River cruise ( alcohol not included in price)

leah68

We did something similar on a mass market line (MSC Divinia) maybe about a year ago. On this class ship, MSC actually has something called the Yacht Club that is totally separate from the general population of the ship. Separate restaurant with better food, separate entrance/exit to the ship. Separate included open bar lounge. Just about everything a lux line would have except for "hot" room service. Very uncrowded, and about half the cost of a lux line cruise, and no "upsell" of any sort. IMHO, that sort of a deal is not bad at all!

We took that line only because it was a special music cruise featuring bands like The Moodie Blues and Yes, whom we got to meet because most of them too were staying in the Yacht Club.

But I never heard of RCL having anything like that. Celebrity does have something with SOME of those features, but I understand that RCL is the "same old, same old".

We did something similar on a mass market line (MSC Divinia) maybe about a year ago. On this class ship, MSC actually has something called the Yacht Club that is totally separate from the general population of the ship. Separate restaurant with better food, separate entrance/exit to the ship. Separate included open bar lounge. Just about everything a lux line would have except for "hot" room service. Very uncrowded, and about half the cost of a lux line cruise, and no "upsell" of any sort. IMHO, that sort of a deal is not bad at all!

We took that line only because it was a special music cruise featuring bands like The Moodie Blues and Yes, whom we got to meet because most of them too were staying in the Yacht Club.

But I never heard of RCL having anything like that. Celebrity does have something with SOME of those features, but I understand that RCL is the "same old, same old".

Most of both bands no longer are with the bands.,.

Just saw Justin Hayward in concert a few weeks ago. Great show. Nobody showed up. Kind of sad. As a kid, if I could have been any rock star, Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney, Paul Simon, Bruce Springsteen, or Jon Anderson of Yes... I would have chosen to be Justin Hayward, good looking, great guitar, lovely voice, wonderful songs.

So, if I can sign up for all-inclusive cruise and get Justin Hayward at my table at dinner every night... I would gladly pay triple the price. Jon Anderson, had a near death experience and left Yes a few years ago, and he is Yes. Chris Squire the really awesome bass player died this summer. Those two were the heart of Yes.

jc<---- I have no musical talent, but I love music, especially the progressive rock English bands of the 60s and early 70s... even though I was too young to get it when it happened,

As a flowrider addict. RCI now offers three levels of drink packages. You can have just about anything that a crappy restaurant would serve for about $40 a day, as much swill as you can handle. If you upgrade that you can get more and some slightly better drinks for another $10 or $15. If you will give them an additional $10 or $15 you can pretty much have whatever you want... I still think of this as nickel and diming, but if you pay it upfront it may feel as all-inclusive.

Drink yourself silly, I know RCI, Celebrity and NCL do this. By the way the Moody Blues are hosting a four day cruise from Florida with about a dozen other bands on board next February or March.

As a flowrider addict, I have to try to keep my consumption to about 6 or 7 drinks a day...:eek::D

Gotta be able to get up for 8AM advanced stand-up.. best hour of the day....

jc

xpc, you are broadening my horizons. Had no idea who Justin Hayward was, and still have no idea what a "flowrider" is as you're using the term.

(Full disclosure - I listened to the Moody Blues in the '70s, but only when someone else turned on the music and I couldn't manage to flee the room. Not a fan.)

xpc, you are broadening my horizons. Had no idea who Justin Hayward was, and still have no idea what a "flowrider" is as you're using the term.

(Full disclosure - I listened to the Moody Blues in the '70s, but only when someone else turned on the music and I couldn't manage to flee the room. Not a fan.)

You sound like my wife. She is dragging me to an Earth Wind and Fire concert in 2 weeks, as punishment for me dragging her to see JH.

Would you like pictures or Videos to explain "flowrider"?:D

jc

You sound like my wife. She is dragging me to an Earth Wind and Fire concert in 2 weeks, as punishment for me dragging her to see JH.

Would you like pictures or Videos to explain "flowrider"?:D

jc

I'll go in your place....please please please...:D

And me, too!

Wonder where it is....I love Earth Wind & Fire! BTW, I totally agree with your post that any ship with a children's area is too big for us too! I answered that post and two others yesterday, but apparently my post wandered off into cyber space!

Curious, what do you think of Scenic cancelling July and August, 2016 river cruise in France due to "water levels"?

Wonder where it is....I love Earth Wind & Fire! BTW, I totally agree with your post that any ship with a children's area is too big for us too! I answered that post and two others yesterday, but apparently my post wandered off into cyber space!

Curious, what do you think of Scenic cancelling July and August, 2016 river cruise in France due to "water levels"?

Personally, I am not buying that explanation. NO ONE can predict water levels, on any river, a year ahead. And France had very minimal issues this past season and in prior seasons. Me thinks we are not hearing the real story.;)

I would love to know the real story as I am very interested in that itinerary. But I would never again cruise in July or August so those dates would not affect me in any case. :)

Personally, I am not buying that explanation. NO ONE can predict water levels, on any river, a year ahead. And France had very minimal issues this past season and in prior seasons. Me thinks we are not hearing the real story.;)

I would love to know the real story as I am very interested in that itinerary. But I would never again cruise in July or August so those dates would not affect me in any case. :)

Me thinks you are correct!!!;) We don't go anywhere in July or 1st three weeks in August either...too crowded and too hot..and summer is the best time to be on Long Island...we like to travel in late Spring and early Fall. I have no interest in river cruising in France..we did 3 weeks with Trafalgar and next time I go to France I'll fly into Paris and stay in a hotel. It was great though, favorite places were Biarritz and Mont St. Michel....and the Bayeaux tapestry and Normandy beaches were amazing....

Where did this information come from. What France cruises are you referring to. Bordeaux, Rhone or Seine.

Seems ridiculous.

Where did this information come from. What France cruises are you referring to. Bordeaux, Rhone or Seine.

Seems ridiculous.

Read the OPs initial post. His cruise was cancelled by Scenic.

Me thinks you are correct!!!;) We don't go anywhere in July or 1st three weeks in August either...too crowded and too hot..and summer is the best time to be on Long Island...we like to travel in late Spring and early Fall. I have no interest in river cruising in France..we did 3 weeks with Trafalgar and next time I go to France I'll fly into Paris and stay in a hotel. It was great though, favorite places were Biarritz and Mont St. Michel....and the Bayeaux tapestry and Normandy beaches were amazing....

Always thought I wouldn't want to sail in July/August but it turns out our cruise last year through France was our favorite! The weather was mild (mid 60's-low 70's), the river good (a bit high near Lyon) and the "crowds" very reasonable. What was a delightful surprise was the amazing fairs, fetes, art shows and markets being held in the many villages. These local happenings were the highlight of our tour and something we would not have seen at another time of year! But weather is fickle...hot/ cold, wet, dry, high/low river...there is NO good predictor!

Well you can probably figure out where they are with google or Yahoo, for a week from this Friday... they are the homecoming band for the University that will loose the homecoming football came the next day...

I have connections so we will be near the front on the floor. I actually think Phillip Bailey can sing.... I have been dragged to WE&F concerts before, and they are not horrible... My wife has gone to 8 or 9 of their concerts the las 15 years.

jc

Always thought I wouldn't want to sail in July/August but it turns out our cruise last year through France was our favorite! The weather was mild (mid 60's-low 70's), the river good (a bit high near Lyon) and the "crowds" very reasonable. What was a delightful surprise was the amazing fairs, fetes, art shows and markets being held in the many villages. These local happenings were the highlight of our tour and something we would not have seen at another time of year! But weather is fickle...hot/ cold, wet, dry, high/low river...there is NO good predictor!

That would be nice to see....try German rivers in October...less crowded, not as hot, water levels usually fine and Octoberfest is loads of fun too!!! But you're right, just like home, nobody can predict weather with 100% accuracy!!! :D

Could not find the original report of Scenic cancelling French cruises so looked in the latest brochure and their Bourdoux cruise is not taking place during July and August and the previous brochure had listings for July and August. So are they sold out or more likely for some reason they did not think it worth while. Curious! CA

Could not find the original report of Scenic cancelling French cruises so looked in the latest brochure and their Bourdoux cruise is not taking place during July and August and the previous brochure had listings for July and August. So are they sold out or more likely for some reason they did not think it worth while. Curious! CA

Don't think they're sold out because on their web site there was one cruise that was sold out and it said "SOLD OUT" on that date. July and August are just blank now. I'm thinking they're repositioning the ship for somewhere else. I find it hard to believe they chartered it for 4 consecutive cruises.....but I also find it hard to believe they cancelled them because of "anticipated water levels" a year from now! It is curious but I doubt we'll ever find out the real reason....bet you anything it has to do with profit!!! :D

Don't think they're sold out because on their web site there was one cruise that was sold out and it said "SOLD OUT" on that date. July and August are just blank now. I'm thinking they're repositioning the ship for somewhere else. I find it hard to believe they chartered it for 4 consecutive cruises.....but I also find it hard to believe they cancelled them because of "anticipated water levels" a year from now! It is curious but I doubt we'll ever find out the real reason....bet you anything it has to do with profit!!! :D

It would be 8 consecutive cruises, even harder to believe. :)

Diamond is one of Scenics older ships although it was completely upgraded a couple of years ago she is also one of the deeper drafted Scenic ships. One of her new captains was on board Sapphire earlier this year, he is English but mostly brought up in France, mind you some of the ladies did think him a bit young looking to be a Captain. They didn't start the Bourdoux route until quite late this year, did they discover something they didn't anticipate? CA

If it is large enough to have a kids club or any facilities for kids, it is too large for us. ;)

Me too!!!

Diamond is one of Scenics older ships although it was completely upgraded a couple of years ago she is also one of the deeper drafted Scenic ships. One of her new captains was on board Sapphire earlier this year, he is English but mostly brought up in France, mind you some of the ladies did think him a bit young looking to be a Captain. They didn't start the Bourdoux route until quite late this year, did they discover something they didn't anticipate? CA

Could be...at least that makes sense. British men age well.....must be the climate. :D

Mine certainly has! There is an outside possibility that they are moving Diamond back to cover the possibility of having to ship swop but would that be cost effective, maybe Bourdoux has not been that popular in July and August. Maybe a phone call to find out why! CA