Changing menu in Windjammer

flowers44

DH and I are going on the Brilliance of the Sea Repo Cruise in October. The Brilliance has had her upgrades and I was looking at the information on the ship. When I went to the Windjammer portion, it said it was a buffet for Breakfast and lunch and it served restaurant style for dinner with a changing menu. Does this mean that it is not set up as a Buffet for dinner? We enjoy going to the Windjammer instead of the MDR because we have more choices for dinner and pretty much can get whatever we want. Last year on our B2B on the Explorer, we ate dinner in the Windjammer 11 our of the 14 nights. I am hoping the Brilliance still serves the buffet in the evening. Anyone who has been on Brilliance, what was happening?

I've not read of any such radical change in Windjammer on Brilliance. Maybe they just mean the dinner menu changes every night?

I am hoping the same thing. We enjoy the relaxed atmosphere of the buffet and being able to take what we want. It is one of the best kept secrets of cruising, the buffet being open at night. Very few people show up there and it is really relaxing. If you don't want to get dressed up for Formal night, you don't feel out of place. They even dim the lights and make it really cozy. I hope it only means that the menu changes each night. They did a different country each night last fall, Mexican, Italian, French, German, American, etc. It was great to try different foods.

On some ships (forgot which ones) part of the WJ was set up with tablecloths. It very nice. It was still a buffet however.

I don't even know if they still do that. I have not seen it in a while. Maybe that is what RCL considers restaurant style.

And the menu does change somewhat every day.

Edited by molly361

I am hoping the same thing. We enjoy the relaxed atmosphere of the buffet and being able to take what we want. It is one of the best kept secrets of cruising, the buffet being open at night. Very few people show up there and it is really relaxing. If you don't want to get dressed up for Formal night, you don't feel out of place. They even dim the lights and make it really cozy. I hope it only means that the menu changes each night. They did a different country each night last fall, Mexican, Italian, French, German, American, etc. It was great to try different foods.

I agree, we've come to enjoy Windjammer for dinner occasionally. Much quieter and less hectic than the dining room. If Dynamic Dining spreads to other ships, we will probably be eating dinner in Windjammer more often.

I think they meant each night, one item from the Main Dining Room would be available, and since that changes nightly (the Chef's recommendation), this constitutes "changing every night" in WJ. WJ will always be buffet style. Every night it's the same dishes, except for that one item.

I agree, we've come to enjoy Windjammer for dinner occasionally. Much quieter and less hectic than the dining room. If Dynamic Dining spreads to other ships, we will probably be eating dinner in Windjammer more often.

Us too, and if I'm dining in WJ exclusively, I remove the auto gratuity and pay my cabin steward in cash and leave cash on the table in WJ. The only catch is, we'd still be dining by ourselves in WJ whereas with DD, there's a chance we'd get seated with other couples and have someone to talk to.

We were on the Brilliance in October and had dinner in the WJ most nights. What you described is what they did in the WJ for dinner, a different theme each night plus a lot of the MDR options. We had Mexican, Indian, Italian, Asian and NY burroughs as the themes we saw. They had a stir fry noodle station every night also. The NY night was the first I have seen in the WJ and was an interesting choice for a ship sailing from Boston. They had root beer glazed ribs and some other stuff that I don't remember but didn't care for. They had a huge cake with a I love NY symbol in the middle of it.

They had a make your own pizza bar a few times and a make your own soup that looked good. I am sure there were other things that changed night to night but that is all I can think of right now.

Thank your for all of your responses. I am glad to hear that the Windjammer has not gone to servers at night. We really enjoyed eating there for many reasons, one being that we are not "get all dressed up and go out to eat" people. By the middle of the cruise, the staff knew that I liked my "Arnold Palmers" to drink and the man in charge would stop by our table each night and talk with us. Don't let the secret out that there is this great place to dine for dinner.