayed at, activities and food for each day.

Harry, I'm loving your report, and in particular the pictures you took and converted into the pencil sketches. Can you tell me what app or picture software you used to get that look. They are really cool!

MerLib

Oh, yes, yes, yes. I have been waiting for days/weeks for someone like you to post a comment on the pencil sketch. Most of the people like the miniatures but no one until now have said anything about the pencil sketches. I know it’s not as wow as the miniatures but it’s still an interesting effect. As nobody talked about them, I figured I must be the only weirdo that likes them. Glad you think they are cool as well.

You can just go to Google Play Store (Assuming you have Android) and just search “pencil sketch” to find many free apps.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=pencil%20sketch&c=apps

I use the ones by made by 17 miles and Dumpling Sandwich (Interesting name). Apple has similar apps, just look for it in the apple app store. The good thing about these apps is you don’t need to take the pictures with the app to have these effects. They can convert any existing picture – just converted 6 more pics for you and whoever else that might like this stuff.

16673903992_3c34b056d8_b.jpg

16648970346_e546dd056b_b.jpg

16487342958_b46d92954b_b.jpg

16674920515_a029bc2bf0_b.jpg

16054974783_1c5f090e77_b.jpg

16487514810_046584a63e_z.jpg

___

• Like 1

I loved your trip report! The name sucked me in earlier this week and I have been spending every extra minute reading it ever since. Well done, very impressive.

I am another member of the friends of excel group. When we went to SD last summer I had this insanely detailed excel spreadsheet that listed out campgrounds we stayed at, activities and food for each day.

Thanks for the compliment. So my trip report is like the black hole – it just sucks up your free time?

What cities/area did you stay while in South Dakota? Actually that’s where I am planning to go (Assuming everyone’s schedule works out)– we are looking to see Mt. Rushmore and Devil’s Tower and many other places. We won’t be doing the camp sites as that’s not my style. It’s a 3,000+ miles drive round trip so I need to organize my time and stops with at least a minimal schedule/spreadsheet in addition to Tripit to track all my reservations.

Wow!!!! I have binge read your review and now I am so sad it is over. Can’t wait to ready your road trip. Will you do a blog of that or how will we find it? I need more of you and your families escapades. Such fun reading and the pictures are amazing. We sailed on RCI in 1988. My husband said after i read him parts of your review and showed pictures that we were going on the Allure! Yippee!!

We have been sailing on Carnival, Regent and the last 4 on Princess.

Thanks for all the time and effort you put into this and thanks to your family for letting us come along.

Oh, one more pencil sketch for my signature photo

16489018439_dfeacf7bbe_b.jpg

Oh that looks very cool. :D I didn't mention it, but I did look for the pencil sketch app in the ITunes store. I haven't quite figured out which one to get though.

"Signature Photo" Hahahaha. :D I like that too. And it is a wonderful choice.

Enjoy your future travels!

We loved, loved, loved South Dakota. If you go make sure you spend at least a couple days at the Badlands, we thought it was much nicer than the Rapid City/Custer area where all the touristy stuff/Mt Rushmore is. You talk about getting some beautiful pictures, you can drive all day long in the Badlands and take pictures of the overlooks. It's just amazing. We camped there three nights but I think we could have done the area in two. I know there is a lodge on the NP grounds that you can stay at, but I don't know if there is much else close hotel wise. If you do visit there don't miss Wall Drug (the one cheesy touristy uncle place by there everyone goes to) and the Minuteman missile silo tour.

http://www.nps.gov/badl/index.htm

http://www.nps.gov/mimi/index.htm

We stayed at Custer State Park while doing the Black Hills and I know there are also lodges to stay there as well, but I don't know if that will be an inexpensive option. It was nice to stay in the park though.

One tip I found was that you pay for parking at Mt Rushmore once ($11) and then it is good for a whole year. There are no entrance fees. We went three times that week because my kids loved it so much.

http://www.nps.gov/moru/index.htm

We camped at Devils Tower - it literally is out in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming. All of the sudden it is there in the distance and it's amazing. It's totally worth going to visit even if you are only going to stop for the day.

http://www.nps.gov/deto/index.htm

I hope this helps get you started!

Wow, Harry those are really super neat! My DH and I are going to Alaska in June and even though he is the photographer I may have to install one of those "apps" and try my hand at the pencil sketch effect. I especially like the signature picture :-)

MerLib

Oh that looks very cool. :D I didn't mention it, but I did look for the pencil sketch app in the ITunes store. I haven't quite figured out which one to get though.

"Signature Photo" Hahahaha. :D I like that too. And it is a wonderful choice.

Enjoy your future travels!

Just pick one with the highest number of downloads and have 4+ star ratings. If you don't like it, delete it and pick a new one. Don't need to think about it.

We loved, loved, loved South Dakota. If you go make sure you spend at least a couple days at the Badlands, we thought it was much nicer than the Rapid City/Custer area where all the touristy stuff/Mt Rushmore is. You talk about getting some beautiful pictures, you can drive all day long in the Badlands and take pictures of the overlooks. It's just amazing. We camped there three nights but I think we could have done the area in two. I know there is a lodge on the NP grounds that you can stay at, but I don't know if there is much else close hotel wise. If you do visit there don't miss Wall Drug (the one cheesy touristy uncle place by there everyone goes to) and the Minuteman missile silo tour.

http://www.nps.gov/badl/index.htm

http://www.nps.gov/mimi/index.htm

We stayed at Custer State Park while doing the Black Hills and I know there are also lodges to stay there as well, but I don't know if that will be an inexpensive option. It was nice to stay in the park though.

One tip I found was that you pay for parking at Mt Rushmore once ($11) and then it is good for a whole year. There are no entrance fees. We went three times that week because my kids loved it so much.

http://www.nps.gov/moru/index.htm

We camped at Devils Tower - it literally is out in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming. All of the sudden it is there in the distance and it's amazing. It's totally worth going to visit even if you are only going to stop for the day.

http://www.nps.gov/deto/index.htm

I hope this helps get you started!

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I have budgeted one day for the Badlands. Can’t spend more than that as we are driving thousands of miles to get there so the time we spent while there will be less than folks that are closer. We’ll come up from Cheyenne as we also like to hit all the state capitols in our travels. We were at Yellowstone few years back but this time we are venturing further eastward.

Figure we come up from Cheyenne and then couple nights at Custer and then stay at Rapid City for few days to see Mt. Rushmore and Badlands and then head back via Sturgis to see the Devil’s Tower and then start head for home.

The challenges we face are the time commitment for such a long drive and still have money/budget for winter cruise vacation. Also need to avoid the Sturgis bike rally as that’s their equivalent of the cruise version of Christmas sailing of super high prices.

Appreciate all the info provided.

Thought I read the whole story but missed the pencil sketches??? Have to look into getting that app. Great report, we're on the Allure in 2 weeks, excitement building.

Tony and Debbie.

On day 7 of the trip report, I added few pictures in there that came from the pencil sketch filters. I didn't make a special note of it at the time but since nobody said anything about it, I figure it's not as cool as I thought it was, until merlib brought it up.

Purist photographers won't like it as it distorts their original picture but I am far from a purist.

Have a great cruise in 2 weeks.

Wow!!!! I have binge read your review and now I am so sad it is over. Can’t wait to ready your road trip. Will you do a blog of that or how will we find it? I need more of you and your families escapades. Such fun reading and the pictures are amazing. We sailed on RCI in 1988. My husband said after i read him parts of your review and showed pictures that we were going on the Allure! Yippee!!

We have been sailing on Carnival, Regent and the last 4 on Princess.

Thanks for all the time and effort you put into this and thanks to your family for letting us come along.

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you found the info enjoyable.

So what is a binge read? Do you need to check in with your doctor on some reading disorder syndrome? Some people have said my trip report is bad for them, yet addictive - like bacon and potato chips.

I wasn’t planning on posting my summer travels as those are pretty boring road trips with miles and miles of driving. Just bunch of gas stations and empty lands along the sides of the freeway. Not nearly as exciting as ship urinals/chairs for people to look at and I don’t have crazy aunt comparisons for road trips.

I typically upload my pictures to Shutterfly and then create a special web page with a brief daily summary of what we saw for my friends and family members to view but those are just boring family vacation pics.

I guess I do have some interesting pics from last year’s mini road trip to the redwood country that not everyone gets to see. Give me a day or two to find those pics and upload them.

Glad you will be going on the Allure. That is an amazing ship. Has its drawbacks but it’s very unique in what it has to offer.