Rip Off Britain : Holidays

babs135

Did anyone see yesterday's episode (Wednesday 7th January). I felt they were having a right go at cruises. Only one family had a genuine grievance in that Royal Caribbean wanted to charge them full price for a baby only 3 months old :eek:

The rest were moaning about the 'hidden extras' such as transfers to and from the ship, the cost of shore excursions and the fact that no-one had ever told them that they could remove the automatic tipping from their bill!!

Do these people not read the brochures or talk to their travel agent? Ok, if they are 1st timers I will let them off the hook, but I got the impression they weren't. The expert did explain about tipping.

Forgot to say that they were also cross they couldn't take alcohol on board

Edited by babs135

Did anyone see yesterday's episode (Wednesday 7th January). I felt they were having a right go at cruises. Only one family had a genuine grievance in that Royal Caribbean wanted to charge them full price for a baby only 3 months old :eek:

The rest were moaning about the 'hidden extras' such as transfers to and from the ship, the cost of shore excursions and the fact that no-one had ever told them that they could remove the automatic tipping from their bill!!

Do these people not read the brochures or talk to their travel agent? Ok, if they are 1st timers I will let them off the hook, but I got the impression they weren't. The expert did explain about tipping.

Did not see the program, but is would appear the interviews were with the misrable AH who roam mostly P&O and RCL ships, complaining about anything, and are eager members of the vast "remove gratuties Q" at GR on first day. AKA "stiffers"

Did the program broadcast their catchphrases; "how much?!" or "I'm not paying that!"? :eek:

Edited by PORT ROYAL

Did not see the program, but is would appear the interviews were with the misrable AH who roam mostly P&O and RCL ships, complaining about anything, and are eager members of the vast "remove gratuties Q" at GR on first day. AKA "stiffers"

Did the program broadcast their catchphrases; "how much?!" or "I'm not paying that!"? :eek:

If you did not see the programme, how do you know who they were. You get a few moaners on ALL cruiselines. Been on 30 cruises and have yet to see a vast queue of people waiting to remove their gratuities - how would anyone else know what they were queueing for in any event.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you did not see the programme, how do you know who they were. You get a few moaners on ALL cruiselines. Been on 30 cruises and have yet to see a vast queue of people waiting to remove their gratuities - how would anyone else know what they were queueing for in any event.

One wonders as to why you appear quick to defend or dismiss.:rolleyes:

Actually, they did not mention the specific cruise lines, just cruise lines in general.

I though the so called 'cruise journalist' who was on answering questions needs to brush up on her knowledge. She said that 'the tips go to all staff including bar staff'. Not true on most cruise lines. the daily charge does not cover bar staff, they get theirs from the 15% that most lines add on to the bill. I know on the UK based lines (thomson, P&O ?) that the additional charge is not added, but prices look to be inflated to 'include' it anyway. I think the same is true on RCI ships based out of the UK for the season.

The brochures themselves generally are not very clear either, with usually 5 or 6 pages of what really is small print. Finding the info is not easy even though it is there. For things like the service charge/tips/gratuities what ever you call them, and anything else that is 'additional' should be made more prominant.

Tips are not mandatory. If they were then by UK and European laws they would have to be included in the price. I do not however agree with removing them.

Some people on the show also seemed a bit confused by the term 'full board' taking it to mean all drinks are included when of course they are not. Only 'all inclusive' would include drinks. I for one have never stayed full board at a hotel and had drinks included and I wouldn't expect the same on a ship.

I also have never seen a long queue of people removing tips as soon as they got on the ship. In my experience the queues are because their cards were not working and had to get new ones, people asking for additonal cards for their kid's rooms, and people putting cash into their onboard accounts, and yes, I have been in those first day queues and so do know what those around me were asking for. Do not assume that everyone is there removing their service charges - they are not.

Actually, they did not mention the specific cruise lines, just cruise lines in general.

I though the so called 'cruise journalist' who was on answering questions needs to brush up on her knowledge. She said that 'the tips go to all staff including bar staff'. Not true on most cruise lines. the daily charge does not cover bar staff, they get theirs from the 15% that most lines add on to the bill. I know on the UK based lines (thomson, P&O ?) that the additional charge is not added, but prices look to be inflated to 'include' it anyway. I think the same is true on RCI ships based out of the UK for the season.

The brochures themselves generally are not very clear either, with usually 5 or 6 pages of what really is small print. Finding the info is not easy even though it is there. For things like the service charge/tips/gratuities what ever you call them, and anything else that is 'additional' should be made more prominant.

Tips are not mandatory. If they were then by UK and European laws they would have to be included in the price. I do not however agree with removing them.

Some people on the show also seemed a bit confused by the term 'full board' taking it to mean all drinks are included when of course they are not. Only 'all inclusive' would include drinks. I for one have never stayed full board at a hotel and had drinks included and I wouldn't expect the same on a ship.

I also have never seen a long queue of people removing tips as soon as they got on the ship. In my experience the queues are because their cards were not working and had to get new ones, people asking for additonal cards for their kid's rooms, and people putting cash into their onboard accounts, and yes, I have been in those first day queues and so do know what those around me were asking for. Do not assume that everyone is there removing their service charges - they are not.

Okay, to accept your premise, there are actually huge numbers of people with room access problems, and/or depositing large amounts of cash onto their accounts. :rolleyes:

The point is that you are assuming everyone in the queue on the first day is removing the charges. THEY ARE NOT.

In my experience on 25 cruises most people do that the last night.

Just in the same way you assumed the people on the program were P&O or RCI cruisers, even though you didnt watch it and actually have zero knowledge of it.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The point is that you are assuming everyone in the queue on the first day is removing the charges. THEY ARE NOT.

In my experience on 25 cruises most people do that the last night.

Just in the same way you assumed the people on the program were P&O or RCI cruisers, even though you didnt watch it and actually have zero knowledge of it.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sorry to have touched a nerve.

Interesting debate. Prices are not in all cases 'inflated' to include gratuities as P&O along with Fred Olsen have some of the cheapest drink prices in the industry. On some cruise lines the gratuities are indeed divided by all of the various departments. It is only where a separate gratuity is charged that they are not included.

Yes, we do get ripped off in the UK when it comes to cruise fares which is why so many regular cruisers book through an American agent. Not all cruise lines will allow this but many do and by booking that way you can save a lot of money.

..Only one family had a genuine grievance in that Royal Caribbean wanted to charge them full price for a baby only 3 months old...

Many posters on other boards feel the same way - that cruise lines are not "family friendly" unless the "little ones" sail free.

First and foremost, a cruise line must provide a weight -appropriate life jacket for the baby. The child will require as much bed and bath linen as the parents. At age three months, we can expect the steward will need to frequently empty the bathroom trash can that will be overflowing with soiled diapers. Unless the child is being nursed infant formula or baby food will have to be provided. On ships that have child facilities for those that young the parents often take advantage of evening baby sitting services. And the baby won't be ordering drinks, booking spa treatments, or engaging in other revenue generating activities.

So it is no cheaper to transport a child compared to an adult, and in some cases it costs more.

Edited by BlueRiband

P&O have the cheapest drinks, but they also stick to the UK standard measure of 25ml for spirits, American lines free pour and you get far more. Celebrity in particular are very generous. I've seen a gin bottle empty in ten drinks, UK would get 28 measures from the same bottle.

Edited by Thejuggler

P&O have the cheapest drinks, but they also stick to the UK standard measure of 25ml for spirits, American lines free pour and you get far more. Celebrity in particular are very generous. I've seen a gin bottle empty in ten drinks, UK would get 28 measures from the same bottle.

Thats not what we found on Constellation in October. Very small measures in wine bought by the glass and spirits seemed the same measures as on P&O. Celebrity are certainly very expensive!

Many posters on other boards feel the same way - that cruise lines are not "family friendly" unless the "little ones" sail free.

First and foremost, a cruise line must provide a weight -appropriate life jacket for the baby. The child will require as much bed and bath linen as the parents. At age three months, we can expect the steward will need to frequently empty the bathroom trash can that will be overflowing with soiled diapers. Unless the child is being nursed infant formula or baby food will have to be provided. On ships that have child facilities for those that young the parents often take advantage of evening baby sitting services. And the baby won't be ordering drinks, booking spa treatments, or engaging in other revenue generating activities.

So it is no cheaper to transport a child compared to an adult, and in some cases it costs more.

A baby has to be 6 months old to cruise - i.e. had all their injections. And 12 months old for a Transatlantic or World Cruise.

When we took our family, children under 2 years old travelled free with Cunard as long as they were with two fare paying passengers. I don't know if that's still the case or not.

Although Cunard do provide food, my son took all his own food for my baby grandson and he didn't use the baby sitting service. He slept in a travel cot with of course no pillows.

Edited by Ray66

I understand what you say and to some extent agree with you. If I remember correctly from the programme the couple were astounded that they would have to pay the full adult price. I think they would have been happy with a more realistic costing.

I understand what you say and to some extent agree with you. If I remember correctly from the programme the couple were astounded that they would have to pay the full adult price. I think they would have been happy with a more realistic costing.

But they still Booked for/ Pad for and went on a cruise with the little one.

f you don't like what you can buy, don't buy it, not too hard is it.

But they still Booked for/ Pad for and went on a cruise with the little one.

f you don't like what you can buy, don't buy it, not too hard is it.

Did they? Must have missed that :o Will try and recover programme from deleted section and watch again