Mazaltan mexico

GASPARTY

Has anyone received an email from Princess regarding excursions in Mazaltan? We had pre-booked an excursion to Stone Island and were warned due to recent activity maybe we should reconsider.

We were in Mazatlan on 12/23 on HAL and took a tour with a local driver. Had a nice tour and a great shrimp meal at a beachfront restaurant in the Golden Zone. No signs of trouble but we both feel that we would stay on the ship if we were to dock in Mazatlan again. Just not a walk friendly place in our opinion. Our driver, former MLB player Carlos Lopez of Baltimore and Seattle Mariners, was great but he mentioned not leaving certain districts due to the violence in the rest of Sinaloa.

What kind of activity and who warned you?

We were just in Mazatlan last week and it was wonderful. The city is determined to win back the tourist population. For the first time in over a dozen visits there, we walked into the old town. There were police patrolling the area and a group of Snowbirds every block or two who gave directions and advice of what to do and see. We were very happy with our day there.

Look at the facts....and today. The new President who promised reform is not performing and tied to all sorts of corruption charges. The local politicians are even more corrupt, as are the police and much of the army.

The Cartels are the government.. and basically Mexico is a failed state. There is no assurance whatsoever of safety from anyone... That's the current reality.

Yes there are people who go and yes there are probably folks there trying to improve the image. But trying and accomplishing are two different things.

Just because a some snowbirds go there doesn't mean a thing. People for dumb things all the time. The question is will you?

Just read the papers....and understand that that is the tip of the iceberg.

Second, what does the port offer....that can not be experienced in other areas of the world?

At best its a calculated risk that you have to weigh.

Me, no thanks.

What kind of activity and who warned you?

We were just in Mazatlan last week and it was wonderful. The city is determined to win back the tourist population. For the first time in over a dozen visits there, we walked into the old town. There were police patrolling the area and a group of Snowbirds every block or two who gave directions and advice of what to do and see. We were very happy with our day there.

My husband received an email from Princess, we booked Stone Island. We were there several years ago and really enjoyed it then. This time we will pass on it.

My husband received an email from Princess, we booked Stone Island. We were there several years ago and really enjoyed it then. This time we will pass on it.

Princess emailed you not to go to Stone Island? It would interesting to know what they're talking about, since there was no such warning to anybody on our ship last week.

We debated on getting off the ship or not but we did and just took a ride to the Golden zone to some shops and a hotel we usually stop at for drinks. I'd say don't take any excursions or tours from anyone, including princess, outside the main city. it is still on the US Dpt state warning list. We saw officers in patrol cars going up and down the main street that runs along the ocean. We didn't see anything out of the ordinary. We aren't sure it's worth getting off for next time. It's still really pretty there for a visit and people are friendly. Travel smart is all.

We were there last week- Took a Taxi Tour for 4 hr.- wonderful van driver, born and raised in area, spent some time in US- excellant english- and told us lots of the history- how they are improving the city. We were surprized that the popluation was nearly 500,000- Area we saw-were very clean- (much cleaner than PVR)- old town very nice- went to the open market- and very busy due to it being a holiday week. Never felt uncomfortable-

Some of our family spent the day at Stone Island and had a great time. There was no discussion about feeling uncomforable- did say they had a wonderful lunch with the tour.

Mexico is as dangerous- as you put yourself in a dangerous situation- if you use the same skills you would use visiting any big city area in the USA- or any area you are unfamilar- you will be fine there. we have traveled and vacationed in Mexico every year- sometimes twice a year, and so far have not felt unsafe anywhere we have gone.

Will be in Maz 1/21/15. Just signed on to my Princess personalizer and the Stone Island tour is still offered. Also around 11 other tours for Maz are offered as well. No sign from Princess to be wary (at least from their tour standpoint).

We were there back in 2007 (same itinerary), and this was my favorite of the 3 ports. We have no plans on staying on the ship. We plan on doing our own thing while in Maz. I hope that we will feel just as safe as we do in any other place,but we will not let our guard down just because we are on vacation.

We are scheduled for 2/28 cruise and have scheduled a ship tour in MZL. We have not heard a thing from Princess. But thanks for the heads up, we will keep our eyes out.

We have traveled there before without incident. Went to stone island.

This is from the State Department travel warning...

Sinaloa: Mazatlan is a major city/travel destination in Sinaloa - Defer non-essential travel to the state of Sinaloa except the city of Mazatlan, where you should exercise caution, particularly late at night and in the early morning. One of Mexico's most powerful criminal organizations is based in the state of Sinaloa, and violent crime rates remain high in many parts of the state. Travel off the toll roads in remote areas of Sinaloa is especially dangerous and should be avoided. We recommend that any travel in Mazatlan be limited to Zona Dorada and the historic town center, as well as direct routes to/from these locations and the airport.

Edited by LovetheSea

I'm usually a proponent of DIY or private tours, but Mazatlan is one place where I will stick to the Princess tours. I was especially glad I did this since I broke my leg in Mazatlan on Christmas Eve 2014. I wrote about this in my "Christmas Cruise Misadventure" thread. Anyway, I have to say that I felt well treated by everyone I interacted with in Mazatlan, including police, EMT's, and the hospital personnel. The tour guide and the owner of the tour company also were extremely concerned and helpful. The tour company owner met us at the hospital, translated, and personally drove me back to the ship right up to the gangway. I would go back to Mazatlan in the future but only on a Princess tour and no more Christmas cruises for me, lol.

We did the golden zone/tequila tour on December 2nd. No problems at all. You do see police in full gear with rifles in pickup trucks, but you see that in Cozumel too. We did get the email advisory, but I did not feel uneasy at all taking this Princess tour.

If cruisers only got off at ports that were deemed completely safe, there wouldn't be a lot of destinations left to visit :).

Have a look at the warnings for Roatan, Belize, Jamaica, St. Lucia for example. Having said that, though, I think cruisers should research the ports, make their own minds up, take precautions (just because you "feel safe" doesn't mean it is) and do whatever falls into their comfort level.

Before Princess suspended their stop at Matzatlan, we used to walk out of the gate at the port and go down to the end of the street to catch the water taxi over to Stone Island - is that still doable? How many restaurants are still open and operating on Stone Island - even before the itinerary change for cruise ships, it seemed like the number of places to sit and enjoy a meal on the beach was dwindling.

Before Princess suspended their stop at Matzatlan, we used to walk out of the gate at the port and go down to the end of the street to catch the water taxi over to Stone Island - is that still doable? How many restaurants are still open and operating on Stone Island - even before the itinerary change for cruise ships, it seemed like the number of places to sit and enjoy a meal on the beach was dwindling.

We were wondering the same thing. We are scheduled on the Ruby Princess in March and were planning to take the water taxi over to Stone Island. We were there in 2010 and it worked great. The only problem was the weather did not cooperate--it rained most of the time. Interested to hear whether the water taxi is currently a good idea or not.

Has anyone received an email from Princess regarding excursions in Mazaltan? We had pre-booked an excursion to Stone Island and were warned due to recent activity maybe we should reconsider.

Who sent the warning? Princess? If so, please post the text.

Was this a Princess excusion you had booked?

Who sent the warning? Princess? If so, please post the text.

Was this a Princess excusion you had booked?

I really wonder about this as well. OP, in a subsequent post, attempted to lead us to believe that the e-mail was from Princess but it was not a foot-stomping direct declaration that Princess was the source.

My experience with Princess makes me think that if they were concerned about their excursion, it would simply be cancelled and, if they were worried about passenger and crew safety at the port, it would be skipped.