hat or ear muffs?

Manbo

We are taking our first Alaska cruise in early May. My wife wears ear muffs as opposed to hats, i am concerned that she will be cold and that a hat should be purcahsed for this trip.

I guess i would like some input....hat or ear muffs?

The problem w ear muffs is that they do not cut the wind. It can be cold on the deck. You are going in early May. Just remember that if you are on a ship going at 15 knots into a 20 knot wind and the outside temperature is 45 degrees, the wind chill temperature is 35 degrees.

Where are you guys from? How well does your wife tolerate cold? That said, you can always buy an Alaskan souvenir if she is cold.

DON

Buy a couple beanie style hats. They will keep your head (and ears if they are big enough) warm enough, they don't take up any more space than a pair of socks in your luggage (and the fit in a jacket pocket when you don't need it), you can wear them under your earmuffs, and you will get them on clearance here in the next few months (I usually see them for around a $1 at Wally World during clearance).

Don't forget a scarf!

Edited by ikirumata

Everyone is different, I've worn both....

• baseball cap with ear muffs works perfectly
  • folicle challenged may prefer the hat more than the ear muffs.
  • you can always buy a hat from the ship or souvenior shop.
  • what type of hat are you thinking of? Baseball caps might get blown off in a strong wind on the ship deck. Vancouver can sell you the famous Tilley hat that comes with a neck strap.

I bring an ear band (fleece material that covers ear). Not a fan of hats either but I do bring a jacket that does have a hood, if necessary.

That's what I do, too. I also bring along a scarf that I can do the babushka- type thing if needed. I look lovely :rolleyes: :D

I, too (well....three actually:D) totally agree w/Coral and CP's suggestions. I have a knitted headband that covers my ears on glacier days or when I'm out on deck (which is almost always in AK!). Then I wear a hooded sweatshirt under my waterproof rain jacket. When the rest of my head gets cold w/just the knitted headband, I pull up the hood on the sweatshirt, and then the hood on my rain jacket as well. Even if it isn't raining, the hood on the rain jacket is a great wind breaker and insulated. Sometimes I also wear a visor anchored under my knitted headband to keep the weather out of my eyes and the hoods from sagging and blocking my view should it be raining. A knitted scarf to pull things tight around my neck completes my ensemble. Purely functional and keeps me toasty warm. Like CP said, may not be pretty, but IMHO Alaska ain't no fashion show!;)