What is a reasonable time frame for your TA to get back to you?

mysaddlebred000

Problem solved.

I just called her and told her my wife has changed her mind and I want to cancel our upcoming cruises.

Have to fly to NY for a meeting tomorrow and will discuss the next step with my wife when I return.

Good discussion

Good for you! You should get better attention and also save some money by doing that.

Mike:)

Now, just help me tell her I don't want to keep my upcoming bookings with her. How in the heck can I get out of them??? and not hurt her feelings!

You are the client. She is working for you, not visa versa. If you hurt her feelings, it is not your problem.

DON

It might have kinder to let her know your dissatisfaction when cancelling. If she doesn't know she is doing wrong, she has no chance to fix it before she looses another customer. That said, you really should be getting much better service and also discounts. A new agent is in order.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not the OP, but possibly this is a common problem. I gave my TA several chances to call and email me back. It was no emergency, but two weeks before my cruise I called and asked him to call me or email. One week before, I asked for him to call. Still no call. I go on my cruise, no call or email. I buy a FCC. He magically calls me now. Go figure!

if you're doing all the work, why the TA? i haven't used one since our good friend retired long time back...

IMO you don't need a travel agent. period.

in this day of the internet and being able to do every thing myself, I was always under this impression. That TAs were so "my parents" kind of thing. It wasnt until I became a user here that I was turned on to the idea of a TA. I had one once that I had to use for a work thing (incentive trip) and they offered no service so I didnt feel the need to use one ever again.

This Friday I leave on my first of 3 upcoming cruises booked with a TA and I am so happy. She is a high volume discount TA and probably has 1000 clients, but when I call or email, I am treated like I am her only one.

Out of anything I have taken away from Cruise Critic was a great TA and that you need one.

I have four upcoming Princess cruises that I booked through my TA of 10 years. I have found over the past six months that she doesn't reply to my questions very fast or at all. We just booked three cabins over Christmas and I was very frustrated because I couldn't get my answers right away. When I get around to do some planning, I like to know what I am dealing with and not have to put my files away for days. My wife tells me to be patient but three days is more than enough time I think. She advertises that she is available to clients 7 days a week. I have spent a great deal of money with her. We always have a suite and if we bring the kids or grandchildren, that can be two or three more cabins.

My questions range from

asking her to book a cruise and I give her the ship, date and cabin or cabins numbers we want - I do all the work. I do get upset but have never said anything to her when a cabin is sold before she books it.

Other questions are about flights she has booked through the ship and something is wrong with it.or something that is wrong on the personalizer.

Mainly they are things that I need answered before I can go on with my planning

I don't want to be too specific since I think she comes her.

My wife keeps telling me to tell her that I am upset but when we talk she apologizes for taking so long - always has a different reason and she is really nice and I don't want to hurt her feelings.

So, how long is too long?? thanks

My TA gets back to me the same day and usually within the hour. I would NEVER tolerate a TA who wouldn't return my calls or answer my questions.

if you're doing all the work, why the TA? i haven't used one since our good friend retired long time back...

I am using a TA for this upcoming cruise for the first time in years. The last TA I used for a cruise (4 back) really messed things up. But I thought I'd give it a go again because I was looking at multiple lines and itineraries. That said, I did all the research myself. But I figured in this case it was better. But in the end I've booked my own flights and pre-cruise hotel and I'm wondering why I am using a TA.

That said - mine gets back to me on the same business day. I would absolutely not be using him if he didn't.

If you're doing all of the research and all of the work, why are you using a TA? Sounds like you might be better off doing it yourself and working directly with the cruiseline. :confused:

If she has so many customers that she can't make you a priority? You might want to find someone who could really use the business.

The reason for using a TA is for the discounted fare (usually 15-20%), the additional provided OBC's, the advance notice of any sales, the emailing of new itineraries as soon as the agency receives them before Princess has released them to the public and the ability to contact her and have her deal with any issues while traveling. I would NEVER use a TA if the price was the same as Princess price. We, too, do all the work and know exactly what we want when we book. Our TA has nothing to do but do the booking. However, it seems crazy to book with Princess direct when the TA can give me an additional OBC (on top of what I have already received from Princess) as well as a discounted price and the perks also mentioned. My TA is fabulous, works for a large agency, is always readily available and when she is not there are other associates at the agency who are more than happy to help. I'm a pleased cruiser.

Edited by whatcruiseisnext

My TA will respond within 24 hours and even when he's on vacation, he would check his email/voicemail and contact me from abroad if I need help.

If you spend $20000 on a suite and you get nothing from the TA, it's time to look for a better one. Mine would have discounted that room a lot or gave me perks way more than the $300 you got from your TA. :D

My TA gets back to me very quickly. In fact if she is on a cruise herself, she still replies asap. I have seen her do a booking while on a cruise even when it is a short cruise that does not involve her getting much commission. That's why in my book she is the best.

I have four upcoming Princess cruises that I booked through my TA of 10 years. I have found over the past six months that she doesn't reply to my questions very fast or at all. We just booked three cabins over Christmas and I was very frustrated because I couldn't get my answers right away. When I get around to do some planning, I like to know what I am dealing with and not have to put my files away for days. My wife tells me to be patient but three days is more than enough time I think. She advertises that she is available to clients 7 days a week. I have spent a great deal of money with her. We always have a suite and if we bring the kids or grandchildren, that can be two or three more cabins.

My questions range from

asking her to book a cruise and I give her the ship, date and cabin or cabins numbers we want - I do all the work. I do get upset but have never said anything to her when a cabin is sold before she books it.

Other questions are about flights she has booked through the ship and something is wrong with it.or something that is wrong on the personalizer.

Mainly they are things that I need answered before I can go on with my planning

I don't want to be too specific since I think she comes her.

My wife keeps telling me to tell her that I am upset but when we talk she apologizes for taking so long - always has a different reason and she is really nice and I don't want to hurt her feelings.

So, how long is too long?? thanks

This why I keep control of my own bookings and don't use a TA usually. Why should you have to walk on eggshells when you're giving someone your business?

I went into the TA office on a Saturday and ask at the desk if they could book flights using Credit Card Points and the girl said she was new and didn't know. The girl said when TA is done with the Client and i could ask the TA. We sat for about 20 minutes and the TA finished. I said to her "I have a Quick Question" she said she only takes appointments on Saturday and walk off:eek:. She is no longer my TA and travel several times a year....

Edited by dhaza

Same here. I almost always get a response within an hour or so even if it's to tell me that she'll get back to me.

As for why I use a TA, there are several reasons why I use a TA: advance notice of sales, advance information when new itineraries are released, savings of 10-20% over Princess fares, OBC and other incentives, and finally, an advocate. I can't think of a single reason to book directly.

Pam, I agree with you. I had an excellent TA who was on the ball & always had everything in place plus was in constant communication with her clients. I never had to worrry about any last minute "surprises" with my itinerary. Unfortunately, a few years ago she lost her job due to the poor economy & didn't return to the industry. As a result, I have been looking for another great TA, but have not been successful & encountered the same issues that others have. It can be stressful when a TA doesn't return your call or knowing you can be missing deals because of the lack of response time.

Therefore, I have learned to do my own research using CC as well as other Internet searches to put together my own travel packages. It is very time consuming; however, in the end I do get exactly what I want, educated in the meantime, & cheaper than Princess. Yes, I am sure I am missing out on discounts that TAs have, but everyone I know does their own itinerary & CC does not permit exchanging of TA contact information.

Personally I think 24 hours is sufficient.

I would be looking for a new TA.

Mike:)

Like bhopal21 said, If they take more than 24 hours, then it’s time for a “New TA”! When booking our upcoming cruise, we wanted to book an Aft Suite, so we contacted 2 highly recommended TA’s by email at 8:00am the day booking started being accepted. The first one got back within in 30 minutes, while we didn’t hear from the second one for 4 days! Oh yeah, did I mention that all of the suites on the cruise were sold out on the first day by 6:00pm! We got our second choice but are quite happy. When the second TA emailed her reply and wanted to know if she could be of assistance as she had been busy booking other cruisers on their cruises. Well, we politely told her NO, she was 4 days late and her commission short!

So looking forward to this cruise and also working with the first TA on our next cruise. We might also say that we received a very nice discount and OBC from our TA!

Also called Mike! :D

Edited by RetiredNTraveling

But of course,the main reason is the discount that you should receive from the T/A totaling 10%-12% when booking with Princess.Otherwise,there is no real reason,as stated you do all the work anyway!

But of course,the main reason is the discount that you should receive from the T/A totaling 10%-12% when booking with Princess.Otherwise,there is no real reason,as stated you do all the work anyway!
Very true. Depending on the sailing, cabin category and when you book, you can save significantly more than 12%. Plus, your TA is your advocate should there be a problem. A year or so ago, I didn't receive my FCC OBC after boarding and even showing my booking confirmation at the Passenger Services Desk, which clearly showed that I'd booked with an FCC, they refused to apply it saying I had everything I was due. I contacted my TA. The OBC was on my account two hours later. It was $150... definitely worth fighting for.

Okay, now I'm wondering if I should have a little discussion with my TA. We are definitely NOT getting 10-12% less than I would've gotten booking directly and there are already a couple of other red flags that have come up - like getting the first confirmation letter then getting another one a week later that said "oh, the OBC listed on that last letter was $25 more than it really is... here is the right amount."

Are you guys really getting that much of a discount?

You people are much more patient and tolerant than I am. I expect they answer the phone when I can. If they are not available I expect it to be less that a half hour for the call to be returned. If I call early in the moring, I will call back before lunch. Then maybe two more times before the office closes.

But, that is why I quit using TA. I like most of you said, do my own planning and I'd rather keep control over my own business.

You people are much more patient and tolerant than I am. I expect they answer the phone when I can. If they are not available I expect it to be less that a half hour for the call to be returned. If I call early in the moring, I will call back before lunch. Then maybe two more times before the office closes.

But, that is why I quit using TA. I like most of you said, do my own planning and I'd rather keep control over my own business.

I do my own planning but I like to save money, preferably lots of money. I email my TA and she responds within an hour, if not faster. For a cruise I recently booked, I'm saving 15% over the current sale price on the Princess website. That represents a substantial amount of $$$. :)

I stopped using my TA that we had for years because he got worse about getting back to me. If I called at 10 am, I may finally here from him 4 pm the next day. I never called him unless it was about something important . Now I book directly with Princess and they are available to answer any questions.