Upgrade

charliebartine

But you will have a greater chance of upgrade if you pay for the cruise but DON'T pick a cabin.

Terry

We booked an IA GTY for our 20 day on Royal for 01/28. 20 days to go and still no cabin assignment. We either get what we booked, which is a great location as they are all midship. The next step up would be an obstructed balcony. The way that I way I see it, we are in a win win situation. I'll let you know how that plays out.:cool:

The first time that we cruised on Princess was on the Grand. We got a "Move over" offer that was just to good to pass up. Luckily we had the flexibility to be able to move our date up by 1 week. We were upgraded from a balcony to an aft Owners Suite with all of the amenities. We were also given $500obc. We were very happy and made a great 25th anniversary cruise even better. We also renewed our vows on the ship. Princess did an awesome job with the ceremony. We have cruised on other lines but Princess is our favorite by far. :D

If you pay for cruise, pick a cabin, is there any chance for upgrade???

Yes, of course there is a chance for an upgrade. Based on the responses you've received so far, it is a very good one. However, basing your estimate of chances on a sample that is far from random is not a good thing to do.

Don't count on an upgrade. After almost thirty cruises, we received an upgrade ONCE, and it was our very first cruise. Most people do not get upgrades.

We've received only two upsell offers and they were not on Princess.

If you pay for cruise, pick a cabin, is there any chance for upgrade???
All bookings on Princess are marked "Will accept an upgrade" by default which means that you and every other passenger is hoping for a free upgrade. Quite a few people have this turned off because what Princess considers an upgrade, you may not. The vast majority of so-called upgrades are the exact same cabin type to a different location. Sorry but I don't consider this an upgrade unless you're upgraded to a Caribe deck balcony on a Grand-class ship. One time, I had an Emerald deck mini-suite and Princess "upgraded" me to a far forward mini-suite on Dolphin deck. Uhh... no. Got my cabin back. For my Royal cruise last September, Princess "upgraded" me from an Emerald deck balcony near the stairs to an Aloha deck balcony with no stairs. Uhh... no. Got my cabin back and LOVED the location. Be careful what you wish for. Edited by Pam in CA

All bookings on Princess are marked "Will accept an upgrade" by default which means that you and every other passenger is hoping for a free upgrade. Quite a few people have this turned off because what Princess considers an upgrade, you may not. The vast majority of so-called upgrades are the exact same cabin type to a different location. Sorry but I don't consider this an upgrade unless you're upgraded to a Caribe deck balcony on a Grand-class ship. One time, I had an Emerald deck mini-suite and Princess "upgraded" me to a far forward mini-suite on Dolphin deck. Uhh... no. Got my cabin back. For my Royal cruise last September, Princess "upgraded" me from an Emerald deck balcony near the stairs to an Aloha deck balcony with no stairs. Uhh... no. Got my cabin back and LOVED the location. Be careful what you wish for.

So, because the Window Suite, if available on my sailing on the Golden, is the only Suite with Disability Access, I should have the TA mark "No Upgrade" stating, if possible, Disabled Accessibility Required, on my booking?

1st cruise, way out of my comfort zone, but Cruise Critic members to the rescue-it's amazing how often I log on to read the threads, and find the answer to something that was concerning me! Just saw in the junk mail, something needed (camera cards) for the cruise, so that's noted on my shopping list! Anything ready to go is "parked" in the carryon suitcase for the present.

Crochetcruise :cool:

So, because the Window Suite, if available on my sailing on the Golden, is the only Suite with Disability Access, I should have the TA mark "No Upgrade" stating, if possible, Disabled Accessibility Required, on my booking?

yes, Yes, YES, in other words YES!

Upgrades can be made up to 24 hours of sailing. If you don't check your personalizer within a few days of the sailing ( not everyone does) you may find that you have been upgraded when you arrive for check in. These changes would have been made prior to sailing day.

Have been upgraded a few times. First cruise (on Carnival) got upgraded from one inside to another, but landed right under the dining room. The sounds of late night vacuuming didn't exactly make it an upgrade for us. Another time did get an acceptable upgrade. The last few times we selected a specific cabin and I did emphasize at the time of booking that we wanted our booking marked "no upgrade." As stated above, what the cruise line might consider an upgrade, it might not be for you if you get an undesirable location.

What about the Captain's cabin.....:D:D:D

Bob

But then you might have to share the responsibility if something major went wrong on the cruise!

Thanks everyone who endorsed getting the TA to mark my booking "No Upgrade", we are going to ring Princess re my need for Disability Accessible cabin so I'll make sure that point is emphasised-have used grab rails in the bathroom for 20 years, and not happy when travelling and have to rely on the walker to get up safely-don't feel anywhere as safe!

My TA did check the availability of the Disabled Accessible Window Suite yesterday and it was still available, hope it isn't booked until I go in to her in a fortnight! I'm like a kid eagerly counting the sleeps until Christmas! Funny, I was quite excited about a Disabled Accessible Premium Balcony stateroom, then my friend rang on orders from her Great-Uncle-In-Law who'd found the Golden Princess had an Accessible Full Suite! I was told to price it, have also been told that if my budget wouldn't stretch, she'd have sent the money over for me to make sure I got the chance to cruise. It's only a 2 nighter, but I get to experience 2 different airports that I haven't used for over 35 years so LOTS of changes there; get to experience the Melbourne "Rip" which can be quite rough and test your tolerance for rough water provoking seasickness, and I've already planned to use a prescribed medication I've used previously to nobble that spoiler; and should, God willing, have another chance to meet up with an aunt who's becoming very frail!

I will meet her when I go to Adelaide for my monitoring tests in April, but each visit may be the last to her, so it's eagerly looked forward to. Oh thanks for jogging my memory, I had planned to fly into Adelaide from Sydney the day of disembarkation, overnight in a preferred hotel, then visit the Zoo and fly home, will adjust to go visit the aunt (and budget to allow for changing the airfares should God need her before I cruise.) She and her late husband have stood by me for years, I now make a point of regularly phoning her, and always, when in Adelaide for medical tests, going down to see her. I specifically budget to take a taxi down to her retirement unit, she doesn't drive and is getting frailer so I'm better to go to her.

Thanks to you people, I've been discreetly prompted to tweak my budget in plenty of time, for something I had forgotten about. Whew! Cruise Critic members to the rescue again!

Edited by crochetcruise
Spelling and punctiation mistakes *sad face*

Thanks guys, I'm having trouble doing multiple copy and paste to respond to another's posting. Not very strong on the technical side, although the old notebook computer is being a pain in the sitting area IYKWIM? It is on the list of planned spending for 2015, in July I'm looking to replace it.

We booked an IA GTY for our 20 day on Royal for 01/28. 20 days to go and still no cabin assignment. We either get what we booked, which is a great location as they are all midship. The next step up would be an obstructed balcony. The way that I way I see it, we are in a win win situation. I'll let you know how that plays out.:cool:

We are on the 18th, 28 and 7th sailing of the Royal and booked a IA gty too, still waiting for assignment. I am like you, I am happy if I get what I book and even happier if I get the obstructed balcony or better.

See you on board